2009 MLB Pre-Draft Discussion

scenario

QUOTE (chunk23 @ May 15, 2009 -> 10:58 AM)
BA Mock Draft

1. Stephen Strasburg (Nationals)

2. Dustin Ackley (Mariners)

3. Grant Green (Padres)

4. Kyle Gibson (Pirates)

5. Alex White (Orioles)

6. Donovan Tate (Giants)

7. Zack Wheeler (Braves)

8. Aaron Crow (Reds)

9. Jacob Turner (Tigers)

10. Chad Jenkins (Nationals)

11. Mike Leake (Rockies)

12. Tanner Scheppers (Royals)

14. Shelby Miller (Rangers)

15. Tim Wheeler (Indians)

16. Matt Purke (Diamondbacks)

17. Bobby Borchering (Diamondbacks)

18. Chad James (Marlins)

19. Rex Brothers (Cardinals)

20. James Paxon (Blue Jays)

21. Everett Williams (Astros)

22. Andy Oliver (Twins)

23. Eric Arnett (White Sox)

24. Mike Trout (Angels)

25. Tyler Skaggs (Angels)

26. Kyle Heckathorn (Brewers)

27. Jared Mitchell (Mariners)

28. Max Stassi (Red Sox)

29. Brett Jackson (Yankees)

30. Tony Sanchez (Rays)

31. AJ Pollock (Cubs)

32. Garrett Gould (Rockies)

Here's BA on our projected pick http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/college/?p=1026

I noticed Grant Greens name wasn't on the list. I keep wondering how far his stock has really fallen. Before the college baseball season, Green appeared to be a lock as a top 10 pick and many experts had him going #2 overall with a good season. I know we already have a shortstop but if he really does slide to us I just couldn't pass him up. He's a hell of a talent.

Below is a link with some info on him, but I'll definately get something written up on him in the coming week.

http://projectprospect.com/article/2009/04...ospect-is-green

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 15, 2009 -> 05:19 PM)
They have Grant Green going 3rd overall...

Oh okay, I knew something had to be off. I had seen him slated most places as still being a top 15 pick. Thanks for pointing that out. Been a long week, haha.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 15, 2009 -> 07:40 PM)
Oh okay, I knew something had to be off. I had seen him slated most places as still being a top 15 pick. Thanks for pointing that out. Been a long week, haha.

lol, yeah, it's been a long one alright.

Only about 20 or so days left, I believe.

AJ Pollack sounds like he'd be a good choice for the sox at #23-a solid, top of the order hitter who has speed and can play defense. I read somewhere that he was called a right handed hitting Jacoby ellsbury with less speed.

Here's a writeup from Sporting news blog:

"But another outfielder whose been solid all year -- and has been ever since he lit up the Cape Cod League last year -- is Notre Dame's A.J. Pollock. Pollock led the league in hits and doubles, and ranked second in average at .377. Obviously, Pollock has proven he can hit with a wood bat.

This kid's a gamer, likes to get dirty and is a great contact hitter. He's a little bit overlooked because he's s bit stocky at 6-1 and 200 pounds. His bat and above-average speed can play at second base, too, where I could see him develop power like Dan Uggla, but with a much better glove.

One scout's take: "A versatile defensive player with great hands, a strong arm and good instincts. Offensively, he can hit for power and is one of the Irish's fastest baserunners."

In a draft full of questions, Pollock's pretty solid. What you see is what you get, so there will be no surprises. There's tools and athleticism, and then there's track record. With this kind of draft, I know where I'd be headed."

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/MLB_Draft...nce?#page_break

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 15, 2009 -> 07:36 PM)
God I hope Rex Brothers falls to us. That's the guy me and I believe beautox really, really like.

Yeah i would love for the sox to snatch up Brothers.

Ideally our first three picks would go something like this

Brothers

Sanchez / Wheeler if he drops a bit

Aaron Miller

Brothers, Sanchez, and Miller would be a really sexy draft. Unfortunately, I don't see either Brothers or Sanchez falling to either of those picks. Well, Sanchez has a chance, but Brothers is looking more and more like a top 10 pick. Lefties with his stuff who can start don't last a long time come draft day.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 18, 2009 -> 07:43 AM)
Brothers, Sanchez, and Miller would be a really sexy draft. Unfortunately, I don't see either Brothers or Sanchez falling to either of those picks. Well, Sanchez has a chance, but Brothers is looking more and more like a top 10 pick. Lefties with his stuff who can start don't last a long time come draft day.

Ya, I wouldn't be shocked if he just flew on the draft boards. Paxton is a bit more realistic target.

So here is a weird question for you guys who know more about college ball than I do...

I went to Iowa State, and flirted with the idea of trying to walk on there. Didn't do it. I looked into the program there a bit, and it looked like (at that time) they were pretty much the bottom of the Big 8 (now Big 12).

How would I look into seeing what, if any, Iowa State players have been drafted? Made it to the majors? And does anyone know anything about the current state of the program?

Sorry for the tangent.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 18, 2009 -> 11:06 AM)
So here is a weird question for you guys who know more about college ball than I do...

I went to Iowa State, and flirted with the idea of trying to walk on there. Didn't do it. I looked into the program there a bit, and it looked like (at that time) they were pretty much the bottom of the Big 8 (now Big 12).

How would I look into seeing what, if any, Iowa State players have been drafted? Made it to the majors? And does anyone know anything about the current state of the program?

Sorry for the tangent.

Matt, that would be a really good question to put into one of the free Q&A's Baseball America does. You might even be able to get it in today as BA is doing its college chat right now.

I personally have no idea on any guys that were drafted out of Iowa State. Another good spot, check out Iowa State's baseball page cause it usually tracks alumni especially this time of year. Oh and more specifically, I rarely follow baseball in the big ten because aside from a few teams its just not very good. Indiana has a few good guys this year, Ohio State is decent, Michigan has its years, Minnesota has had some solid squads, but rarely if ever do I see a team that is a legit playoff contender or is fulled with top talent.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 18, 2009 -> 01:23 PM)
Matt, that would be a really good question to put into one of the free Q&A's Baseball America does. You might even be able to get it in today as BA is doing its college chat right now.

I personally have no idea on any guys that were drafted out of Iowa State. Another good spot, check out Iowa State's baseball page cause it usually tracks alumni especially this time of year. Oh and more specifically, I rarely follow baseball in the big ten because aside from a few teams its just not very good. Indiana has a few good guys this year, Ohio State is decent, Michigan has its years, Minnesota has had some solid squads, but rarely if ever do I see a team that is a legit playoff contender or is fulled with top talent.

Thanks.

You do know that Iowa State is in the Big 12, not the Big 10, right?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 18, 2009 -> 02:06 PM)

Sorry for the tangent.

I believe you can sort by school in the draft section of baseball-reference.com

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 18, 2009 -> 02:08 PM)
I believe you can sort by school in the draft section of baseball-reference.com

Sure enough, thanks!

ISU has had 17 major league players. The most well known one seems to be former pitcher Mike Myers.

The last time they had a player drafted was 2001 - Alan Bomer, RHP, 9th rd, to the Cubs. Never made it to the bigs.

Looks like they used to have at least one guy drafted each year up until 2001, then nothing.

Ya Matt, I knew that, am an idiot though. Big 12 is a much much more elite baseball conference, but Iowa State isn't the reason why, haha. Texas, OU, Oklahoma State, and Missouri would be those reasons. Hell, Kansas is even playing good right now (and will be in the playoffs).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 18, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
Ya Matt, I knew that, am an idiot though. Big 12 is a much much more elite baseball conference, but Iowa State isn't the reason why, haha. Texas, OU, Oklahoma State, and Missouri would be those reasons. Hell, Kansas is even playing good right now (and will be in the playoffs).

I don't know how they are doing this year, but Baylor is producing some real good talent this year.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 18, 2009 -> 01:29 PM)
I don't know how they are doing this year, but Baylor is producing some real good talent this year.

Baylor has massively collapsed and is a bubble squad. Kansas State is having a very good year though. Big 12 is easily one of the biggest hot-beds, if not the biggest, for future MLB talent though.

I'm planning on doing a lot of profiles tomorrow. Here are the guys I will be focusing on:

C Luke Bailey, HS Georgia

C Austin Madon, HS Florida

C Trevor Coleman, Missouri

C Wil Myers, HS North Carolina

C Diego Seastrunk, Rice

C Max Stassi, HS California

C Steve Baron, HS Florida

1B/C Tommy Joseph, HS Arizona

1B Rich Poythress, Georgia

1B Ben Paulsen, Clemson

3B Bobby Borchering, HS Florida

3B Matt Davidson, HS California

OF Jason Kipnis, Arizona St.

OF Brian Goodwin, HS North Carolina

OF Jared Mitchell, LSU

OF Kentrail Davis, Tennessee

OF/P Slade Heathcott, HS Texas

SP Kyle Heckathorn, Kennesaw St.

SP Chad Jenkins, Kennesaw St.

SP Brad Boxberger, USC

SP Zach Wheeler, HS Georgia

SP Andy Oliver, Oklahoma St.

RP Joe Kelly, UC Riverside

RP Jason Stoffel, Arizona

Also, someone needs to add Schuster to the links on the 2nd post of the page.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ May 18, 2009 -> 10:39 PM)
Iowa State dropped their baseball program earlier this decade.

I'm pretty familiar with it. :)

http://www.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/exhibits/b...reflections.htm

Mainly for NS....a history of ISU baseball. Starts with a picture of them playing baseball around where the Campanile is.