Manny Suspended 50 Games

Steve9347

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 7, 2009 -> 04:58 PM)
Hitting HR's doesnt mean you did PED's. I dont understand why people associate that with a possible juicer. PED's will allow the body to heal or repair its fibers more easily and quickly. SOME use this for gains in brute strength, SOME can use it just for recovery. Longevity at a very flat performance level says juicer to me just as much as one peak season. Guys playing into their 40's arent really that rare and i know lots of folks that are very athletic to that age, but the sheer numbers of guys that have the same performance from age 26-46 is a red flag to me.

Hence my pitchers comment earlier in the thread. A LOT of pitchers have used PEDs and all except a couple just skate by. Eric Gagne is a guy whose save records should have the same asterisks any of Bonds' records do.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What really amazes me is not that these guys keep doing this and keep getting caught (as f***ing retarded as it is), but that as often as these players get caught... none of them ever seem to have a remotely feasible alibi.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 7, 2009 -> 10:33 AM)
Its one thing for Gammons to be biased in Boston, but on espn he should treat it like Manny was the guy who beat the Red Sox in the WS. I'm sure his opinion would be different. Its seems pretty far fetched a guy would START using PEDs after the league starts testing for them. If anything, Manny's statement via Boras that he has passed 15 tests only shows testing isn't where it should be yet.

One thing to remember is that someone is always going to invent a new designer steroid that will be undetectable. This was the case with BALCO. You can't test for something for which you do not know the chemical breakdown. This is why the masking agents and such are also banned. Manny got caught trying to reduce the after effects of some sort of previously unknown PED. This could very well mean someone has concocted a new PED. The only reason the BALCO scandal occurred was that a track coach turned in a sample of the PED to the USOC and the labs then knew what to look for.

I like what the program for which the USOC is doing a pilot study. You take a base blood sample. You analyze the subsequent blood sample and look for any abnormalities and base the penalty on changes from the norm.

There will always be the desire to cheat in athletics and someone will convine a chemist/pharmacist to create the new PEd (or the other way around).

It has been said often that the differences in baseball is razor thin. The AAAA guys versus MLB. It seems like that keeps coming into play. Maybe without the PEDs, Manny is an average player. Maybe he's an All-Star. Anyway you look at it, the pressure must be immense for guys to take these chances.

More info about the Manny situation. Looks like he had 2 drugs in his system:

Within the records was a prescription written for the drug human chorionic gonadotrophin (hCG) -- No. 55 on the list of banned performance-enhancing substances in the policy. The drug is mainly used for female fertility issues, but it is best known among male steroid users as a substance that can help kick-start the body's production of natural testosterone, which is stymied when using synthetic testosterone (aka steroids).

The synthetic testosterone in Ramirez's body could not have come from the hCG, according to doping experts, and so suddenly Ramirez had two drugs to answer for. Worse still for the ballplayer, MLB now had a document showing he had been prescribed a banned substance. This was iron-clad evidence that could secure a 50-game suspension.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4159870

QUOTE (RME JICO @ May 11, 2009 -> 06:43 PM)
More info about the Manny situation. Looks like he had 2 drugs in his system:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4159870

Actually he probably had a lot of drugs in his system...but that's a very interesting chronology of the tests. It dismantles the argument that people could have made that he never tested positive...it depends on how you define a positive test. He clearly was supplementing something if his testosterone/epitestosterone ratios were screwed up, which they were...which is a positive test. It wasn't so badly screwed up that he was immediately suspended, which is obviously a weakness of the testing program (Floyd Landis lost his TDF title for less than what Manny got caught with) but there really is no defense for him. He was on a major doping program.