Manny Suspended 50 Games

Steve9347

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (G&T @ May 7, 2009 -> 10:03 AM)
Gammons defended Manny (based on the video on ESPN's website), and claims that the Red Sox do not believe he was doing it while on that team.

Gammons thoroughly believes this is not HGH related or steroids.

Suspiciously, the doctor he got it from was in Miami.

Shocking. Even after all the information comes out and it's f***ing obvious exactly what Manny was doing he'll still defend it, make excuses and claim the 2 championships the Sawx won were untainted.

The next question: does David Ortiz come under investigation? Youkilis? Pedroia?

I mean, it is pretty suspicious an organization as adept at judging talent with Terry Ryan letting Ortiz go quite easily, then he morphs into a Hall of Fame type player like that magically by playing in Fenway.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 7, 2009 -> 10:28 AM)
The next question: does David Ortiz come under investigation? Youkilis? Pedroia?

I mean, it is pretty suspicious an organization as adept at judging talent with Terry Ryan letting Ortiz go quite easily, then he morphs into a Hall of Fame type player like that magically by playing in Fenway.

David Ortiz has yet to hit a HR this season and his ISO is .160 points below his career average.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 7, 2009 -> 08:28 AM)

There's not going to be any special Red Sox investigation unless something happens like the McNamee case, where the trainer is found and starts naming people or something crazy like that.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 7, 2009 -> 10:26 AM)
Shocking. Even after all the information comes out and it's f***ing obvious exactly what Manny was doing he'll still defend it, make excuses and claim the 2 championships the Sawx won were untainted.

Its one thing for Gammons to be biased in Boston, but on espn he should treat it like Manny was the guy who beat the Red Sox in the WS. I'm sure his opinion would be different. Its seems pretty far fetched a guy would START using PEDs after the league starts testing for them. If anything, Manny's statement via Boras that he has passed 15 tests only shows testing isn't where it should be yet.

David Ortiz, age 21-26 with the Twins

58 homers in 1477 at-bats=1/25.5 AB's

age 27-33 with Red Sox

231 homers in 3259 at-bats=1/14 AB's

Pretty dramatic change...

I'm not 100% sold on Chipper Jones for the Hall of Fame quite yet, Vlad yes, Pujols until something like this comes out...but it would be a shame, especially the way he's been elevated to God-like status as the MLB icon, child with a disability, non-profit organizations and community/charity work, his Tebow-like Christian faith, etc.

It's one thing if A-Rod has gone down, but quite another if Pujols does, too. That might really damage baseball with this generation of fans...yes, baseball is resilient and got past the Black Sox, the world wars, gambling/Pete Rose, strikes, cocaine scandal in 80's, 1994, and it has always bounced back and always will (feel like the speech from Field of Dreams should be inserted here), but this really sucks.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 7, 2009 -> 10:29 AM)
we all think he's just cycling. How do you know he's just not trying to be like that dude from the bay?

BarryBonds.jpg

I always wondered why he, Sosa and Giambi (Brady Anderson too, hell almost all of them) made such a show out of their physiques. I suppose it's arrogance. Sosa wearing those sleeveless shirts during BP, showing off the tree trunks growing out of his torso always made me sick.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 7, 2009 -> 10:35 AM)

age 27-33 with Red Sox

Well, to be fair, Fenway is a joke of a stadium. A flyball there is a homerun. But, I do think it's weird that there has never been speculation about Red Sox players as much as others. Before the Mitchell Report, nobody ever questioned whether or not Ortiz and Ramirez had ever juiced. But, I always saw unfounded speculation about people like Ryan Howard and A-Rod (before this year) as well as others. I know the Red Sox are the media darlings, but it's irresponsible to turn a blind eye to them and hang the rest. This is just like the Patriots thing, they're proven cheaters, but everybody in the media defends them. I had respect for Gammons up until I read that. Of course, ESPN has basically turned into NESN over the last 5 years.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 7, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)

age 27-33 with Red Sox

I'm not 100% sold on Chipper Jones for the Hall of Fame quite yet, Vlad yes, Pujols until something like this comes out...but it would be a shame, especially the way he's been elevated to God-like status as the MLB icon, child with a disability, non-profit organizations and community/charity work, his Tebow-like Christian faith, etc.

It's one thing if A-Rod has gone down, but quite another Pujols does, too. That might really damage baseball with this generation of fans...

Ortiz also went from playing for the Twins, who wanted him to hit the other way, to the Red Sox, who wanted the homers. I'm not saying he didn't use, I'm saying the numbers may not tell the whole story.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 7, 2009 -> 10:41 AM)
Well, to be fair, Fenway is a joke of a stadium. A flyball there is a homerun. But, I do think it's weird that there has never been speculation about Red Sox players as much as others. Before the Mitchell Report, nobody ever questioned whether or not Ortiz and Ramirez had ever juiced. But, I always saw unfounded speculation about people like Ryan Howard and A-Rod (before this year) as well as others. I know the Red Sox are the media darlings, but it's irresponsible to turn a blind eye to them and hang the rest. This is just like the Patriots thing, they're proven cheaters, but everybody in the media defends them. I had respect for Gammons up until I read that. Of course, ESPN has basically turned into NESN over the last 5 years.

Not to RF.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 7, 2009 -> 08:31 AM)
David Ortiz has yet to hit a HR this season and his ISO is .160 points below his career average.

Sean Casey was on "The BS Report" (Bill Simmons' podcast) a few days ago, and Simmons asked him about Ortiz having no HRs at this point. Casey kind of skirts the issue, and at the end says that it's wierd that he doesn't have any HRs yet. It sounds almost as if he's thinking the same thing many of us are. It happens in the last 5-10 minutes of the podcast.

The clock on this site is making me feel like I'm on "Lost." Did I actually make this post four hours ago?

Edited by Middle Buffalo

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ May 7, 2009 -> 10:42 AM)
Sean Casey was on "The BS Report" (Bill Simmons' podcast) a few days ago, and Simmons asked him about Ortiz having no HRs at this point. Casey kind of skirts the issue, and at the end says that it's wierd that he doesn't have any HRs yet. It sounds almost as if he's thinking the same thing many of us are. It happens in the last 5-10 minutes of the podcast.

The clock on this site is making me feel like I'm on "Lost." Did I actually make this post four hours ago?

I like Bill Simmons, but yet again, he's a Boston apologist writing for a national sports website.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 7, 2009 -> 10:48 AM)
Forgot about Gary Sheffield...there's another name that will draw a lot of scrutiny, and he's sort of the Jim Rice/Eddie Murray of this generation of baseball players anyway.

He was never getting in. He's was also implicated in Balco.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 7, 2009 -> 08:48 AM)
Forgot about Gary Sheffield...there's another name that will draw a lot of scrutiny, and he's sort of the Jim Rice/Eddie Murray of this generation of baseball players anyway.

Sheffield has been directly implicated in the BALCO case and admitted he took "Flaxseed oil" supplied by Bonds, IIRC, aka the clear.