Manny Suspended 50 Games

Steve9347

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 7, 2009 -> 10:28 AM)
The next question: does David Ortiz come under investigation? Youkilis? Pedroia?

I mean, it is pretty suspicious an organization as adept at judging talent with Terry Ryan letting Ortiz go quite easily, then he morphs into a Hall of Fame type player like that magically by playing in Fenway.

Oritz was hurt a lot when he was with the Twins. Also, The Twins wanted him to hit to all fields just like all their other players instead of pulling the ball all the time. And I remember reading a Sports Illustrated article a few years back where Ortiz said he had a giant hole in his swing and the hitting instructor for the BoSox corrected that. It also helps he plays in Fenway.

All that said, he could be juicing. You just dont know these days.

ESPN has a special and a doctor from NYU is on. The question could he go 15 tests without being positive. He didn't have sure answer but said that HGC can mask some effects of steroids depending on the test used. MLB has no anti-doping oversight so he couldn't say for sure. Nothing we didn't already know.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 7, 2009 -> 10:53 AM)
But it goes out very quickly. There are very few home runs right down the line.

It's still a dump and a joke in my opinion. It should have a big Waste Management sign on the green monster because it looks like a big dumpster.

QUOTE (G&T @ May 7, 2009 -> 08:55 AM)
ESPN has a special and a doctor from NYU is on. The question could he go 15 tests without being positive. He didn't have sure answer but said that HGC can mask some effects of steroids depending on the test used. MLB has no anti-doping oversight so he couldn't say for sure. Nothing we didn't already know.

Just because he didn't have a masking agent in his system this time doesn't mean he didn't have one there the other 14 times.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 7, 2009 -> 11:57 AM)
Just because he didn't have a masking agent in his system this time doesn't mean he didn't have one there the other 14 times.

No I think he did have the mask. Depending on the test, it sounds like it might not catch the roids or the mask, but other tests might catch the mask and not the roids, etc. So I'm curious as to whether their tests have changed.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 7, 2009 -> 11:00 AM)
The talk of exactly what it was he was on likely played directly in to that.

yeah, probably additional info changed his opinion. Unfortunately it wasn't someone in ESPN who actually has integrity who asked him to change it. That network is such a joke for baseball. Thank god for MLB Network and Deadspin for fun.

Edit: I shouldn't say someone with integrity would ask him to change it, more along the lines of someone pointing out the possible conflict, more of an internal editorial comment and Gammons took the advice, but again, it's ESPN so I doubt that happened

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (G&T @ May 7, 2009 -> 10:58 AM)
Gammons has back tracked on his comments from earlier. He won't take a position on it now.

I think someone should yank his chain and say the Red Sox should have to forfeit their WS wins, although I'm quite sure Mr. Gammons wouldn't survive.

An LA sportswriter had a great comment. Manny is going to be pouty and mad when he comes back because he won't get his big pay day next year. He won't be happy Manny anymore and probably won't help them much.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 7, 2009 -> 10:55 AM)
Will Omar Vizquel get in? Some announcer the other day thought he'd get in for sure.

He's a tricky case. The only middle infielder with more GG than Omar is Ozzie Smith and they're incredibly similar hitters only Omar never got the same pub for his game that Ozzie did. Only 5 position players have more gold gloves: IRod, Brooks, Smith, Mays and Clemente. That's some prestigious company. Only 15 players have more than 10 GG and the only guys not in or not getting in would be Keith Hernandez, perhaps IRod and we'll see what happens with Andruw Jones. So Omar would be the only non-drug user/probable user with 10+ gold gloves to not get into the HoF.

QUOTE (G&T @ May 7, 2009 -> 09:08 AM)
An LA sportswriter had a great comment. Manny is going to be pouty and mad when he comes back because he won't get his big pay day next year. He won't be happy Manny anymore and probably won't help them much.

I think we really need to stop putting so much thought in to Manny's moods.

Manny's mood supposedly helped him have that dominant stretch late last year, but it also looks damn likely that he was on a steroid regimen. I don't believe any more his mood had anything to do with it other than whatever the hormones he was taking did to his mood.

Manny might not help them much when he gets back...because he might be being extra careful to avoid the next steroid suspension that would cost him 100 games and $15 million, and thus might not be the player he was while juiced.

QUOTE (G&T @ May 7, 2009 -> 11:08 AM)

Or he'll be off the juice and unable to play at the level he is accustomed. Anyway, Manny made his bed and gets to sleep in it. Buster Olney has a nice article up at espn.com basically calling for zero tolerance. Positive drug test-you're gone.............forever.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 7, 2009 -> 12:10 PM)
I think we really need to stop putting so much thought in to Manny's moods.

Manny's mood supposedly helped him have that dominant stretch late last year, but it also looks damn likely that he was on a steroid regimen. I don't believe any more his mood had anything to do with it other than whatever the hormones he was taking did to his mood.

Manny might not help them much when he gets back...because he might be being extra careful to avoid the next steroid suspension that would cost him 100 games and $15 million, and thus might not be the player he was while juiced.

That's true. He also mentioned, though, that he was great in the club house and the players loved him. There's no way to know what effect this has on the team.

I'll be very interested to see what happens to the players from this generation in ten years or so. Will they go the way of Lyle Alzado? Are there truly long-term effects from steroid use that will come to pass, or will it prove to be a false scare tactic? Would be sad and sobering to see a bunch of big-name players from the last two decades start dropping like flies in their 40s and 50s.

QUOTE (G&T @ May 7, 2009 -> 11:08 AM)

Or . . . if he does come back and pouts he'll lose the only fans/defenders he has left, they're not going to stick by him if he becomes a pud after returning from a suspension that was 100% his doing. I guess it depends on how Manny wants to be viewed, if he comes back upbeat but remorseful and tears the cover off the ball over the final 3 months of the season people are gonna jump on his bandwagon.

Or . . . he'll just be bad because he's off the roids.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 7, 2009 -> 05:13 PM)
I'll be very interested to see what happens to the players from this generation in ten years or so. Will they go the way of Lyle Alzado? Are there truly long-term effects from steroid use that will come to pass, or will it prove to be a false scare tactic? Would be sad and sobering to see a bunch of big-name players from the last two decades start dropping like flies in their 40s and 50s.

Agreed, it will be interesting to see if they start dropping dead like wrestlers have.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 7, 2009 -> 12:20 PM)
Well I was going to guess that it was an erectile dysfunction drug because most likely it contains some sort of steroid to "get it up."

We will see what baseball says if he has a valid prescription.

If he had a prescription, he would have said so. And he wouldn't have gone to a doctor in Miami who wasn't affiliated with the Dodgers.