I think we should bring up Beckham immediately

dabears32

Alright we've had this discussion a million times, but right now it really is not a discussion. I feel like I'm watching a minor league team right now. Can anyone honestly tell me Brent Lillibridge is better than Beckham? Move Alexei to center and put Becks at short. I think he can have the same impact Longoria did for the Rays last year. SUCK IT UP OZZIE AND BRING UP BECKHAM!

QUOTE (whitesox32 @ May 5, 2009 -> 09:23 PM)
Alright we've had this discussion a million times, but right now it really is not a discussion. I feel like I'm watching a minor league team right now. Can anyone honestly tell me Brent Lillibridge is better than Beckham? Move Alexei to center and put Becks at short. I think he can have the same impact Longoria did for the Rays last year. SUCK IT UP OZZIE AND BRING UP BECKHAM!

Bringing Beckham up right now would solve absolutely none of the many issues this team has. And I'm gonna barf the next time somebody says we should move Alexi to CF.

i agree with you 100%. bring the kid up now. what is this crap we are witnessing? and the rest of you disagree? what does it hurt to bring him up and try it? you all do realize that derrick rose should be a sophomore in college...right? he is succeeding isnt he? what if beckham is the answer and we just refuse to see it? who is brent lillibridge?

QUOTE (whitesox32 @ May 5, 2009 -> 09:23 PM)

so you want to prematurely start his arbitration clock with a mediocre team. This is called fail. And no there is no reason to bring up Poreda either. This is the horses we are running the derby with. Let the kids mature a bit, work on some stuff, learn on what it is to be a pro. There is no one in the minors rescuing us at this point.

How is is that the D-Rays, and Orioles can suck for f***ing years and have Wieters and Longoria down in the minors for over a year, but the minute a division-winning team falters, we need to say f*** the arb clock, and call Beckham up? The kid needs to sink or swim for a while, no need to throw him in the deep end.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 5, 2009 -> 09:31 PM)
Bringing Beckham up right now would solve absolutely none of the many issues this team has. And I'm gonna barf the next time somebody says we should move Alexi to CF.

I think this would hopefully jumpstart an inconsistent offense and moving lexei to center could solve our center field issue as well and hopefully the change will effect his hitting in a positive way too. I mean if we jump ahead a years time this is still going to be the same issue unless something changes. Alexei is still going to be at short, getz or nix could still be at second. someone is going to have to move eventually to make room for beckham. Indians just brought up laporta and he doesn't have much experience either, I'm a firm believer in the best player should play regardless of age.

QUOTE (whitesox32 @ May 6, 2009 -> 02:40 AM)
I think this would hopefully jumpstart an inconsistent offense and moving lexei to center could solve our center field issue as well and hopefully the change will effect his hitting in a positive way too. I mean if we jump ahead a years time this is still going to be the same issue unless something changes. Alexei is still going to be at short, getz or nix could still be at second. someone is going to have to move eventually to make room for beckham. Indians just brought up laporta and he doesn't have much experience either, I'm a firm believer in the best player should play regardless of age.

I'm Slayer's biggest fan, but the time isn't right. He's not ready yet.

QUOTE (whitesox32 @ May 5, 2009 -> 09:40 PM)

Again, what are you basing this on? Alexi hasn't even shown to be capable of playing an above average SS. So moving him to the most demanding OF position is supposed to accomplish something? And Beckham isn't exactly tearing up AA right now (and his D appears to need quite a bit of work). Our offense is what it is. We see this every year. Our best bet is to hope the pitching can hold it down until the summer months get here and the balls start flying out of the park.

Edited by Jordan4life

once again...2 words: Derrick Rose. maybe we shoulda put him in some minors.. how the heckel you know somebody isnt a superstar in the makings? like MLB pitchers are so overpowering...what are you all afraid of? he is going to botch groundballs? we already do that... maybe NEVER be clutch or go in slumps? we already do that... SOMEBODY PLEASE BACK UP WHY HE ISNT READY YET. GIVE SOME CONCRETE REASONS!

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 5, 2009 -> 09:45 PM)
Again, what are you basing this on? Alexi hasn't even shown to be capable of playing an above average SS. So moving him to the most demanding OF position is supposed to accomplish something? And Beckham isn't exactly tearing up AA right now (and his D appears to need quite a bit of work). Our offense is what it is. We see this every year. Our best bet is to hope the pitching can hold it down until the summer months get here and the balls start flying out of the park.

I do agree that beckham does need work on defence cause I think he has like 7 errors or something already in the minors. my point about alexei moving to center was that if your going to move him eventually then you mine as well just do it now before he becomes entrenched in the postition. what pisses me off about the situation is that no one seems to be planning ahead, like I said before where is beckham going to go if and when he does come up? hopefully the pitching does straighten itself out b/c other than buehrle no one is looking too hot right now.

QUOTE (whitesoxmanager @ May 5, 2009 -> 09:49 PM)
once again...2 words: Derrick Rose. maybe we shoulda put him in some minors.. how the heckel you know somebody isnt a superstar in the makings? like MLB pitchers are so overpowering...what are you all afraid of? he is going to botch groundballs? we already do that... maybe NEVER be clutch or go in slumps? we already do that... SOMEBODY PLEASE BACK UP WHY HE ISNT READY YET. GIVE SOME CONCRETE REASONS!

Absolutely terrible comparison. I dare you to name 2 guys in the last 15 years to play less than 40 games in the minors that got called up and had an immediate impact.

Because this is a medicore team that is in transition. Adding Beckham is not the cherry on the sundae. So why exactly do I want to start his clock towards free agency early. Why so I can see a future team rebuild earlier. Take your lumps, deal with it and reload next year and the year after.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 5, 2009 -> 09:54 PM)
Absolutely terrible comparison. I dare you to name 2 guys in the last 15 years to play less than 40 games in the minors that got called up and had an immediate impact.

That's a great point, but I do think Beckham can hit a little bit in the Majors right now. The issue here is both, how is he going to play SS at the MLB level, and why would we bring him up just to tread water?

I believe that if it was a situation where it's midseason and we're 3-4 games ahead in the divisional race, then maybe we go to Beckham if we think he'll help us run away with it. But as much as I would love to see Beckham play all the time, right now really isn't the time. We've got a lot of issues other than the fact Alexei isn't hitting.

Also, before anyone jumps off the ledge consider this: we're relying on a lot of sub-par or very sub-par offensive baseball players at the moment, and the front of our pen is still in shambles. Our 4 and 5 starters are expected to be questionable at best as long as they last. Yet, we're still not on the verge of tanking it. Every other team in this division also has a myriad of issues, and even though I expect this stuff to go on all year, maybe we can come up with another reliever to help stabilize the pen as well as get a few guys healthy, and that in turn gives us enough of a lift to stay in the thick of contention all season long.

Basketball is a pretty cut and dry sport. There are nuances to the game that take getting used to, but if you are talented, you'll be able to make the transition with relative ease.

Baseball is a much more complicated game. The object is to hit a ball that is less than 3 inches across in any direction, while it changes speeds between, say, 67 and 97 MPH, depending on the pitcher and pitch, and breaks every which way - running in, running away, breaking down, breaking down and away, breaking just away - and all the while, those pitches are different speeds as well. On top of that, you should be able to have atleast some grasp of the strike zone, which is generally the belly button to the knees as well as a foot and a half so across too.

Oh, and there's defense too, which, coincidentally, both Rose and Beckham have struggled or currently are struggling with at the moment.

That, and Gordon Beckham isn't nearly as talented as Derrick Rose, relatively speaking.

QUOTE (whitesoxmanager @ May 5, 2009 -> 10:49 PM)

He was in the minors. In basketball, that's called college.

The Barons actually played here in Montgomery last night, and Beckham did NOT look ready. He looked awfull in his first two at bats, and Hellickson made him look silly in his first at bat. I think he needs some more time, i did bump into Viciedo on the field though, and he is HUGE.

Also had a chance to catch up with Tyler Flowers last night for about 10 minutes. I cant wait till he gets up sometime in the next couple years, hes such a great guy. Also said hes very excited about being a White Sox, and its his new favorite team lol