We are literally the worst team ever.

Reddy

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ May 4, 2009 -> 12:25 PM)
I never said this.

No, you said this:

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ May 4, 2009 -> 08:50 AM)
Yes - for those fans who carried a ridiculously optimistic attitude into this season, given this obviously flawed roster, I think a more tempered outlook might serve you better. When I read that some people on this board were picking this roster to win 90 games I could not believe what I was reading, particularly because such a large proportion of the board seemed to be thinking that way.

I will take my ridiculously optimistic attitude over your piss poor pessimistic attitude every day of the week

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 4, 2009 -> 12:31 PM)
Okay, I'll ask this question.

Can the argument possibly be made that we (2009 White Sox) are better or even with that 2006 Cardinals' team?

Right now it really doesn't matter. The Cardinals were awfully bad for a long while that season. The White Sox swept them. They trounced them twice then won 1-0 with one hit, a Thome homer. But they played great in October. Its not inconceivable a lot of these guys can get hot at the same time. Home field in the WS would be huge because Thome is such a huge part of the White Sox offense. If he's hot, and Dye and Quentin and Konerko are hot and Buerhle and Danks and one of the 3 of Floyd, Colon or Contreras are throwing well and the bullpen is healthy, this team can beat a lot of baseball teams. Its unlikely everyone is clicking at the same time, but stranger things have happened. I really doubt anyone is going to run away from the rest of the division and if White Sox playoff tickets become available, I will buy them.

There's overly optimistic, there's realistic/pragmatic and then there's overly pessimistic.

As far as 2009 goes, there has been no reason to be optimistic, other than the fact that the warm weather is ahead of us and no team in the division has run out in front like the Tigers in 06 or the Indians in 07.

Arguably, this is the weakest year for the division (winner) but the most parity and overall depth, top-to-bottom, since the current version of the AL Central was formed. Think of it like the 08-09 Big 10 Conference in BB.

I am very optimistic about the future, even as soon as next year, IF we can find at least one more starting pitcher. I am very pessimistic that pitcher will come from our current minor league roster of pitchers.

This argument (really a war) raged on in 2006 as the hopes for the season faded and then those who felt the White Sox were still as good as 05/06 finally gave up the ghost or disappeared in that dreadful 2007 season. The difference is, at that time, the hope for the future was Wasserman, Fields, Owens, Brian Russell and Andy Gonzalez. The future, due to the reinvigorated farm system, looks a lot brighter at least.

Thankfully the Tigers traded away Maybin/Jurrgens and Robertson/Willis/Sheffield/Renteria all went into the tank, or the Tigers would be the best team in the division. Now, with Magglio/Guillen/Polanco aging, they're up against the same issue the White Sox have. OTOH, with Granderson, Cabrera and Inge, they still have a nice, younger core of players to build around.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 4, 2009 -> 12:49 PM)
Nix can also play 3B as well as SS.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/Fielding/N/Jayson-Nix.shtml

Jayson Truitt Nix has played all of 9 (yes NINE) games at 3B in his entire career (majors/minors). He was playing SS and 2B in our minor league system. What do you base your comment upon?

Chris Getz has more experience at 3B, actually. And Betemit.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ May 4, 2009 -> 12:58 PM)
Can we change the subtopic of this thread?

That would be SERIOUSLY awesome!

are you seriesly asking us to change that word to the correct spelling? series?

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 4, 2009 -> 11:32 AM)
I will take my ridiculously optimistic attitude over your piss poor pessimistic attitude every day of the week

If being ridiculously optimistic includes being desultory and condescending as well, I guess I'll just be thankful for my "piss poor pessimistic attitude" having SOME perks.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ May 4, 2009 -> 01:13 PM)
Yess, I kuld knot beau more serious

I cannot believe you dont understand the reference

Did you vote in the "Best threads of 2008" for the Soxtalk awards?

Edited by kyyle23

From a near 40 year look at this team, this team is about average. Enjoy the surprises, a nice winning streak, maybe a breakout player or performance (back to back 300, enjoy a few games for the sake of enjoying baseball, keep expectation low and if by some miracle games in September count, WOW.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ May 4, 2009 -> 01:24 PM)
I really have no idea what your talking about.

"series" is an inside joke(sort of, most posters know it by now) from a thread, and that thread was nominated for thread of the year

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ May 4, 2009 -> 12:12 PM)
I did call 4th place back in the winter!

This team is far from anything good, too many bandaids on many open wounds.

Who are these bandaids?

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 4, 2009 -> 05:19 PM)
Who are these bandaids?

I enjoy people who make claims and then do not back them up.

The White Sox like kielbasa! They also do not sushi! They would much prefer if it was cooked!