2009 MLB Pre-Draft Discussion

scenario

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 07:15 PM)
I agree, I wouldn't mind drafting him at all. He's got a ton of power, has a really strong arm and is a solid defender at 3B, and has surprisingly good speed for a guy his size. He's a really good athlete. If he can figure it out with the bat, he could be a solid player in the league.

Wait, the guy can hit like nobodies business. Massive power, good average. I don't know if it'll project in the majors but I love the s*** out of his offensive ability. Defensively, well, don't know if he'll stick or not but I have little doubt that he'll rake in the minors (at least in the minors). Imo, he was the best offensive 3rd baseman in the college this past season.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 09:32 PM)
Wait, the guy can hit like nobodies business. Massive power, good average. I don't know if it'll project in the majors but I love the s*** out of his offensive ability. Defensively, well, don't know if he'll stick or not but I have little doubt that he'll rake in the minors (at least in the minors). Imo, he was the best offensive 3rd baseman in the college this past season.

From what I've read, there's no doubt he's got a ton of power, but scouts question his overall hitting ability when he makes the transition to professional baseball. However, he's had back to back fantastic seasons which might have answered some of those questions. Last year the biggest knock on him seemed to be inconsistency though.

Defensively, from what I've read, he should be able to stick at 3B, although he likely has some work to do (20+ E's this season at 3B).

Here is my rosterbating for the draft and two predictions: Grant Green drops past the 20th pick and Tanner Scheppers drops past the 15th pick.

I doubt in my wildest dreams this is are draft but for the next 23 hours i will dream.

23rd - Rex Brothers

38th - Tony Sanchez

61st - Drew Storen

71st - Aaron Miller

Beautox that would simply be an outstanding draft for us, and I knew you couldn't resist our boy Brothers. :P I'm gonna be on the danman bandwagon and literally hold off any glimmer of hope that Crow falls to us, though that is extremely unlikely. Gibson.. I'll definitely chance him as well. I'm quickly falling in love with Luke Bailey though, so if he's there in the later rounds.. my god.. :o

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 07:48 PM)
Ima throw this out there, and I believe it was Jas who wrote about this kid here, but I can definitely see the sox taking Blash (has got some holes, but has upside) say around 7th-10th round for a good value pick.

Former Sox selection so I fully expect us to grab him at one point in the draft.

On a sidenote, heres Mayo's latest mock.

Has us still going with a toolsy prep outfielder which it sounds like he's either hearing or thinking. Originally had Trout, now has Everette Williams going to us. Tanner Scheppers and Kyle Gibson are both on the board when we pick too. Gibson falls all the way to the end of the 1st round, Scheppers goes to the Mariners.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...9&fext=.jsp

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 09:48 PM)
Ima throw this out there, and I believe it was Jas who wrote about this kid here, but I can definitely see the sox taking Blash (has got some holes, but has upside) say around 7th-10th round for a good value pick.

Good idea, but it looks like he's been really raising up draft boards, and don't be surprised to see him go in round 3 (although I don't think he'll go off the board until rounds 5-8)... I'd love to get him round though in any round past 4 though.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 09:50 PM)
Former Sox selection so I fully expect us to grab him at one point in the draft.

On a sidenote, heres Mayo's latest mock.

Has us still going with a toolsy prep outfielder which it sounds like he's either hearing or thinking. Originally had Trout, now has Everette Williams going to us. Tanner Scheppers and Kyle Gibson are both on the board when we pick too. Gibson falls all the way to the end of the 1st round, Scheppers goes to the Mariners.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...9&fext=.jsp

I highly doubt we go with a toolsy athletic but raw HS player. Trout is the exception though cause he's really not that raw and quite advanced for a HS player, IMO, and he fits what we look for in baseball players.

Edited by BearSox

I wouldn't be surprised to see A.J. Pollock slip out of the 1st round. I think teams are starting to look at him and saying to themselves, "He's a good player, but perhaps we want someone with more upside in the first." If we don't go with him at 23 (I doubt we would), and if falls to 38, that'd be fantastically awesome. He's likely never gonna be some great player, but if you could get a decent average at around .280 with a .350 OBP, ~800 OPS, about 10 homers, and 20 SB potential and solid D in CF or LF, that's a really solid ball player to have on your team.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 07:52 PM)
I highly doubt we go with a toolsy athletic but raw HS player. Trout is the exception though cause he's really not that raw and quite advanced for a HS player, IMO, and he fits what we look for in baseball players.

The Sox have never shyed on prep outfielders so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them grab one of Trout/Everette/Fuentes. Not at all.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 07:55 PM)
I wouldn't be surprised to see A.J. Pollock slip out of the 1st round. I think teams are starting to look at him and saying to themselves, "He's a good player, but perhaps we want someone with more upside in the first." If we don't go with him at 23 (I doubt we would), and if falls to 38, that'd be fantastically awesome. He's likely never gonna be some great player, but if you could get a decent average at around .280 with a .350 OBP, ~800 OPS, about 10 homers, and 20 SB potential and solid D in CF or LF, that's a really solid ball player to have on your team.

I don't think he gets past the Cubs, unless of course someone else falls in there laps.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 10:32 PM)

I love being agreed with. I have no idea why Dominguez isn’t more highly rated. He’s a bit raw in a lot of areas, but he’s absolutely explosive with the bat.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 08:06 PM)
I love being agreed with. I have no idea why Dominguez isn’t more highly rated. He’s a bit raw in a lot of areas, but he’s absolutely explosive with the bat.

I've been raving about him for a while and than after seeing him play in person, holy moly. Albeit I happened to see him just crush the ball in two of his AB's and make two very good plays at 3rd base. I still don't know if he'll make it at 3rd and he defiantely doesn't have a killer arm but he's really a good athlete and I think he'll f***ing rake fastballs. So he should be fine to produce in at least the minors.

No doubt Jas. No doubt about it at all.

Look out for the names I mentioned weeks ago as well on this very same thread. As we all know the sox love to revisit prior picks/draft and follows. Expect someone (or a few) asking "Why did we take a pitcher whose era was in the 7s in the 5th round?"

Should be an interesting draft for us. I expect us to revist Brett Basham and Christopher Cron in this draft who were former picks. I'm also sure we'll see some guys/projects with high eras in college taken in later rounds who either need a mechanic tweak, or to develop better their secondary pitches (like the Dominion boys, esp. D. Carter who was already bringing it with his 95+ gas but now has the command) Should be pretty interesting also to see half of soxtalk pissed at a pick.

And yes, I'm officially in love with Luke Bailey. Like Phegley as well as far as catchers. Beware of a Paxton/Arnett sighting.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 11:08 PM)
I've been raving about him for a while and than after seeing him play in person, holy moly. Albeit I happened to see him just crush the ball in two of his AB's and make two very good plays at 3rd base. I still don't know if he'll make it at 3rd and he defiantely doesn't have a killer arm but he's really a good athlete and I think he'll f***ing rake fastballs. So he should be fine to produce in at least the minors.

Who wouldn’t want a guy who legitimately deserves the nickname The Louisville Slugger?

Dominquez ties the Big Hurt’s 3-homer mark. http://www.codball.com/2008/07/10/chris-do...-3-homers-mark/

Bailey would be a great get. We'd have to go over slot money for him though but I have heard rumblings that we nab a catcher early in the draft so maybe its him. I also recall reading where Lauman indicated that the Sox could spend money if there was a really good player they liked on the board.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 09:59 PM)
The Sox have never shyed on prep outfielders so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them grab one of Trout/Everette/Fuentes. Not at all.

HS players in the first round altogether is not really our MO. In fact, last year with the new scouting regime, we only drafted a HS player in the first 10 rounds. Not saying that's gonna repeat, but I don't see us going with a HS player in the 1st. The only one I see is Trout.

Lauman hasn't been afraid of taking prep players and the Sox never have been opposed to it. I believe Lauman was behind the Honel selection, which was the last prep we took in the first round. I'd agree they tend to take college guys in the first round and if we go with a pitcher I expect a college guy but if they take the route of a hitter it will likely be a prep.

I say all this about the Sox taking a prep outfielder potentially and than I read this:

Draft update: After unsuccessful search in the pro ranks over the past two years, the Sox appear to be leaning toward drafting a leadoff batter with the 23rd overall pick in Tuesday night's amateur draft.

"Well, we're definitely trying to focus on a guy like that," scouting director Doug Laumann said. "That's been one of our priorities to focus. Ultimately, I think we're going to have to settle with whatever the best guy available at that spot is."

Among the players who could be available at that spot are outfielders Jared Mitchell of LSU and Everett Williams of McCallum High in Austin, Texas, who signed a litter of intent to play for the Longhorns.

The Sox have five of the first 102 picks, but Laumann seemed leery of picking a high school player high because of signing issues caused by college offers.

I know a lot of people don't like MItchell and I agree his K rate is flat out alarming but he does at least have a ton of tools. I like him a lot more than Brett Jackson of Cal. If you go the college OF route it comes down to two players Mitchell and Pollack. MItchell has far more tools, Pollack has good tools, polish and baseball skills. The Sox would have to pay Williams at least slot money so that might scare them off, but hopefully they can get comfortable with one of the prep outfielders.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 10:18 PM)
Bad news, I'll be shocked if it's not Mitchell.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0...0,5772928.story

Mitchell is the type of toolsy hole-in-the-swing player that the previous scouting regime would have loved to take at the top of the draft. Multi-sport athlete with a hole in the swing? Check.

Considering how close this team is to a rebuilding mode, I hope they realize that it would be very very smart to spend money in this draft, especially when there are bound to be a good group of players available in the first 4-5 rounds and than plenty more guys that fall who could be good options.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 08:21 PM)
Mitchell is the type of toolsy hole-in-the-swing player that the previous scouting regime would have loved to take at the top of the draft. Multi-sport athlete with a hole in the swing? Check.

Technically speaking, Lauman is all about the athletes as is Kenny so it fits more into the current regimes MO. I know they took Anderson and Fields in the past as well, but for the most part they stayed away from the big outfielders. I still think one of Lauman's best picks was the Chris Young selection and I hope he can find us another one of them (not becuase YOung became a star, but because he had awesome trade value for a latter round selection).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 03:21 AM)
Considering how close this team is to a rebuilding mode, I hope they realize that it would be very very smart to spend money in this draft, especially when there are bound to be a good group of players available in the first 4-5 rounds and than plenty more guys that fall who could be good options.

Don't get your hopes up.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 08:22 PM)
What type of power does Mitchell have? Is he from the Owens school or can he hit the ball into the gap?

He improved a ton this past season which is a good sign. But he's still very very raw. Good to solid power.