We are literally the worst team ever.

Reddy

QUOTE (daggins @ May 4, 2009 -> 03:07 AM)
I was half joking and half not. I'm not one to give up after April. It is kind of hilarious how awful some of the lineups we're putting out there have been.

KW has no one to blame but himself. When you do nothing during the offseason to upgrade your MLB roster, this is what's going to happen. A few injuries, and you're resorting to an outfield with Lillibridge and Podsednik. I never thought I'd miss DWise as much as I do.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 4, 2009 -> 03:08 AM)
Rate the off season moves now

The Vazquez trade was fine...anyone with a brain knew that he would be traded. The Swisher trade was pathetic the second it was announced, and it looks even worse now. I do enjoy watching Betemit bat against RHP though.

QUOTE (daggins @ May 4, 2009 -> 04:11 AM)
Betemit can play third the way a three legged dog can chase a car.

That's never stopped Ozzie from playing certain players at certain positions. Betemit isn't good defensively at 3rd base, but he seems more comfortable there than at 1st base.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ May 3, 2009 -> 10:13 PM)
That's never stopped Ozzie from playing certain players at certain positions. Betemit isn't good defensively at 3rd base, but he seems more comfortable there than at 1st base.

Hey, as long as he keeps hitting and Fields doesn't i'm down.

I just don't see him as anything more than a stopgap.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 4, 2009 -> 03:03 AM)
No no no! You traded Swisher to get Betemit as a possible replacement for Josh Fields if he struggled. If you don't play Betemit at 3rd base then, it makes a terrible trade even worse. Getz doesn't have the arm to play 3rd base.

Getz has been playing pretty well. Nix showed some real poise out there today. I think most of the problem has been injuries and the inability to deliver the clutch hit. I also wonder at times if Coack Cox at 3B is becoming too tentative in sending runners. However the scenario when we get a runner (s) in scoring posiiton and less than 2 outs is a K followed by an out of some type. I would like to see Fields dropped farther down in the line up. Lilli got a couple singles today but singles are all he hits and not many of those. Betemit shows some power, but he is an atrocious 1B defender. I don't know where else to put him though. Can he really play any infield position or is that just what the Yankmees told KW when he was traded? Middle relief is still a problem in my book, We just aren't gellin yet and hopefully wer are better than a .500 team

QUOTE (fathom @ May 3, 2009 -> 10:10 PM)
KW has no one to blame but himself. When you do nothing during the offseason to upgrade your MLB roster, this is what's going to happen. A few injuries, and you're resorting to an outfield with Lillibridge and Podsednik. I never thought I'd miss DWise as much as I do.

You'll know its bad when you start to miss Jerry Owens

If our offense sucks like this, then I would rather see us go all out on defense. Nix and Lillibridge at 2B and SS respectively is as good (outstanding actually) as it gets. If you can't score, save your pitcher some runs. You put Alexei in CF, and for the love of God you put Quentin in RF. I'm sure Getz can handle LF. (can't be any worse than Pods) Pleeeeeease get well soon Brian Anderson.

The relief has been amazing. Have we lost a game this year that we had the lead in the 7th inning and on? The middle relievers aren't there to try and win games for the Sox. They're there to save the main 4 in the bullpen from having to pitch in blowout games.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 4, 2009 -> 04:18 AM)
If our offense sucks like this, then I would rather see us go all out on defense. Nix and Lillibridge at 2B and SS respectively is as good (outstanding actually) as it gets. If you can't score, save your pitcher some runs. You put Alexei in CF, and for the love of God you put Quentin in RF. I'm sure Getz can handle LF. (can't be any worse than Pods) Pleeeeeease get well soon Brian Anderson.

Why does everyone think Lillibridge is great defensively? And as well as Nix played tonight, the love for him on this site is crazy right now.

Nix is getting love 1) because he's "new" to many, 2) everyone is sick of talking about Pods/Wise/Owens/Lillbridge, and 3) he was raved about on the ESPN national broadcast tonight and looked good at the plate.

It's fine to play the likes of Lillibridge and Nix against a Zach Greinke, when the score very well might be 1-0 and you need all the defensive help you can get. The problem is that the likelihood of stringing together 3-4 singles in one inning against Greinke...well....it's not that high.

It's not like Lillibridge and Pods can get on and you automatically assume they're at 2nd or 3rd on their own. No way. Brent hasn't refined his SB technique and Pods is/was done a long time ago in terms of being a real effective basestealer.

Therefore, you just have to take your chances with players like Ramirez and Betemit, based on their offensive track records and the fact that with the weather heating up, there will be a tremendous amount of slugfests. Not to mention the fact that with Contreraras seemingly done, and whoever starts in the fifth spot very iffy at best, we'll need to outslug our opponents to win 60-70% of the time, and then rely on the pitching 30-40% of the time.

Last year, that formula was reversed, with the pitching being the dominant factor.

If you look at our best teams recently (2003, 2005, 2008), our pitching was around an ERA of 4.00 or less in all those seasons, and it was very good in the first half of 2000 before it broke down in the 2nd half.

None of this talk about our line-up really matters if we don't get consistent quality starting pitching.

Edited by caulfield12

Lilli, Pods, Betemit and Corky just aren't as beatsly as Ozzie thinks they are.

You are overreacting a bit, but I will admit that when I took a quick glance at the lineup, I had to look back and make sure I wasn't watching a AAA game.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 3, 2009 -> 09:47 PM)
Absolutely, going 80-82 this season would be the worst possible outcome for this organization.

That makes zero sense. we actually have a number of good young players this year AND some more getting ready for 2010 and 2011. If you are the Sox, and you need to be competitive to draw crowds (which is the case), then why on earth would you want to lose WORSE this season? If the Sox don't draw crowds and retain season ticket holders (and sponsors), that is less money they can spend next year.

The worst possible outcome for the organization is winning 70 games, finishing last. Going 81-81 and competing all the way to the end is the 2nd best case scenario, behind actually winning the division.

Also, I have defended Ozzie (and will continue to do so) for playing his bench. But I really do wish he wouldn't have a "bench day" like last night. I thought he had finally learned to get away from that, based on last year (he did it a lot less last season). But now its back - run the whole bench out there in one game. Not a good strategy.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 4, 2009 -> 07:11 AM)
Also, I have defended Ozzie (and will continue to do so) for playing his bench. But I really do wish he wouldn't have a "bench day" like last night. I thought he had finally learned to get away from that, based on last year (he did it a lot less last season). But now its back - run the whole bench out there in one game. Not a good strategy.

And never play Scott Podsednik in RF again. Ever.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 4, 2009 -> 06:11 AM)

The bench strategy would have looked a whole lot better last night if the guys who are paid to hit when it matters, had hit when it mattered. The four guys (Pods, Lilli, Miller, and Nix) that were being slammed here as minor leaguers went 4-15 with a sac fly. The problem was Fields, Q, and PK went 1-11 with 5 Ks, a GIDP, and 10 LOB.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 4, 2009 -> 06:28 AM)
The bench strategy would have looked a whole lot better last night if the guys who are paid to hit when it matters, had hit when it mattered. The four guys (Pods, Lilli, Miller, and Nix) that were being slammed here as minor leaguers went 4-15 with a sac fly. The problem was Fields, Q, and PK went 1-11 with 5 Ks, a GIDP, and 10 LOB.

That is a good point. I still think Ozzie shouldn't run them all out there at once like that though - better to spread them out a bit more, IMO.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 4, 2009 -> 11:09 AM)
The worst possible outcome for the organization is winning 70 games, finishing last. Going 81-81 and competing all the way to the end is the 2nd best case scenario, behind actually winning the division.

Yeah, it just killed this team in 2007 and the subsequent 2008 season. This should be the last year on the Sox for anyone associated with 2005 besides for Buehrle and Konerko (due to contract). Dye and Jenks don't look like they'll fit in for 2009 (10 million plus would be too much for either). KW's moves last offseason sure made it seem like he was focused on the 2010-2011-2012 Sox season instead of the 2009, so he should stick to the plan if things don't pan out the first 4 months.

BTW, according to Baseball America, Birmingham is the 2nd most exciting minor league team in the country this year. Just an interesting tidbit I heard yesterday.

Jenks isn't worth that kind of money, although I think he'll probably end up closer to $8 million next year in arbitration.

This is just going to be a "muddling through" year, which is unfortunate, but necessary.

Nobody is going to run away with the division, because all of the teams have numerous weaknesses. In all likelihood, the team that gets that best starting pitching (probably KC or DET) will take the division.

Having watched a game in DET this past weekend (versus CLE), I have a sense that the Tigers will win it, because their bullpen is much improved with Zumaya back, Seay has been very effective, and then they have Rodney, Perry and Dolsi in the minors has a great arm, too. Verlander is finally starting to get himself straightened out, and they still might get contributions from Robertson, Willis and/or Bonderman.

What we DO need to find out this year:

1) Are Fields and Anderson everyday, reliable players? Ditto Getz.

2) Can Ramirez be effective at SS?

3) Where will Beckham end up playing?

4) Do we have any starters capable of solidifying the back end of the rotation next year? Poreda? Richard? I've given up mentioning Marquez, Egbert and Broadway. Replacing Contreras won't be difficult at all (hard not to improve on his numbers), but getting Colon's numbers (so far) from one of our minor leaguers, doubtful!

5) Can Viciedo field well enough to stay at 3B?

6) How can we blend playing time for Allen and Konerko...since the Sox don't want a rookie like Brandon to be the primary DH, do they?

7) Is it too soon to add Shelby and/or Danks into the CF conversation, or will KW have to make another move?

Is there a future for Jayson Nix with this organization, and where would it possibly be?

I just don't get why so many people are acting surprised about this team right now. We all know this team will NOT compete this year and really this season is for us to see what the kids can do. If we wanted to win then Kenny would of pulled some triggers on some deals this offseason and Ozzie wouldn't be so damn inconsistent with his lineup selection.

Did anyone catch the Ozzie interview yesterday with John Miller during the game. The hilarious piece of that whole interview was when John mentioned to Ozzie that this team just relies on the long ball. Ozzie's response was we have more speed this year..Are you kidding me..yes more speed, but Ozzie one small problem...What good is it when they can't get on base!

QUOTE (MO2005 @ May 4, 2009 -> 06:42 AM)
I just don't get why so many people are acting surprised about this team right now. We all know this team will NOT compete this year and really this season is for us to see what the kids can do. If we wanted to win then Kenny would of pulled some triggers on some deals this offseason and Ozzie wouldn't be so damn inconsistent with his lineup selection.

Yes - for those fans who carried a ridiculously optimistic attitude into this season, given this obviously flawed roster, I think a more tempered outlook might serve you better. When I read that some people on this board were picking this roster to win 90 games I could not believe what I was reading, particularly because such a large proportion of the board seemed to be thinking that way.

This comes as absolutely no surprise to me. We went into the season without a complete major league rotation, without a major league CF or leadoff guy, and relied on a bunch of guys who had fantastic years last year to simply deliver on exactly the same level. Feels more like 2001 to me than anything else.

And make no mistake - this team will be in it all year because the division is so bad, but the ceiling is about 83 games as the roster currently stands. This is a rebuilding year in disguise, always has been.

Edited by Greg Hibbard