Sears (Willis) Tower to Open "The Ledge"

HuskyCaucasian

HELL NO! *wets his pants*

Sears Tower Opening Glass-Bottom Sky Deck In June

The view from atop the nation's tallest building is about to get even better.

In June the Sears Tower will open a glass-bottom sky deck as part of a multimillion dollar renovation of the building, the Chicago Sun-Times reports.

The new attraction, called The Ledge, will feature four feet of glass only an inch-and-a-half thick jutting out from the observation deck. Visitors will be able to see straight down to the city streets 103 stories below.

Each viewing enclosure can support about five tons, a tower executive told the Sun-Times, which is three more than the city requires.

The iconic building will officially become the Willis Tower later this summer.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 1, 2009 -> 06:11 PM)
I'd f***ing s*** myself if I got near that thing.

And why is it only an inch and a half thick? Is that to show off or something? I don't see the point.

Because the thicker it is, the more of its own weight there is to support.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 1, 2009 -> 05:23 PM)
They have something similar at the CN Tower in Toronto. It is incredible, and I will be going to do it as soon as it is open.

The one in Toronto is awesome, you can see right into the ballpark. Would love to check this one out as well. Don't know if I'd walk on it though.

I'd try the Grand Canyon one before I'd do this, for no other reason than the Sears Tower's is going to be retractable; thus there's greater danger that something mechanical could go wrong.

• 5 weeks later...

Any word on when this will be open? I'm SO there!!!!

Another one I'd love to try (if I ever make it to Melbourne, Australia) is called THE EDGE and it's in the Eureka Tower, about 300 meters up. This one is a glass box that starts off inside the building and is projected outward about 3 meters. The glass starts out frosted, then once the box is locked into place the glass becomes clear, accompanied by shattering glass sound effects (talk about diabolical!!!).

QUOTE (zimne piwo @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 03:38 AM)
Any word on when this will be open? I'm SO there!!!!

Another one I'd love to try (if I ever make it to Melbourne, Australia) is called THE EDGE and it's in the Eureka Tower, about 300 meters up. This one is a glass box that starts off inside the building and is projected outward about 3 meters. The glass starts out frosted, then once the box is locked into place the glass becomes clear, accompanied by shattering glass sound effects (talk about diabolical!!!).

Apparently DBAHO s*** down his leg when he went on this tower which made others projectile vomit.

• 5 weeks later...