Contreras on alert

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 5, 2009 -> 10:59 AM)
well said. not to mention that this 3rd option would get released.

That was fairly unsurprising in hindsight. I was wrong on him because I was hoping for the best, he got his chance and couldn't do jack with it.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 5, 2009 -> 12:38 PM)
ESPN insider reporting that the Sox have talked to Pedro...

It doesn't say anything of the sort. Its from the Daily Herald and Scott Gregor, the guy who said KW would put a waiver claim on Luis Vicianco and instead of just handing him over the Cubs would send over some money to pay him as well. It just says he will start looking at guys like Byrd, Pedro, Garcia and Odalis Perez.

yes, let's go sign someone who has not pitched since baseball classic and wouldn't be able to go till another month. No knock on any of free agents, but it will take awhile before their even ready to go be even considered in rotation. best option is minors

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 5, 2009 -> 01:01 PM)
It doesn't say anything of the sort. Its from the Daily Herald and Scott Gregor, the guy who said KW would put a waiver claim on Luis Vicianco and instead of just handing him over the Cubs would send over some money to pay him as well. It just says he will start looking at guys like Byrd, Pedro, Garcia and Odalis Perez.

So it was worthless speculation in other words. Thanks.

I'm all for signing Pedro, or even Paul Byrd. But if we're crying poor, Aaron Poreda, please...

No Clayton. He's not a god damn starter and he never will be...He's barely a middle reliever...

well since you all have been inquiring and sorry i wasnt able to respond to each of your emails but YES today was the day that the morning doves officially left the nest. they are sitting in front of my office window. i will miss them when they finally fly away on their first flights! thanks for all your care. we are all great whitesox fans.

QUOTE (striker62704 @ May 6, 2009 -> 10:23 AM)
I hope Contreras gets rocked tonight. I'm tired of this up and down crap. It's time to move on to something better.

Yeah, maybe they can bring up Wes Whisler to take his place? Do you realize that what comes after Contreras is going to be worse?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 6, 2009 -> 08:46 AM)
Yeah, maybe they can bring up Wes Whisler to take his place? Do you realize that what comes after Contreras is going to be worse?

Which is why I kept saying it was a massive failure for the Sox to do what they did. People kept saying we had depth and the smart ones knew that Marquez was crap (at least currently), that Richard doesn't have enough pitches to be a successful starter, Broadway doesn't have command, etc etc etc. Fact is the Sox were counting on Colon and Contreras and had absolutely no alternative readily available.

In fact, I still think the Sox priority in the draft should be on pitching, pitching and more pitching because the fact of the matter is aside from guys in the lower levels (who have a lot left to prove) there are very few even potential high impact arms in the system.

Poreda is the only one at a high enough level and I consistently will tell you that he isn't ready to be a high impact starter with his current arsenal, although if his sinker is truly plus plus, that could change.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 6, 2009 -> 06:17 PM)
Which is why I kept saying it was a massive failure for the Sox to do what they did. People kept saying we had depth and the smart ones knew that Marquez was crap (at least currently), that Richard doesn't have enough pitches to be a successful starter, Broadway doesn't have command, etc etc etc. Fact is the Sox were counting on Colon and Contreras and had absolutely no alternative readily available.

In fact, I still think the Sox priority in the draft should be on pitching, pitching and more pitching because the fact of the matter is aside from guys in the lower levels (who have a lot left to prove) there are very few even potential high impact arms in the system.

Poreda is the only one at a high enough level and I consistently will tell you that he isn't ready to be a high impact starter with his current arsenal, although if his sinker is truly plus plus, that could change.

How similar are Poreda's K/BB ratio to those of Cotts when he was in AA?

QUOTE (fathom @ May 6, 2009 -> 10:33 AM)
How similar are Poreda's K/BB ratio to those of Cotts when he was in AA?

Are they even close? Cotts was filthy down in AA. Plus I don't know how you can really compare the two guys considering they have completely different stuff. Cotts never had the dominanting fastball, but the hitch in his delivery (when healthy) made him very tough to catch up to.

However, I remember Cotts struggled with his command and thus struggled during his initial call-up with the Sox. So maybe you are talking about how Poreda also struggles with command. Regardless I don't look too into the numbers in that sense, I look more at the fact that Poreda has a lot to learn, although I've heard his breaking pitch is getting better and better and I also know the Sox are trying to have him throw less of his best pitch (FB) so that he can further develop and hone his other stuff.

I hope we get better results out of Poreda as a starter than Cotts.

I think about the only thing they would have in common would be 100 pitch counts within 4-5 IP. It doesn't seem that Poreda will be able to miss many bats if he's behind in the count (while his FB moves more than Thornton's, it certainly doesn't move like Bartolo's)...Cotts got by more with deception and being "sneaky" fast but neither had/have reliable secondary stuff.

The jury is still out on Poreda developing into a legit starter, but, to hear Ozzie recently, he's not in the current thinking of the club. I suppose that could change, but, based on "hints," it would seem 2nd half 2009/2010 is more realistic for when they feel he'll be CLOSER to being ready.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 6, 2009 -> 06:40 PM)
However, I remember Cotts struggled with his command and thus struggled during his initial call-up with the Sox. So maybe you are talking about how Poreda also struggles with command. Regardless I don't look too into the numbers in that sense, I look more at the fact that Poreda has a lot to learn, although I've heard his breaking pitch is getting better and better and I also know the Sox are trying to have him throw less of his best pitch (FB) so that he can further develop and hone his other stuff.

Yes, more about command. I know their stuff isn't similiar at all. It just seems like Poreda would have a hell of a time completing 5 innings at the big league level right now. It will be interesting to see if he can cut down on the wildness the rest of his minor league season.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 6, 2009 -> 10:51 AM)
Yes, more about command. I know their stuff isn't similiar at all. It just seems like Poreda would have a hell of a time completing 5 innings at the big league level right now. It will be interesting to see if he can cut down on the wildness the rest of his minor league season.

I'd put him more on par with a poor man's Scott Kazmir.