2009 MLB Pre-Draft Discussion

scenario

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 29, 2009 -> 07:09 PM)
If we go the leadoff hitter route, I'm looking at Tim Wheeler. Much more polished than Mitchell, but less upside. However, I'd rather get a solid leadoff hitter over the next Joey Gatright. Right now, if Brothers and Leake aren't around at 23, I want one of Pollack, Wheeler, or Sanchez.

Wheeler is right there with Pollack. I prefer Pollack but Wheeler is a great get and better than the Cal guy.

We could see a big time reach with the Pirates at no. 4. Word is that they want to save money to go all out for 16 year Dominican SS/RF Miguel Sano (who is supposedly a great player).

If they don't reach, the pick will likely be Crow or Gibson (probably Gibson cause he would be cheaper than Crow). However, if they really want to save a lot and reach on someone, they are said to really like Wil Myers, a prep catcher, who has been raising up boards recently. They also like Tony Sanchez and Bobby Borchering.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 30, 2009 -> 02:39 PM)
I think Crow would be a great pick for them, especially with them wanting to make the big splash during the international signing period. I'd back that move from the Pirates perspective.

I think because of money the Pirates definitely pass on Crow, which means he probably goes to Baltimore. Baltimore has the chance to be scary good in the near future in that scenario, They already have 3 of the better pitching prospects in baseball and Crow would jump right into that mix. That entire division is just going to be ridiculous.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 03:42 AM)
I think because of money the Pirates definitely pass on Crow, which means he probably goes to Baltimore. Baltimore has the chance to be scary good in the near future in that scenario, They already have 3 of the better pitching prospects in baseball and Crow would jump right into that mix. That entire division is just going to be ridiculous.

I somehow pray Crow falls down to the Sox because I would love him in our system, but that ain't happening. It looks like his decision last year is going to payoff, probably getting a similar bonus and not being apart of the Nationals organization. Seems like a win-win to me.

Law has a new Mock up with the Sox taking Everett Williams "Also linked to Fuentes and the major college arms, including Arnett, Heckathorn and Minor; they had a lot of heat in at the SEC to witness Minor's command performance against LSU."

Has Fuentes going to the Angels, Arnett to the Indians at 15, Brothers to the Cards, and Pollock to the Mariners at 27. He also has Scheppers slipping out of the first round, fwiw.

I've never been a fan of Law. It's completely ridiculous to have Scheppers falling out of the first round. He's still got a shot at the top 10 from everything I've seen. I can't see why he would fall so low, and some team in the 20's would love to take a chance on an arm like his (if he's healthy).

Williams, I like him the most of all the toolsy athletic HS outfielders (besides Trout), but he K's a lot. But he's more polished than the usual HS player and has a nice swing.

Fuentes (who is Carlos Beltran's nephew I believe) has been rising fast, but I doubt we see him in the first round.

If we draft Mike Minor, we're going back to our old way of drafting "safe picks." Minor is a polished pitcher, but he has mediocre stuff. Heckathorn has a really good arm, but is very raw and would be a project. I'll do a draft report on Minor, Heckathorn, and Williams today.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)
Scheppers isn't making it past all of those teams towards the end of the draft. No way.

The only way he falls is if teams aren't convinced about his health, but all reports I've read say he's doing nicely. The only reasoning Law gave for not having Scheppers in the first round was that he "doesn't have a home right now in the first round" despite having him ranked as the 3rd best draft prospect, I guess there aren't any teams in need of pitching (fails in attempt to insert sarcasm emoticon here). It doesn't make a lot of sense but then again that's often Law's MO, nonsensical journalism.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 09:09 AM)
Law has a new Mock up with the Sox taking Everett Williams "Also linked to Fuentes and the major college arms, including Arnett, Heckathorn and Minor; they had a lot of heat in at the SEC to witness Minor's command performance against LSU."

Has Fuentes going to the Angels, Arnett to the Indians at 15, Brothers to the Cards, and Pollock to the Mariners at 27. He also has Scheppers slipping out of the first round, fwiw.

He has Scheppers going 5th overall to Baltimore.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 09:12 AM)
Still stand by my statement that Jared Mitchell will be our first pick. I also see the Sox taking Storen, the reliever out of Stanford, with a 2nd round pick.

Storen would be a good value pick in the 2nd round. He's got one hell of an arm.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 04:15 PM)
Anyone think we might target Oliver from Okl St with our first pick to fill the void of potentially trading Poreda and/or Richard?

He's kind of like Carter/Hudson who had good years the year before the Sox drafted them but not so hot the year they were drafted.

ESPN had this to day about the Sox "Sox have taken a college player in the first round every year this decade with the exception of 2001, when they selected RHP Kris Honel, who is now out of the organization. Good bet it's going to be a college kid again in '09."

The funny thing is that in every mock draft they have had the Sox selecting a player out of HS. The Sox will likely continue the trend and take a college, Fuentes would be an option in the Comp round, but I dont think he will be there that long. I could see the Sox taking two CF's with their first two picks, a college player with a high floor and then taking a chance on a toolsy high school kid with a high ceiling and doing the same thing with SP's in the second round.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)
Still stand by my statement that Jared Mitchell will be our first pick.

Mitchell doesn't do it for me...a good-but-not-great .333 BA, limited history of success (.297, 15/49 BB to K last year), and most of all 58 K's in 195 ABs this year. He did greatly improve his walk rate this year (50 BBs), but overall he reminds me of a mildly improved version of another lefty-hitting centerfielder who also played WR in college...Jerry Owens.

Anyone nothing anything about LSU pitcher Anthony Ranaudo ? I'm watching him right now, and he pounds the strike zone. He's third in the NCAA in strikeouts.

Player ERA W-L APP GS CG SHO/CBO SV IP H R ER BB SO 2B 3B HR AB B/Avg WP HBP BK SFA SHA

23 Anthony Ranaudo.. 3.09 9-3 15 15 0 0/0 0 102.0 71 38 35 41 138 16 1 13 356 .199 6 7 0 1 9

Edited by Thunderbolt