5/7 Games

flavum

They stake him to a nice lead.

And then it looks like there's a rain delay.

Can't catch a break with this stupid weather.

Looks like Hudson struck out the first two guys he faced too. Nice.

Edited by scenario

I guess they probably won't bring him back if he sits for more than 30 minutes.

This weather is even driving Gardenhire batty. He was very vehement in his aggravation about the situation in Baltimore yesterday of starting and stopping games and having no "window" at all to play the game...of course, his team lost, so part of it's sour grapes, but the visiting team almost always seems to get screwed in those games where the home team is leading and they force the teams to get through five innings.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 7, 2009 -> 09:34 AM)
I really think there has to be a cheaper alternative that retractable domes. Maybe that sail-type thing they had over the proposed park in Tampa can gain some steam rainouts and rain delays can become a thing of the past, at least in the major leagues.

Something at least, because that puts a lot of strain on the players to have to play double headers multiple times, then have to get on a bus for 5 hours.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 7, 2009 -> 09:40 AM)
Something at least, because that puts a lot of strain on the players to have to play double headers multiple times, then have to get on a bus for 5 hours.

Maybe, but I'd still love to see double header Sundays.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 7, 2009 -> 05:02 PM)
Maybe, but I'd still love to see double header Sundays.

That's fine, but when you have as many games rained out as there have been lately, it's not always fun. Personally, I'm a little sore that Barons are making up a home game that was rained out on Monday in West Tenn. I pay for 70 home games, this year I get 69.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 7, 2009 -> 05:05 PM)
That's fine, but when you have as many games rained out as there have been lately, it's not always fun. Personally, I'm a little sore that Barons are making up a home game that was rained out on Monday in West Tenn. I pay for 70 home games, this year I get 69.

I agree. I think God hates baseball because usually the first 1-2 months for baseball, the weather is crappy. It's either bitter cold, or non stop rain.

But I don't see what you can do except maybe those sail things Balta was talking about. No way minor league teams will start building domed stadiums.

However, as I stated the other day, all new ballparks in the MLB should be required to be built with a retractable roof. I think it's beyond idiotic that all the new stadiums that have come up over the past couple of years, and most of them that are coming up shorty are all open. Minnesota is having an open stadium! Are you kidding me? You think early April Games are bad in Chicago, they will likely be much worse in Minnesota.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 7, 2009 -> 05:11 PM)
I agree. I think God hates baseball because usually the first 1-2 months for baseball, the weather is crappy. It's either bitter cold, or non stop rain.

But I don't see what you can do except maybe those sail things Balta was talking about. No way minor league teams will start building domed stadiums.

However, as I stated the other day, all new ballparks in the MLB should be required to be built with a retractable roof. I think it's beyond idiotic that all the new stadiums that have come up over the past couple of years, and most of them that are coming up shorty are all open. Minnesota is having an open stadium! Are you kidding me? You think early April Games are bad in Chicago, they will likely be much worse in Minnesota.

Well, there's been talk for a while of building a dome stadium/multi-purpose facility in B'ham. Although that is a ludicrous proposition, since there is already such a facility and it's empty most of the time. As well as the fact that Regions Park is only 21 years old and has recently received upgrades that will make it viable for 20-30 more years. Plus, there is enough parking area around the stadium to build two more stadiums on, they never run out of parking. Look at it on Google Earth if you get a chance.

Although it would be grueling, I think it would be logical to have as many northern teams on the road most of the time for the first month of the season in MLB. Minnesota is going to have to deal with a lot of delays in April of every year, and people won't like it since they're use to not dealing with that at all.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 7, 2009 -> 03:11 PM)

Why should the Angels pay something obscene like an extra 100 million in construction costs to have a retractable dome when they've had something like one rainout in the past 20 years. Bottom line, it costs a lot to do that. So if there was some cheap alternative, like a giant tarp, fine, otherwise, it just happens to be that its a cost benefit analysis for that particular franchise.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 7, 2009 -> 05:21 PM)
Why should the Angels pay something obscene like an extra 100 million in construction costs to have a retractable dome when they've had something like one rainout in the past 20 years. Bottom line, it costs a lot to do that. So if there was some cheap alternative, like a giant tarp, fine, otherwise, it just happens to be that its a cost benefit analysis for that particular franchise.

Are the Angels planning on creating a new stadium? (this is a serious question)

Because my idea would make it a requirement that all new stadiums have a retractable dome. And you could make an exemption for places that rarely have rain and bad weather.