Go Away Pods

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ May 5, 2009 -> 05:50 AM)
Looking at this roster Pods is not the dead weight on it. He can do enuf to be on my 25 man.

Fact is we traded the prize commodity , starting pitching to Atlanta, and we have Lillibridge right now to show for it.

Texas trades Mark Texiera to Atlanta, basically a rent a player, and amongst others Texas got Elvis Andrus.

We trade Swisher for no immediate help either.

It appears our GM is not restocking the team as we were led to believe by the GM.

The best players in the deal are not in Chicago yet. I don't think there is anyone who would have said different from day one.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 5, 2009 -> 11:34 AM)
The best players in the deal are not in Chicago yet. I don't think there is anyone who would have said different from day one.

Seriously, the Javy trade was to get Flowers, and the rest didn't really mean much. As for the Rangers-Braves trade, the Rangers got a hell of a lot more than Andrus. That was an amazing trade by the Rangers.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 5, 2009 -> 06:46 AM)
Seriously, the Javy trade was to get Flowers, and the rest didn't really mean much. As for the Rangers-Braves trade, the Rangers got a hell of a lot more than Andrus. That was an amazing trade by the Rangers.

They also traded a great young hitter Mark Texiera in a bidding war, and not Javy Vazquez after another late season blowout. The difference in returns is to be expected.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 5, 2009 -> 12:51 PM)
They also traded a great young hitter Mark Texiera in a bidding war, and not Javy Vazquez after another late season blowout. The difference in returns is to be expected.

Oh yeah, in no way was I saying that the Rangers got a steal and we got screwed. I don't mind the Javy trade at all, and think Flowers will be a huge part of this organization for the next 8 years. Saltlamacchia hasn't even looked that good so far, but Neftali Feliz is one of the best prospects in baseball. Harrison has potential to be a good starter as well.

You typically don't see the Braves fleeced as much as this.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 5, 2009 -> 04:46 AM)
Seriously, the Javy trade was to get Flowers, and the rest didn't really mean much.

Not to mention unloading Javy's salary, which is above market value in this economy and is a bit high for a guy who can't get it done in pressure situations. After his big-game failures in Chicago and NY, and his average year in Arizona, it's not surprising that Kenny didn't get a Chris Young-type player in return.

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 5, 2009 -> 11:00 AM)
it's not surprising that Kenny didn't get a Chris Young-type player in return.

Chris Young is hitting .174 with a .569 OPS this season.

Brent Lillibridge is hitting .167 with a .494 OPS this season (Young has 2x the at bats).

Lillibridge has 8 walks, Young has 6. The difference in OPS comes almost entirely from Young's 2 home runs. Young is 2/4 on steals, Lillibridge is 3/3.

What do you mean Kenny didn't get a Chris Young-type player in return? Are you talking about the Padres pitcher?

:lolhitting

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 5, 2009 -> 01:00 PM)
Not to mention unloading Javy's salary, which is above market value in this economy and is a bit high for a guy who can't get it done in pressure situations. After his big-game failures in Chicago and NY, and his average year in Arizona, it's not surprising that Kenny didn't get a Chris Young-type player in return.

To be fair, Tyler Flowers could very easily become as valuable or more so than Chris Young has been (or was projected to be). That type of power usually doesn't come from a guy behind the plate. All the Sox have to do is hope he can contribute sooner than Saltalamacchia.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 5, 2009 -> 11:45 AM)
To be fair, Tyler Flowers could very easily become as valuable or more so than Chris Young has been (or was projected to be). That type of power usually doesn't come from a guy behind the plate. All the Sox have to do is hope he can contribute sooner than Saltalamacchia.

Yeah, that's definitely possible. And the Sox will be needing a replacement for AJ in the upcoming years.

I recall A LOT of people here drooling over Salty a couple of years ago. Ouch...

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 5, 2009 -> 01:45 PM)

Aj is signed through 2011, correct? Flowers has time to develop, and work on that defense!

QUOTE (joeynach @ May 4, 2009 -> 11:43 PM)
This team is carrying 07 style dead weight, just not major players at all.

07:

Pods

Erstad

Mackowiak

Andy Gonzalez

Luis Terrero

Alex Cintron

Danny Richar

09:

Pods

Wise

Lillibridge

Betemit

Nix

Contreras (sorry to say it)

How bout we give Nix a bit more time before he goes on your **** list? 3/7 so far, with one game coming against the best pitcher in baseball right now. Only one of four to even get a hit last night. I guess thats not enough for your standards. You just lost our seat when the Nix ship takes off buddy.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ May 5, 2009 -> 04:08 AM)
We wouldn't be talking about this had we not given Swisher away for nothing.

Can't disagree. Betemit might still come around, but he is a role player with not a real good glove. Swisher played an excellent 1B when needed all three OF positions and could DH. So he pouted last season. Seems like management should have kicked him in the butt rather than get rid of it

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 5, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
Can't disagree. Betemit might still come around, but he is a role player with not a real good glove. Swisher played an excellent 1B when needed all three OF positions and could DH. So he pouted last season. Seems like management should have kicked him in the butt rather than get rid of it

They also needed some of that money to sign Viciedo. It's also only April.

I have little doubt Swisher is going to put up better numbers this year overall, but he's not some superstar that would greatly effect the team. The problem is that the club isn't using Betemit as they should right now. Even with mediocre defense, there is no reason he should not have been playing 3B last night (with all due respect to Nix, who did get a hit).

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 05:50 PM)
At first I thought this thread was made because Pods joined the whine club with Fields and Wise.

Yeah I thought it was a new thread too, I'm glad I remembered I chose not to participate in this thread, lol