Jerry Owens Opts for Free Agency

Kalapse

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....-part-ways.html

Jerry Owens, White Sox part ways

By Mark Gonzales

ARLINGTON, Texas - The Jerry Owens era with the White Sox's organization is finally over.

Owens declared for free agency instead of accepting his outright assignment to Triple-A Charlotte. Owens was designated for assignment on Friday.

Glad I never have to watch him play baseball again.

Good luck in your future endeavors, Jerry. The Atlantic League is calling your name.

I can understand why he'd want to leave. But if he couldn't make it in this organization, with its weak crop of CFs and Chris Getz as his only strong leadoff competition, I doubt that he'll make it elsewhere. He needs to consider a career change.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 2, 2009 -> 09:21 PM)
Newark Bears, the Cook County Cheetas, or even the Joliet Jackhammers.

I believe Carl Everett, Ryan Bukvich, Tim Raines Jr., Keith Foulke, Tim Bittner and Oneli Perez are all on the Newark Bears' roster. Jerry would feel right at home.

Another much hated player by the fans is gone.

s***, maybe somebody will take a flier on him. Leaving the Sox apparently cured whatever was ailing Swisher during his piece of s*** season on the South Side.

He gone.

Next must move is getting rid of Lillibridge.

The man is overmatched at this level.

And I'm in favor of sending Contreras down for a month.

He is not going to win in the big leagues with his current stuff/approach. He's 0-4 for godsakes.

He's got to go down.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 3, 2009 -> 12:10 AM)
He gone.

Next must move is getting rid of Lillibridge.

The man is overmatched at this level.

And I'm in favor of sending Contreras down for a month.

He is not going to win in the big leagues with his current stuff/approach. He's 0-4 for godsakes.

He's got to go down.

I think before they move Contreras to the minors, they should try him in the bullpen. Even as much as he has struggled, his ERA is only about 3.00 the first 2 or 3 innings. I think as he builds up strength, he should be able to go longer, but the guy was supposed to be a bullpen guy when he got back in August and he was on the opening day roster in the rotation. Things could be worse. He could be named Oliver Perez.

Lillibridge is a minor leaguer but for some reason he's highly thought of.

As far as Owens, the guy just didn't have it. He had a great Sept. 2007 that fooled many. Has an ex-football player been any more of a cream puff than Jerry Owens?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 2, 2009 -> 09:25 PM)
I believe Carl Everett, Ryan Bukvich, Tim Raines Jr., Keith Foulke, Tim Bittner and Oneli Perez are all on the Newark Bears' roster. Jerry would feel right at home.

Tim Raines is also the manager... and Ron Karkovice is the hitting coach!

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 3, 2009 -> 07:29 AM)
Tim Raines is also the manager... and Ron Karkovice is the hitting coach!

Karko is a hitting coach? :lolhitting

Anyway, JO, best of luck to you in whatever you choose to do next. Sorry it didn't work out, but, you couldn't cut it here. Hopefully you can sneak on somewhere as a 4th OF or the like.

I wonder how many pages of posts we could fill over the years about how the Sox show favoritism towards Owens.

He had what, 390 career ABs as a 28 year old? Most in a meaningless year.

Hopefully now this ends the conspiracy theorists re: ozzie, kw and favoritism.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 3, 2009 -> 09:16 AM)
it's a blast from the past looking at that roster. It's mainly just former prospects who were colossal busts, AAAA players who can tear the ball up, or older players who use to be really good.

Bobby Brownlie and Bobby Hill together again.