Manny Suspended 50 Games

Steve9347

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 7, 2009 -> 07:43 AM)
Not disagreeing given the talent in their lineup and the fact that they have an extra OF anyway, but this is going to put a lot more pressure on a weak starting rotation. They'll probably have to do something to shore up the back end of it.

yeah, it will make it interesting, especially since I think they were gonna walk with the division, and that's not going to happen now.

Who do you think is their main rivals? I go with the D'Backs. They're going to be tough, especially if Webb comes back in a reasonable amount of time. Although, the D'Backs offense still leaves a little to be desired.

Canseco to be on ESPN 1000. Manny's official statment is a banned medication from a doctor. He says he took and passed 15 drug tests and he takes full responsability for this.

Edited that because it looked weird since I typed it as stuff was going on

Edited by SoxFan562004

As strange as this may sound, I actually might buy into the doctor excuse. The reason is because Manny has no reason to cheat at this point. He has a $45M contract, he is almost done, he is a sure fire HoF'er, he has a ring, he is already regarded as one of the best right handed hitters of the generation...so whats the point? I can't believe Manny actually cares enough about his performance and how he's perceived to try and get an edge. Especially since up until now he has been "clean". I just feel if he was juicing, he would have been caught before, or at the very least would have stopped. Why wasnt he caught 2 years ago? Or last year? Why all of a sudden just right now? It just doesnt make sense to me, which is why I will wait to hear his official excuse in detail.

Manny

"Recently I saw a physician for a personal health issue. He gave me a medication, not a steroid, which he thought was OK to give me," Ramirez said. "Unfortunately, the medication was banned under our drug policy. Under the policy that mistake is now my responsibility. I have been advised not to say anything more for now.

"I do want to say one other thing; I've taken and passed about 15 drug tests over the past five seasons. I want to apologize to [Dodgers owner Frank] McCourt, Mrs. McCourt, [manager Joe] Torre, my teammates, the Dodger organization, and to the Dodger fans. LA is a special place to me and I know everybody is disappointed. So am I. I'm sorry about this whole situation."

I think we are all jumping the gun a bit here...there are definitely varying degrees of PED abuse, in my mind. There is quite a difference between a guy just flat-out roiding and a guy using some silly banned supplement that is questionable in the effects it even has.

I'm not going to throw out the player Manny has been for the last 15 years because of this quite yet.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 7, 2009 -> 07:46 AM)
As strange as this may sound, I actually might buy into the doctor excuse. The reason is because Manny has no reason to cheat at this point. He has a $45M contract, he is almost done, he is a sure fire HoF'er, he has a ring, he is already regarded as one of the best right handed hitters of the generation...so whats the point? I can't believe Manny actually cares enough about his performance and how he's perceived to try and get an edge. Especially since up until now he has been "clean". I just feel if he was juicing, he would have been caught before, or at the very least would have stopped. Why wasnt he caught 2 years ago? Or last year? Why all of a sudden just right now? It just doesnt make sense to me, which is why I will wait to hear his official excuse in detail.

None of the really good players using steroids makes sense, it's just their egos getting out of control. Manny is the first player to use them that surprises me honestly, and at this point it's only a mild surprise.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 7, 2009 -> 07:37 AM)
This will make it enormously more difficult to cheer for the Dodgers to beat the Cubs's tails if they both make the playoffs again.

Unless we're foolishly assuming that the majority of the league is clean then I don't really see what it matters. Unless we're just giving the benefit of the doubt to anyone who has yet to test positive which you really can not do.

LMAO. The thing is there are a ton of guys who have never tested positive who cheated. Most likely several names that would shock us. Manny is a fraud of the highest proportions, it shouldn't shock anyone he took shortcuts.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 7, 2009 -> 07:47 AM)
I think we are all jumping the gun a bit here...there are definitely varying degrees of PED abuse, in my mind. There is quite a difference between a guy just flat-out roiding and a guy using some silly banned supplement that is questionable in the effects it even has.

I'm not going to throw out the player Manny has been for the last 15 years because of this quite yet.

We're DEFINITELY jumping the gun, I admit that and won't argue it. But it's baseball own fault that everybody jumps the gun like this now. They ignored this problem for a solid decade and a half to two decades, and now they have this monster in place where people are so angry that even the whiff of a failed test means you'll never make the Hall of Fame.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 7, 2009 -> 11:19 PM)
oh man, Canseco is in full conspiracy/crazy mode.

He's saying he probably didn't test positive now, it's a conspiracy to make up for past use.

It's actually quite believable.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 7, 2009 -> 05:47 AM)

My problem with your argument is that it's nothing we haven't heard before.

Manny needs to come out and establish beyond a shadow of a doubt exactly what he was taking, why he was taking it, and get the league/union to confirm it before I'd even consider that option.

For all we know, he's telling the truth, but at the same time he was loading up on some real juice and at the same time taking something on a doctor's orders so that if he ever tested positive he'd have an excuse.

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 7, 2009 -> 07:49 AM)
Would you give the same answer for Alexei Ramirez?

There isn't a single player in baseball I assume is for sure clean. I think there are guys who are clean, but to assume anybody is definitely clean anymore is simply burying your head in the sand, and now I don't think anybody using would surprise me. Manny is the last guy i'm going to let get me with the element of surprise.

Well, the Doc thing is possible. Hard to say. Even if, again, why do these guys not check with the MLB for ANYTHING they put in their body? Can they be that ignorant?

But in any case, it couldn't have happened to a better candidate. I have zero patience with guys that make it to the top, make that kind of money from the fans, and then s*** on those same fans by be unwilling to make a 100% effort on the field. If it had to happen to a star player, I'm glad it was Manny.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 7, 2009 -> 05:52 AM)
Didn't Canseco and Thomas play together on the Sox? If so, I think Canseco would have said something.

Canseco was signed in 2001 after Thomas hit the DL with an injury. The whole David Wells calling Frank out for not really being hurt a day before he went down for the season thing.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ May 7, 2009 -> 07:52 AM)
since when do doctors give out silly supplements with questionable effects?

he isn't saying it's a supplement, he's saying there was a medical condition that needed a prescription that his doctor thought would be OK. Although if I'm a MLB player I check with MLB on everything.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 7, 2009 -> 07:52 AM)
Didn't Canseco and Thomas play together on the Sox? If so, I think Canseco would have said something.

As for Manny...not surprised at all which is a sad state for a baseball fan to be in.

I wish somebody would flat out ask Canseco about Junior and Frank. If he came out and said those two weren't using, it would make me feel a lot better, as crazy as that sounds (although it's not crazy anymore, he hasn't missed yet on what guys he said used.)