Manny Suspended 50 Games

Steve9347

QUOTE (fathom @ May 7, 2009 -> 01:42 PM)
Seems like it's BS, as there was a picture of him taken the week after that came out in which he looked perfectly healthy.

I also believe the suit was recently dropped or at least settled. Alomar publicly claimed it was a bunch of crap.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 7, 2009 -> 01:44 PM)
The player who really didn't look well the last couple of years of his career was another former Padre, Benito Santiago.

I guess there are some questions surrounding how quickly and completely Alomar went from one of the best players (and fielders) in baseball history to "just hanging on." Ryne Sandberg also faded quickly in his 30's.

Santiago was a freaking stud. The guy was in his early 40's and could still throw a laser from home to 2nd from his knees. What the hell are you talking about? He could never hit that well but man did he have some skills during his career.

A friend of mine is a really good amateur cyclist (always finishes near the top time for the cycling portions of any triathalon). He's always said that the reason he never considered professional cycling was because he didn't want to have to use the PEDs that are necessary to have a chance at competing at the highest level. With each new baseball "outing," I'm more and more convinced that the same is true in baseball, and probably in just about any other sport as well (that's not to say that no one is completely clean, but they are the rare exceptions).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 7, 2009 -> 04:21 PM)
Santiago was a freaking stud. The guy was in his early 40's and could still throw a laser from home to 2nd from his knees. What the hell are you talking about? He could never hit that well but man did he have some skills during his career.

I meant he didn't look physically well...not commenting on how he played.

We were talking about Alomar and AIDS/HIV.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 7, 2009 -> 02:29 PM)
I meant he didn't look physically well...not commenting on how he played.

We were talking about Alomar and AIDS/HIV.

Ya and I think its pretty f***ing assine to make a comment about him having a life threatening disease based upon his appearance. The guy looked no different at 40 (except older) than he did at 20. He was one ugly SOB though.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 7, 2009 -> 03:56 PM)
Wasn't that Dave Martinez (former White Sox RF not implicated yet in the scandal) who snagged Sandberg's wife?

Ummmmm, not even close. Mr Wrigleyville, Mark Grace

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 7, 2009 -> 09:49 PM)
Ummmmm, not even close. Mr Wrigleyville, Mark Grace

I definitely heard it was Dave Martinez that nailed Cindy Sandberg. Also, have heard some fun talk that Palmeiro was having an affair with her, and that's why he was dealt.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 7, 2009 -> 04:42 PM)
Ya and I think its pretty f***ing assine to make a comment about him having a life threatening disease based upon his appearance. The guy looked no different at 40 (except older) than he did at 20. He was one ugly SOB though.

I just said he didn't look physically well...didn't mean to intimate something more insidious.

Stanozolol

Winstrol, Winthrop, Stromba

Medical Use: Prescribed for hereditary angioedema, which causes episodes of swelling of the face, extremities, genitals, bowel wall, and throat.

Performance-Enhancing Use: It builds strength and muscle mass with minimal bulk development. Preferred by pitchers who typically want stregth but not bulk.

Side-Effects: Less damaging to ligaments than most anabolic steroids. Liver damage, acne, sterility, baldness, enlarged prostate, gynocomastia (development of breast tissue in males), virilization (development of male characteristics in women)

Admitted or Implicated Players: Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Jose Canseco, Rafael Palmeiro, Benito Santiago, Paxton Crawford, Ivan Rodriguez*, Juan Gonzalez*

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 7, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
I just said he didn't look physically well...didn't mean to intimate something more insidious.

Stanozolol

Winstrol, Winthrop, Stromba

Medical Use: Prescribed for hereditary angioedema, which causes episodes of swelling of the face, extremities, genitals, bowel wall, and throat.

Performance-Enhancing Use: It builds strength and muscle mass with minimal bulk development. Preferred by pitchers who typically want stregth but not bulk.

Side-Effects: Less damaging to ligaments than most anabolic steroids. Liver damage, acne, sterility, baldness, enlarged prostate, gynocomastia (development of breast tissue in males), virilization (development of male characteristics in women)

Admitted or Implicated Players: Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Jose Canseco, Rafael Palmeiro, Benito Santiago, Paxton Crawford, Ivan Rodriguez*, Juan Gonzalez*

What does roiding and aids have to do with one another. You were saying Benito had aids, not that he was a roider.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 8, 2009 -> 08:22 AM)
I definitely heard it was Dave Martinez that nailed Cindy Sandberg. Also, have heard some fun talk that Palmeiro was having an affair with her, and that's why he was dealt.

The rumor mill has it that not only did Ryno’s ex-wife Cindy consort with Raffy, Dave Martinez was involved as well (though not all 3 at once), which may have led to both of them being dealt by Cubs management.

From whitesoxinteractive’s PaleHoseGeorge:

Along with the rumors about Cindy sleeping around with Palmiero and Martinez, the rumor continues that it was Ryno who appealed to Cubs brass to engineer the one-sided trades that garnered the Flubbies a whole lot of nothing for useful (even HOF-bound) ballplayers — just to save his marriage that ended anyway.

The one-sided nature of the trades have become either the smoking gun for the rumor’s validity or further proof of the utter incompetence of Cubs management.

RAFAEL PALMIERO

December 5, 1988: Traded by the Chicago Cubs with Drew Hall and Jamie Moyer to the Texas Rangers for Mitch Williams, Paul Kilgus, Steve Wilson, Curtis Wilkerson, Luis Benitez (minors), and Pablo Delgado (minors).

DAVE MARTINEZ

July 14, 1988: Traded by the Chicago Cubs to the Montreal Expos for Mitch Webster.

Hitting HR's doesnt mean you did PED's. I dont understand why people associate that with a possible juicer. PED's will allow the body to heal or repair its fibers more easily and quickly. SOME use this for gains in brute strength, SOME can use it just for recovery. Longevity at a very flat performance level says juicer to me just as much as one peak season. Guys playing into their 40's arent really that rare and i know lots of folks that are very athletic to that age, but the sheer numbers of guys that have the same performance from age 26-46 is a red flag to me.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 7, 2009 -> 10:58 PM)
Hitting HR's doesnt mean you did PED's. I dont understand why people associate that with a possible juicer. PED's will allow the body to heal or repair its fibers more easily and quickly. SOME use this for gains in brute strength, SOME can use it just for recovery. Longevity at a very flat performance level says juicer to me just as much as one peak season. Guys playing into their 40's arent really that rare and i know lots of folks that are very athletic to that age, but the sheer numbers of guys that have the same performance from age 26-46 is a red flag to me.

You have the two teammates from Arizona's WS run in 2001 that are interesting cases in Luis Gonzalez and Steve Finley. I agree though, I think there's a lot of high-caliber base stealers from the last few decades that are very suspicious.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 7, 2009 -> 05:01 PM)
You have the two teammates from Arizona's WS run in 2001 that are interesting cases in Luis Gonzalez and Steve Finley. I agree though, I think there's a lot of high-caliber base stealers from the last few decades that are very suspicious.

Anyone who is getting upwards of 30 on this board will surely agree with me that is isnt really the competition that is harder as you age, but the recovery time. PED's for alot of those guys eliminated those aches and pains from day to day which allows you those extra hits to go from .250 to .300 on the season. The extra strength built up, flexibility and recovery is what has allowed some players who SHOULD have naturally fallen off in their mid 30's extend their careers at the same level until 40.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 7, 2009 -> 03:03 PM)
Anyone who is getting upwards of 30 on this board will surely agree with me that is isnt really the competition that is harder as you age, but the recovery time. PED's for alot of those guys eliminated those aches and pains from day to day which allows you those extra hits to go from .250 to .300 on the season. The extra strength built up, flexibility and recovery is what has allowed some players who SHOULD have naturally fallen off in their mid 30's extend their careers at the same level until 40.

f***, I'm 26 and have been playing basketball three times a week for the past few years and I freaking hurt a hell of a lot more now the next day or two after playing than I did three years ago. I can't imagine the way it is when your in your mid to late 30's.

And before someone asks, no, Its not because I'm in worse shape now than I was three years ago. I'm 6ft, 155 lb's and would not be considered by anyone to be overweight or out of shape. I wouldn't be called a freak of nature athlete either, but I have a lean, relatively athletic build, although I do not have a muscular upper body (lower body is strong as rocks, despite my jacked up knee).

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ May 7, 2009 -> 03:13 PM)
I was shocked to hear this. Manny what are you doing? Your rookie cards that I own are going to take a hit. In all seriousness, this is another blow to baseball, the question is, what big name is next?

One can only hope they're running out of big names who'll test positive.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 7, 2009 -> 11:15 PM)
One can only hope they're running out of big names who'll test positive.

Who's a bigger name than Manny? I'm thinking only Pujols, Jeter, Griffey Jr., Ichiro and Feldman.

Edited by fathom

Benito Santiago: Driving on the Wrong Path

Benito Santiago is lighting up the presses today with his connection to a cocaine conspiracy in Kansas City, Mo. Click here for the details. Basically, a car he owned was seized as part of this investigation, and it's not known to what extent Santiago was involved.

True, he's innocent till proven guilty, but it just makes you wonder what happens to guys like him in professional sports who just can't control themselves after they're done playing... or even when they are playing. DWIs, domestic violence, drug charges, gambling. The list goes on. Seems like something should be done by the teams or the leagues to help these guys transition into a new phase in their lives rather than go off into troubled waters.

I said (to Fathom) that he "didn't look well." Somehow that got transmitted into "didn't play well." We were talking about the topic of players who didn't perform well or who peaked in their mid 30's.

Then, because I mentioned a previous message (about Alomar, which is a different situation and lawsuit, but another player who just disappeared in his mid 30's), it got twisted into something else.

I have no idea what was wrong with Santiago, apparently besides using steroids and possibly drugs, he just didn't look very well physically, but that was just my impression.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (daa84 @ May 7, 2009 -> 07:20 AM)
why are people surprised at this?

Exactly.

I'll go right out and say Pujols is using something too, no doubt, honestly half the league is but at this point doesn't matter anymore since MLB can't stop it. No way somebody can be that big. Manny wasn't all that big but he hit HRs easily without effort.

Good riddance, Manny is such a joke, same with A Roid, Rodriguez got off easy which is bs, wheres his suspension?