Jerry Owens Opts for Free Agency

Kalapse

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 3, 2009 -> 03:25 AM)
I believe Carl Everett, Ryan Bukvich, Tim Raines Jr., Keith Foulke, Tim Bittner and Oneli Perez are all on the Newark Bears' roster. Jerry would feel right at home.

If Keith Foulke is there we might think about signing him for middle relief

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ May 3, 2009 -> 03:50 PM)
I wonder how many pages of posts we could fill over the years about how the Sox show favoritism towards Owens.

He had what, 390 career ABs as a 28 year old? Most in a meaningless year.

Hopefully now this ends the conspiracy theorists re: ozzie, kw and favoritism.

Favortism is not what I was thinking. They tried to give the guy an honest shot, but he didn't show much with the bat. But, remember his catch a couple weeksa ago? He gave it his all for the team. He just didn't have a whole lot to give is all. Good bye and good luck Jerry O

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 3, 2009 -> 04:32 AM)
I think before they move Contreras to the minors, they should try him in the bullpen. Even as much as he has struggled, his ERA is only about 3.00 the first 2 or 3 innings. I think as he builds up strength, he should be able to go longer, but the guy was supposed to be a bullpen guy when he got back in August and he was on the opening day roster in the rotation. Things could be worse. He could be named Oliver Perez.

If he needs some time off to build strength, I'd rather that the Sox fabricate an injury and give him a stint or two on the 15-day DL. He can build strength and do some throwing on the side.

QUOTE (tommy @ May 3, 2009 -> 01:34 PM)
How is Poreda doing in the minors?

You should keep an eye on the Future Sox area of the board - lots going on with interesting prospects (which we have a lot more of know), you can even see how they are doing game by game.

Mariners Sign Jerry Owens

By Tim Dierkes [May 3 at 5:59pm CST]

According to Ryan Divish of the Tacoma News Tribune, the Mariners signed outfielder Jerry Owens to a minor league deal. Owens was designated for assignment to make room for Scott Podsednik a few days ago.

Owens, 28, spent most of last year at Triple A (his third stint at the level). He hit .276/.346/.316 with 30 steals in 43 tries. In their 2007 Handbook, Baseball America had this to say about his defense: "He covers plenty of ground in center field, though his arm is below average."

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ May 3, 2009 -> 11:10 PM)
Mariners Sign Jerry Owens

By Tim Dierkes [May 3 at 5:59pm CST]

According to Ryan Divish of the Tacoma News Tribune, the Mariners signed outfielder Jerry Owens to a minor league deal. Owens was designated for assignment to make room for Scott Podsednik a few days ago.

Owens, 28, spent most of last year at Triple A (his third stint at the level). He hit .276/.346/.316 with 30 steals in 43 tries. In their 2007 Handbook, Baseball America had this to say about his defense: "He covers plenty of ground in center field, though his arm is below average."

With our luck he will probably become a proficient and prolific power hitter

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 5, 2009 -> 10:19 PM)
Can someone elaborate on this "Dye incident"?

JD got hit on the knuckles with a fastball and there was initial thought that he had broken his hand and would be out a while. It's fine now.