OK, put the cell phones down for a second!

Steve9347

Is it just me, or have people completely crossed the line with their cell phones? I know it's been this way for awhile, but I remember a time when taking a call or looking at s*** on your cell while you were at family functions, a party, dinner, etc was considered bad manners.

I've got so many friends and family members who sit there staring at their cell phones while in a group... be they texting, or surfing the Web, or posting on f***ing Facebook. It's really out of hand.

I've made a conscious effort to look at my phone less... but you almost feel less popular if you aren't texting every one of your friends every f***ing detail of your night and where you'll be... it's unbelievably annoying.

Anyway, share your stories in this thread of cell phone rudeness and annoyance.

It's basically impossible to maintain a conversation with anyone who owns an Iphone or Blackberry.

It would suck to be a teacher these days. I have a class that banned laptops. So now everyone is staring at their crotches thinking the professor doesn't notice they're on Blackberrys.

I don't have Facebook, and I hate the idea of it. But honestly, it's getting to be that there is no other way of communicating.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 4, 2009 -> 01:09 PM)
Is it just me, or have people completely crossed the line with their cell phones? I know it's been this way for awhile, but I remember a time when taking a call or looking at s*** on your cell while you were at family functions, a party, dinner, etc was considered bad manners.

I've got so many friends and family members who sit there staring at their cell phones while in a group... be they texting, or surfing the Web, or posting on f***ing Facebook. It's really out of hand.

I've made a conscious effort to look at my phone less... but you almost feel less popular if you aren't texting every one of your friends every f***ing detail of your night and where you'll be... it's unbelievably annoying.

Anyway, share your stories in this thread of cell phone rudeness and annoyance.

I was just thinking about this on the way up the elevator this morning. There were 6 people with me all staring at their cellphones.

I'm always on my phone, but I'm not a jackass about it. I'm on the phone all the time because I'm on the internet all the time, and now i can get on the internet on my phone, so it's just logical.

For an example of jackassery, see all of the people in Congress that were twittering while the president was giving his joint address. Just no.

I usually find it annoying when I am talking with someone and their phone rings or they get a text and they answer it. Seriously, I'm standing right in front of you, what makes that person so much more important? They haven't even taken the time to meet you, why do they take priority? Call them back later, or excuse yourself then go and talk to them if you really think it is important.

QUOTE (vandy125 @ May 4, 2009 -> 03:12 PM)
I usually find it annoying when I am talking with someone and their phone rings or they get a text and they answer it. Seriously, I'm standing right in front of you, what makes that person so much more important? They haven't even taken the time to meet you, why do they take priority? Call them back later, or excuse yourself then go and talk to them if you really think it is important.

I get annoyed when I'm on the phone with someone and they keep interrupting to talk to people in the background. My mom is probably the worst violator of this.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 4, 2009 -> 02:14 PM)
I get annoyed when I'm on the phone with someone and they keep interrupting to talk to people in the background. My mom is probably the worst violator of this.

Thank you. My mother and grandmother do this to me all the time.... I ask them wait a minute...you called me right? I feel like I am interrupting you with this phone call.

QUOTE (vandy125 @ May 4, 2009 -> 02:12 PM)

Next time it happens...turn around and walk away.

I agree, to a point, though. If you are in a social situation...put the phone away. It's like reading at the dinner table.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 4, 2009 -> 12:48 PM)
I'd love for new cars to have a disabling mechanism for all cell phones while the car is in drive.

Yep.

I've been railing on this point for a long time.

The only logical counterpoint would be the need for 911 if someone was following you or something.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 4, 2009 -> 07:22 PM)
People who talk on bluetooth in public, when they're not in the Car, or at some pressing business function, need to be imprisoned.

Even worse are people talking on speakerphone in public areas. Seriously? We don't want to hear your damn conversation!

QUOTE (Disco72 @ May 4, 2009 -> 06:31 PM)
Even worse are people talking on speakerphone in public areas. Seriously? We don't want to hear your damn conversation!

One reason i'm damn glad that Nextel phones have dropped in popularity.

"Beep Beep" phones are bad. f***ing pick up the phone and have a natural phone call.

Yes, people need to stop being addicted to their phones. Having 50 text conversations is normal these days it seems. People have such short attention spans and are preoccupied with other people that they just sit on the phone. This is a huge problem with the under 20 demographic. They aren't even sharing relevant information, just texting because they can.

Texting while having an actual conversation with a person in front of you...well, that should get you kicked in the nuts/vagina.

You all have said it very well. I used to be all against cell phone bans while driving, but that was before texting. STOP THE f***ING CAR if you are going to text. My daughter and I almost got ran over the other day in the parking lot because some dickhead was texting driving through the parking lot at a shopping center. I couldn't cuss him out because my daughter was standing there but I did scream "watch where you're going and get off the phone".

Banning laptops in a lecture is so stupid: to whoever said that.

I'm sure there are a lot who are browsing when talking, but lap tops in small classes have been such an asset for me, especially in news, as we can bring up points and everyone can see what we are talking about.

QUOTE (The Critic @ May 4, 2009 -> 04:13 PM)
Yep.

I've been railing on this point for a long time.

The only logical counterpoint would be the need for 911 if someone was following you or something.

Meh. When does that ever happen to anyone?