Draft Profile: Mike Trout

Chisoxfn

If the Sox want to take the option of a prep outfielder, Mike Trout is a guy that is climbing draft boards. He's got very good defensive tools, lots of speed (which we know the Sox want) and profiles as a potential top of the order hitter. He doesn't have great power and some question whether he'll hit at the next level, but his athletism is there and he seems like he'd be a great value pick in the late first round and could potentially be there.

Mike Trout, of, Millville (N.J.) High

Nobody has done more with less than Mike Trout. Weather on the East Coast this spring has wreaked havoc with schedules, especially on the high school level. Trout's Millville (N.J.) High had played just 11 games as of this week. The Thunderbolts have had about a dozen games postponed. But because of constant communication between Trout, his family, coach and scouts, he has been crosschecked like guys that are suppose to be locks for the first 10 picks. There was a window of sunshine before a game against local foe Vineland (N.J.) High and Trout's head coach, Roy Hallenbeck, arranged for a batting practice session at Millville that was attended by more than 30 scouts, crosscheckers and directors.

In those 11 games Trout has become a no-doubt first-round candidate. He's a very strong, athletic outfielder with tremendous speed. In a game this past weekend he got down the line in 4.06 seconds from the right side, making him a 70 runner on the 20-80 scouting scale. He has very strong forearms and wrists that generate good bat speed and the ball rockets off of his bat. He's also very aggressive. After reaching on the infield single he advanced to second with a stolen base and then scored from second when the second baseman mishandled a ground ball.

"He has become an absolute favorite of scouts," an American League scout said. "He's like (Aaron) Rowand, but he's faster than Rowand. With the Phillies, Rowand was a fringe-average runner with great instincts. He's got that Rowand makeup—gritty, hard-nosed. He's not a slam dunk to hit. But I'll take my chance on him with the makeup."

Through 11 games Trout was hitting .514/.638/1.257 in 35 at-bats with seven home runs, 24 runs scored and six stolen bases.

Here's another report on him:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2009/...p?content=trout

I wouldn't mind grabbing him some point in the first 5. If he can turn out to be able to switch hit and hit effectively from both sides, hot damn. Needs some work on his swing though, from the couple of clips I've seen.

Another toolsy prep outfielder I like is Brian Goodwin. He needs some work on his swing as well, but he reminds me a lot of Kenny Lofton. He supposedly is a very good defender, and has a good, and potentially plus arm in center. His swing is a bit slappy though, but he puts the ball in play and uses his great speed to his advantage.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2009/...content=goodwin

Edited by BearSox

Trout appears to be a lock to go somewhere in the first. Some people have him rising into the top 15 range where others have him going in the first round or at least the supplementals. A lot can still happen but he's hit for a lot more power in his scout showcases this season and that had been the one draw-back on him.

On a sidenote, I'm going to try and do a few of these a week leading up all the way to the draft, that way a lot of us will have an idea of most of the top candidates that might be there with some of the Sox early selections.

I encourage others (BearSox, Scenario, Dan, whomever) to do more of the same, that way we have a nice informational database right here on Soxtalk.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 7, 2009 -> 05:04 PM)
On a sidenote, I'm going to try and do a few of these a week leading up all the way to the draft, that way a lot of us will have an idea of most of the top candidates that might be there with some of the Sox early selections.

I encourage others (BearSox, Scenario, Dan, whomever) to do more of the same, that way we have a nice informational database right here on Soxtalk.

Might not be a bad idea to create an official draft discussion thread, and have the first post as a list of players with a link to either a scouting report or a thread created in here.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 7, 2009 -> 05:04 PM)

Good idea. Count me in.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 7, 2009 -> 05:12 PM)
Might not be a bad idea to create an official draft discussion thread, and have the first post as a list of players with a link to either a scouting report or a thread created in here.

There's so little on this board on a daily basis other than the daily games threads so we might as well just keep it in this board. There won't be much competition.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 7, 2009 -> 06:20 PM)
There's so little on this board on a daily basis other than the daily games threads so we might as well just keep it in this board. There won't be much competition.

I'm just saying have that thread for reference. In a couple of weeks, we might have 30 of this threads. So instead of sifting throughout the previous couple of pages to look for a certain player thread, you can just click on the players link in the main prospect thread.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 7, 2009 -> 05:41 PM)
I'm just saying have that thread for reference. In a couple of weeks, we might have 30 of this threads. So instead of sifting throughout the previous couple of pages to look for a certain player thread, you can just click on the players link in the main prospect thread.

Don't worry, scenario already has that thread up.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 7, 2009 -> 08:15 PM)
Great stuff with all of this...really appreciate. Trout's scouting report up there has got to give the Sox brass an instant erection. A great resource as the draft gets closer is the video section on minorleaguebaseball.com

Not only is he a toolsy grinder, he is a football player! He definitely shoots up the list once KW sees that on the scouting report.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been reading more and more about this guy, and I really like him. If he's there at 23, I really want him now. He's a baseball guy and loves the game, is a potential 5 tool player (maybe 4 1/2 depending on how much power he develops), and he might even be a switch hitter.

I just wonder if he will stick with switch hitting once he enters pro-ball, or decide to stay as a righty... I suppose it depends on which team drafts him and what their scouting department thinks.

He fits what the Sox like and I think he's the perfect fit if they want to go outfielder. He's a prep though so it'll take time to develop him. I don't know if the Sox are okay with that or not, but if they are, he'd be a great get, imo.

Solid value, above average tools, heady player. I like him a hell of a lot.

Another name I really like, Kris Davis, CSUF. Guy is a f***ing masher. Massive power and he played little his first two years, really came into his own this year and has a lot more power potential. The guy f***ing rakes in BP and is a very good athlete.

Could be a nice pickup in the top 12 rounds.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 02:17 AM)
Keith Law and Jonathan Mayo have us taking Trout with our first pick.

That would be great. Wasn't this kid projected as a possible top 10 pick just a couple weeks ago?

Edited by dasox24

I freaking love Trout and Evan, Trout was projected to go in the 20-30 range, possibly just outside of the first round as well. He does seem to be climbing up draft boards. I've been a big fan of his though. Great tools, great attitude, whats not to like.