5/6 Games

flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ May 6, 2009 -> 06:23 AM)
What's the story on Justin Edwards? He pitched for Kannapolis in 2007, but was in independent ball in 2008.

Today for Kanny: 5 innings, 1 walk, 9 K's

I can't remember but I thought he was hurt. He was a real good prep pitcher, IIRC. Doesn't have great stuff but was always thought of a guy that knew how to pitch and as such garnered comparisons to Buehrle when he was drafted. It was a while ago though, so I might be mistaking him for another lefty, but I'm pretty certain he was one of the top high school pitchers in his state.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 6, 2009 -> 10:32 AM)
Getting removed from the 40 man speaks volumes on what the White Sox are thinking about Wasserman I think.

Yeah, I know. I just saw something in 2007 that went beyond his funky delivery - he was just really, really good at inducing ground balls. None of his pitches were spectacular, but they all had good downward movement, and he was pretty good and staying in the strike zone. Good combination for pitching at the Cell. And he was the anti-MacDougal - very little "stuff", but all guts and effort, and he thrived under pressure.

Then in 2008 ST he deserved a spot, but got passed up. And his first call-up was a disaster. I figured it was a confidence thing, especially since in Charlotte in 2008 he flat out dominated.

Honestly, I think they may have messed with his motion too much too. During the 07-08 offseason they changed his motion a bit, where he pitches from, and had him work on a change-up. I really wonder if it made him overthink everything. In his bad outings in 2008, he was hanging a lot of pitches, like he didn't have his breakers reliable anymore - was it the overanalysis, or did he just lose his stuff?

I hope he figures it out and calms down. His future in Chicago is probably gone, unless the bullpen loses 2 or 3 guys to injury this year. But maybe he can get a job on another club with a weaker pen, and rebuild that confidence.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 6, 2009 -> 10:14 AM)
Jon Gilmore is doing no better for Kanny so far than he did in the SAL last year in similar number of games. I'm still not convinced he's the real deal.

Keep in mind that at 19, he's one of the youngest players in the league.

And at 18 years old, he was ripping up the Appalachian League before getting promoted late last season. (23 doubles in 235 at-bats... for an 18 year old? Gotta like that.)

He had a very rough start to this season (0 for 20 or something like that), but has been coming around pretty well since. For example, he's had one or more hits in 8 of his last 10 games.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 6, 2009 -> 10:17 AM)
CJ Retherford still doing very well. Amazing for an undrafted FA at age 23 in a tough hitter's park. His K/BB numbers leave a bit to be desired, but close to half his hits are XBH.

Anyone know what CJ's defense is like at third?

He's been playing second this year, he's an average fielder.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 6, 2009 -> 09:52 AM)
^^^^^^^^^^^

My cousin went to high school (PV) with him. Brags about him being the best high school player he ever saw (though it's not really known to have that legit of a talent there) and a future big leaguer who he partied with. I do tell him he's gotta you know.. get through the minors first. Though I gotta admit, he'll be the best from that school alumni.

EDIT: Oh and I looked it up JPN. It was high school he was drafted.

Pinson Valley?

QUOTE (scenario @ May 6, 2009 -> 11:07 AM)

And at 18 years old, he was ripping up the Appalachian League before getting promoted late last season. (23 doubles in 235 at-bats... for an 18 year old? Gotta like that.)

He had a very rough start to this season (0 for 20 or something like that), but has been coming around pretty well since. For example, he's had one or more hits in 8 of his last 10 games.

Gilmore will be 21 in August.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 6, 2009 -> 09:09 AM)
Justin missed all of last year with some kind of arm injury. It may have been Tommy John. He's now active with Kanny, taking Daniel Hudson's spot.

It was Tommy John. I looked it up. It's in the press release for today's game.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 6, 2009 -> 11:40 AM)
Gilmore will be 21 in August.

Oops. Yeah, I can add. And I'm a numbers guy who works in the financial services industry too. LOL.

Still, 20 is very young for the Sally. For example, he is the second youngest player on the Kanny roster as well as being one of the youngest players in the league.

So... the same logic of my comments applies. But my numbers were off by one year.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ May 6, 2009 -> 11:57 AM)
Oops. Yeah, I can add. And I'm a numbers guy who works in the financial services industry too. LOL.

Still, 20 is very young for the Sally. For example, he is the second youngest player on the Kanny roster as well as being one of the youngest players in the league.

So... the same logic of my comments applies. But my numbers were off by one year.

You're slipping... ;)

Regarding Retherford today...

2-3, both doubles... raising his average to .319 on the year

Plus a sacrifice bunt + a sac fly.

Currently 5th in the Southern League in slugging percentage; 5th in doubles; and 11th in batting average.

Attaboy CJ... show 'em how it's done.

Not shabby for an unheralded and undrafted player, eh?

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 6, 2009 -> 03:45 PM)
Bummer, Hudson's debut for W-S was rained out. We'll have to wait until tomorrow.

I'm getting tired of all this rain s**t. How many baseball games have been rained out the last week? Domes for everyone! I better get all five games next week, I'm fed up with rain delays and postponements.

I really think a requirement for all new stadiums to be built that there has to be a retractable roof. I love Milwaukee's stadium and how they have a clear roof so even when the roof is closed on an afternoon game, it still feels like an afternoon game.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 6, 2009 -> 09:35 AM)
I have to say I'm disappointed in the White Sox for missing out on Desmond Jennings. He's from B'ham. I don't know if Tampa took him out of High School or College, but you shouldn't miss out on a guy who's right in the backyard of one of your farm teams.

He was drafted in the 10th round from a CC (don't remember which one). It's downright frightening for a team coming off a WS appearance to have so much sick talent (Price, Jennings, Beckham, Brignac, Davis, Perez, McGee) still in the minors. Yeah, I realize they've had a million top-10 picks since their inception. But you still have to make the right pick. And it's not a given just because it's a high pick, especially in baseball. And they've already proven with Jennings, who might be the best position prospect in baseball not named Matt Wieters, that they can find premium talent in the later rounds.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 6, 2009 -> 09:10 PM)
And they've already proven with Jennings, who might be the best position prospect in baseball not named Matt Wieters, that they can find premium talent in the later rounds.

Whoa, let's not go way overboard here. He's a solid prospect, but it's 27 games in AA.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 6, 2009 -> 11:22 PM)
Whoa, let's not go way overboard here. He's a solid prospect, but it's 27 games in AA.

Another guy if you want to just look so far through this season is Justin Smoak, the guy I was hoping we would draft instead of Beckham. The guy is definitely tearing the cover off the ball, that being said, I still am happy with our pick.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ May 6, 2009 -> 07:27 PM)
Tyler Kuhn has finally started swinging the bat well again, hitting 371 over the last 10 games. He was one of the real surprise players out of out 08 draft class but got off to a horrible start in Kanny.

What's weird though, is he has been DH'ing a lot. Not often you see someone go SS to DH.

QUOTE (scenario @ May 6, 2009 -> 11:07 AM)

Gilmore sounds like what Brandon Allen did a couple of years ago... Any comparisions between the two?

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 6, 2009 -> 11:22 PM)

I know that's a bold statement. But I think Jennings is that good. I think he compares favorably to Adam Jones.

Edited by Jordan4life