KW should be embarassed

caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 6, 2009 -> 06:33 PM)
If Rowand hated him so much, why did he take his calls in 2006 when he was with a different team? Did he have a Zen-like trance over Aaron?

Should have written it more clearly...Rowand refused to work with Gary Ward in Chicago (I think Walker was in AAA at that that) and had a great relationship with Walker after he was promoted (to Chicago, to take Ward's job) and then called to ask for his help when he was struggling and getting booed early in his Phillies' career.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OOps, thanks for the clarification.

That's interesting stuff on how he liked Walker.

I personally don't think hitting coaches matter that much, but I guess that's open to debate.

Also a good DeLuca take on the situation.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/deluca/1562...eluca07.article

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 6, 2009 -> 07:38 PM)
Should have written it more clearly...Rowand refused to work with Gary Ward in Chicago (I think Walker was in AAA at that that) and had a great relationship with Walker after he was promoted (to Chicago, to take Ward's job) and then called to ask for his help when he was struggling and getting booed early in his Phillies' career.

I don't know if that's true. There was an article with Rowand saying that Walker was one of his best friends but implied that the Phillies' hitting coach taught a "feel" rather than mechanical approach which was way better for him.

In fact, this was the bizarre quote where Rowand called Greg Walker was the best hitting coach, but that his swing was better with Milt Thompson.

Leaving behind Greg Walker, a man Rowand refers to as "not only the best hitting coach in baseball, hands down, but also one of my best friends," Rowand was forced to rely more on his own knowledge to make corrections with his swing. This bit of personal growth should help answer critics who point to 2007 as a spectacular anomaly compared to his past solid seasons.

"During the last couple of years, I learned a lot about myself and my swing," said Rowand, who hit .309 in 2007, with 27 home runs, 45 doubles, 89 RBIs and 105 runs scored. "[in Chicago] I depended on [Walker] to watch and break down every one of my swings, and I leaned on him and depended on him too much, instead of learning a feel.

"Milt Thompson is Philadelphia's hitting coach, and I have nothing bad to say about Milt whatsoever. But he doesn't break down your swing mechanically the way that Walker does. He's more of a feel guy than about mechanics with the swing.

"So it's almost like I became my own hitting coach and had to make adjustments myself," Rowand added. "I'm already out swinging right now. Two months have gone by, and normally when I start hitting, I feel like I don't know what I'm doing. This year, I feel like I'm right there still."

Edited by G&T

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 6, 2009 -> 09:14 PM)
OOps, thanks for the clarification.

That's interesting stuff on how he liked Walker.

I personally don't think hitting coaches matter that much, but I guess that's open to debate.

Also a good DeLuca take on the situation.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/deluca/1562...eluca07.article

I posted this somewhere before, but Walk was on Mully and Hanley and basically said as much. For the vets, he's a psychologist not a swing doctor. For the rooks, he's more of a tutor to help them adjust to major league pitching.

Not that he doesn't teach...so I don't want to get into that discussion, but something to keep in the back of your head.