KW should be embarassed

caulfield12

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just the prevailing term (it might as well be Corpseball) for the tendencies of MOST of our offensive players over the last decade...of course, no hitting coach will say something like they prefer their players to all be like Thome (unless it's a ball hit to the OF).

That would mean a major league record for strikeouts and balls hit off the end of the bat because of not covering the outside 1/3rd of the plate.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2009 -> 09:37 AM)
It's just the prevailing term (it might as well be Corpseball) for the tendencies of MOST of our offensive players over the last decade...of course, no hitting coach will say something like they prefer their players to all be like Thome (unless it's a ball hit to the OF).

That would mean a major league record for strikeouts and balls hit off the end of the bat because of not covering the outside 1/3rd of the plate.

You mean no hitting coach would want every player to be a HOF-caliber hitter? Huh? Your desperation is clouding your judgement. Take some time off from obsessing about the Sox, go outside, meet some girls, buy a thai hooker (no penis), do something else for a few days.

The problem with Walker and the Sox offense is that adjustments if made are temporary (one game or half of game) and there are no adjustments made through the game based on what pitchers are doing.

I am not part of the team so I could be 100% wrong but it appearsto me that if a pitcher can pitch to a scouting report and stay with it, the Sox will struggle.

Adam Eaton and Cyasaurus should not shut the White Sox down.

Also any mediocore bullpen pitcher seems to be able to impose their will on the Sox quite regularily, I know not every game but on a regular basis, I use Baltimore as a good example of this.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 5, 2009 -> 09:35 AM)
? So we have alot of depth? How's the view from the ledge?

There is no ledge this year. It's not 2005 at the end of the season, the end of 2006, the beginning of 2007...or the end of 2008.

Having a ledge means having a degree of expectations, and White Sox fans (most) realize this team is a 76-84 win team that will look great at times and horrendous at times...like now, when we're the worst team in the entire AL at scoring runs. Obviously that won't continue.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2009 -> 09:37 AM)

Actually most hitting coaches wouldn't mind players working like Thome, as he is a master at hitting the ball hard up the middle and the other way. He actually hits most of his homers in those directions, and not to RF.

QUOTE (scenario @ May 5, 2009 -> 09:42 AM)
As I reread this thread, I can't help but think...

Wow, amazing what a 3-game losing streak can do to some fans.

doesnt surprise me much anymore. Remember the long losing streak that concluded in Toronto last year? Total meltdown shortly thereafter(as well as during, and a little bit before)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 5, 2009 -> 09:43 AM)
Actually most hitting coaches wouldn't mind players working like Thome, as he is a master at hitting the ball hard up the middle and the other way. He actually hits most of his homers in those directions, and not to RF.

But, but, but. I only think of Thome as the 38 year old hitter he is today!

If you told a hitting coach that he was going to work with players that ONLY put up an avg of .278 .405 .559 .964, im sure he would run the other way.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 5, 2009 -> 09:39 AM)
You mean no hitting coach would want every player to be a HOF-caliber hitter? Huh? Your desperation is clouding your judgement. Take some time off from obsessing about the Sox, go outside, meet some girls, buy a thai hooker (no penis), do something else for a few days.

Hmm...no, I would not tell our young hitters to watch Ken Griffey, Jr., or Thome. It would be as illogical as telling them to imitate Willie Stargell's or Joe Morgan's "chicken wing" or Roberto Clemente stepping into the bucket on most of his swings, or Hank Aaron holding the bat cross-handed.

They were Hall of Famers, but they won't be getting there largely because of their accomplishments with the White Sox.

Just to answer your concern, there are no Thai hookers in Iowa, and my g/f is in another country...but I would gladly frequent voodoo doctors, witches and a Native American shaman if they could turn Brent Lillibridge into Lenny Dykstra.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 5, 2009 -> 09:46 AM)
But, but, but. I only think of Thome as the 38 year old hitter he is today!

And he's still damn good at 38. his average isn't so good, but it will go up a bit, and I'll take that .900-ish OPS he's likely to post from my DH every time.

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ May 5, 2009 -> 09:48 AM)
w sox have already committed 5 errors this month with 2 on sat, 2 on sun, and one last night. Anyone got stats where w sox rank in errors up till now?

Some of these errors are from bench players or players out of position, due to injuries. Just keep that in mind.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2009 -> 09:46 AM)
Hmm...no, I would not tell our young hitters to watch Ken Griffey, Jr., or Thome. It would be as illogical as telling them to imitate Willie Stargell's or Joe Morgan's "chicken wing" or Roberto Clemente stepping into the bucket on most of his swings, or Hank Aaron holding the bat cross-handed.

FYI, learning from a hitter isnt copying his exact stance, swing path and quirks, but is watching some of the best hitters of all times approach at the plate, per at bat, certain pitchers and also situations. A swing only gets a player so far, its the hitter's strategy and adjustments that make them great. KGJ and Thome would probably be 2 of the 5 players I would tell a young hitter to watch.

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ May 5, 2009 -> 09:48 AM)
w sox have already committed 5 errors this month with 2 on sat, 2 on sun, and one last night. Anyone got stats where w sox rank in errors up till now?

4th (worst) in the majors in errors committed with 20.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 4, 2009 -> 06:29 PM)
I am still tying to figure out the Swisher deal. What Nick needed wa s akick in the pants not a trade.

From what has been discussed on this board, few in the clubhouse liked Swisher, especially Ozzie. If you're not a good "fit" here, it's not going to work out. Swisher had a favorable contract by last year's standards, but that's changed since the economic downturn.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2009 -> 03:20 AM)
This is beginning to feel like the late 80's and late 90's.

We're in a transition year.

I agree. The combination of an excess of aging, over-paid aging veteran talent and the bad economy gave the organization little choice. Spending now would be a bad idea. Next year, something like $60 million comes off the books and Kenny will be able to negotiate contracts with FAs this winter with a favorable "bad economy discount."

Also agree that the Sox need to slash ticket prices soon. But given the financial commitments that the Sox still have, it probably won't happen until next year.

I know aka bench players been put out there last 3 games. But, knowing where spring training left off with having the most errors. It shows nothing was done about it and will continue. Ozzie sitting there being real quiet now and knows that there is no help on the way. It's about time Ozzie try to rip into them as seeing last year it turned that team around after tampa.

The Greg Walker stuff is crap. There is not and there has never been a "lift and pull" philosophy. He works with what he has. The White Sox have been constructed with guys who hit home runs for years. These types are very streaky. When they aren't going well, no runs will be scored. The balance management has tried to create has never really worked out. Hopefully guys like Getz and Beckham will correct that. Why is it when the Sox don't score, its all Greg Walker's fault? Why isn't it Don Cooper's fault when Contreras and Floyd fail to hold runners on base or when a pitcher gets lit up? When a Sox player swings for the fences and pops up, Walker must go. When MacDougal throws another one to the screen, no one is calling for Cooper's head. Why isn't it Joey Cora's fault when another rundown goes awry? The Walker stuff needs to stop. Its time to blame the guys walking up to the plate with a bat. These are major league players. They are supposed to have some sort of clue. So many around here hate the "all or nothing" approach a lot of White Sox hitters supposedly have, yet love Josh Fields and also said Ryan Sweeney was garbage because he didn't hit enough home runs.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 5, 2009 -> 09:50 AM)
FYI, learning from a hitter isnt copying his exact stance, swing path and quirks, but is watching some of the best hitters of all times approach at the plate, per at bat, certain pitchers and also situations. A swing only gets a player so far, its the hitter's strategy and adjustments that make them great. KGJ and Thome would probably be 2 of the 5 players I would tell a young hitter to watch.

Not now, though. Maybe in their primes.

If the White Sox can get their players healthy and find an option for Contreras' spot...all the while holding close to .500, I think this team can contend. Getz, Fields, Alexei, Quentin, Lillibridge and Nix are still learning on the job.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 5, 2009 -> 10:12 AM)
Not now, though. Maybe in their primes.

If the White Sox can get their players healthy and find an option for Contreras' spot...all the while holding close to .500, I think this team can contend. Getz, Fields, Alexei, Quentin, Lillibridge and Nix are still learning on the job.

He wasnt saying copy their stance, he was saying to watch their approach and strategy. ESPECIALLY right now you would want a young hitter noting those things from veteran hitters.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 5, 2009 -> 10:26 AM)
He wasnt saying copy their stance, he was saying to watch their approach and strategy. ESPECIALLY right now you would want a young hitter noting those things from veteran hitters.

I was thinking about it and pretty much most of the hitters I idealize in the MLB as hitters have very unique and almost uncopyable quirks. Pujols for example. I wouldnt tell a hitter to hold the bat like him, and swing just like him, but watch how he attacks pitchers, watch his god-like balance and how flat his bat is in thezone.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 5, 2009 -> 10:26 AM)

I understand that. I think the Thome and KGJ have slower bats, so, their approach and strategy's have changed since they were in their primes. That's all I was saying.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 5, 2009 -> 10:30 AM)
I understand that. I think the Thome and KGJ have slower bats, so, their approach and strategy's have changed since they were in their primes. That's all I was saying.

I like Thome's approach still, but I agree with you. Thome was exceptionally good in his prime, better than he is today, about adjusting from pitcher to pitcher as well as taking the ball to all fields. His flexibility has hurt him as he has gotten older.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 5, 2009 -> 10:32 AM)
I like Thome's approach still, but I agree with you. Thome was exceptionally good in his prime, better than he is today, about adjusting from pitcher to pitcher as well as taking the ball to all fields. His flexibility has hurt him as he has gotten older.

KGJ still has one of the most beautiful swings. Unfortunately, the bat head doesn't get through the zone as quick as it once did. Might be all those leg injuries.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 5, 2009 -> 11:10 AM)
, yet love Josh Fields and also said Ryan Sweeney was garbage because he didn't hit enough home runs.

Are you really arguing that Ryan Sweeney is a better hitter then Josh Fields? You sure you wanna go that direction?