5/6 Games

flavum

Charlotte: Van Benschoten gave up four in the 1st inning.

4-3, top 3 Kroeger with a double. He's heating up.

Birmingham: John Ely on the hill.

Beckham RBI single in the first and a run

2-0, top 2

Winston-Salem: Hudson faces Matusz

7pm EDT

Kannapolis leading 6-1, 4th inning. Edwards pitching.

Tyler Kuhn 2-2, triple, sb

Edited by scenario

After watching him in spring training, reading a few articles and scouting reports on his background, and seeing his numbers... I am still convinced that Kroeger may really be a serious hitter. He started cold in Charlotte, but is quickly improving. If guys like Shelby and Danks aren't ready for next year, I think Kroeger may get a look to be part of the 2010 team (assuming he rakes in Charlotte, maybe gets a call-up during the year).

Viciedo seems to be exactly mirroring Alexei's struggles with the major league team.

Just when you think he might have turned the corner (he was back up to almost .240), he starts striking out and leaving runners on base in bunches and taking some wild swings.

Brandon Allen has been really quiet the last 7-10 days, too.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 6, 2009 -> 02:23 PM)
What's the story on Justin Edwards? He pitched for Kannapolis in 2007, but was in independent ball in 2008.

Today for Kanny: 5 innings, 1 walk, 9 K's

Independent ball, are you sure? I was certain he missed all of last year with injury but I may be wrong. I definitely think he's one to watch though, I had him as one of my sleepers coming into last year but obviously that didn't quite work out.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 6, 2009 -> 08:23 AM)
What's the story on Justin Edwards? He pitched for Kannapolis in 2007, but was in independent ball in 2008.

Today for Kanny: 5 innings, 1 walk, 9 K's

Justin missed all of last year with some kind of arm injury. It may have been Tommy John. He's now active with Kanny, taking Daniel Hudson's spot.

Former pitcher Neil Allen sighting...in Montgomery.

Interesting tidbit, Tyler Flowers smashed the all-time Mrytle Beach (not that the franchise has a LONG history) of 71 walks with 98 last year. Quite a different approach from AJ, who almost never walks and almost never strikes out.

Yay...Viciedo hammered a 3 run homer to LF. Come back from hiding, Cubano! Still only hitting .223. But he does have 17 RBI's so far, which is mostly because almost every time he's batted, Beckham/Flowers/Allen (at least one of them) have been on base.

5-2 Barons, no outs in the top of the sixth. Flowers and Allen had walked b4 Viciedo's bomb to LF.

Edited by caulfield12

By the way, I listened to both halves of the W-S double header last night. The second game finished at 1AM ET. Ed Collari, the announcer, was hysterical. Some examples...

"My favorite name in the Carolina League has to be Wally Crancer (of Frederick), it sounds like the crazy neighbor next door who puts things in kids candy at Halloween."

"It now officially hurts to think."

"This is the time to break out the scotch."

"I just looked down at Levi Maxwell, Anthony Carter & Charlie Shirek charting pitches in the stands, they were laughing and I gave them the gun to head sign."

"The post game show is gonna be non existent, folks. I'll go through the box score before I jump out this window and fall face first on the concrete."

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 6, 2009 -> 09:10 AM)
Former pitcher Neil Allen sighting...in Montgomery.

Interesting tidbit, Tyler Flowers smashed the all-time Mrytle Beach (not that the franchise has a LONG history) of 71 walks with 98 last year. Quite a different approach from AJ, who almost never walks and almost never strikes out.

Yay...Viciedo hammered a 3 run homer to LF. Come back from hiding, Cubano! Still only hitting .223. But he does have 17 RBI's so far, which is mostly because almost every time he's batted, Beckham/Flowers/Allen (at least one of them) have been on base.

5-2 Barons, no outs in the top of the sixth. Flowers and Allen had walked b4 Viciedo's bomb to LF.

Like I said, when Dayan starts pulling the ball, it's gonna be scary.

I have to say I'm disappointed in the White Sox for missing out on Desmond Jennings. He's from B'ham. I don't know if Tampa took him out of High School or College, but you shouldn't miss out on a guy who's right in the backyard of one of your farm teams.

^^^^^^^^^^^

My cousin went to high school (PV) with him. Brags about him being the best high school player he ever saw (though it's not really known to have that legit of a talent there) and a future big leaguer who he partied with. I do tell him he's gotta you know.. get through the minors first. Though I gotta admit, he'll be the best from that school alumni.

EDIT: Oh and I looked it up JPN. It was high school he was drafted.

Jon Gilmore is doing no better for Kanny so far than he did in the SAL last year in similar number of games. I'm still not convinced he's the real deal.

Charlotte losing 8-4 in the 8th, delayed right now by rain, JVB and Ehren both got shelled, again. I haven't seen him pitch this year, but, I'm starting to worry about Wassermann now - I thought 2008 was something he could get past, but he's still struggling, now at the AAA level.

B-Ham now up 12-4 in the 8th. Shelby and Beckham with 2 hits each, Cruz reaches base in all four at bats so far. Ely was good again. A win for B-Ham puts them in a tie for first in the division and league.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 6, 2009 -> 10:14 AM)
Jon Gilmore is doing no better for Kanny so far than he did in the SAL last year in similar number of games. I'm still not convinced he's the real deal.

Charlotte losing 8-4 in the 8th, delayed right now by rain, JVB and Ehren both got shelled, again. I haven't seen him pitch this year, but, I'm starting to worry about Wassermann now - I thought 2008 was something he could get past, but he's still struggling, now at the AAA level.

B-Ham now up 12-4 in the 8th. Shelby and Beckham with 2 hits each, Cruz reaches base in all four at bats so far. Ely was good again. A win for B-Ham puts them in a tie for first in the division and league.

Getting removed from the 40 man speaks volumes on what the White Sox are thinking about Wasserman I think.