2009 MLB Pre-Draft Discussion

scenario

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 18, 2009 -> 09:07 PM)
I'm planning on doing a lot of profiles tomorrow. Here are the guys I will be focusing on:

C Luke Bailey, HS Georgia

C Austin Madon, HS Florida

C Trevor Coleman, Missouri

C Wil Myers, HS North Carolina

C Diego Seastrunk, Rice

C Max Stassi, HS California

C Steve Baron, HS Florida

1B/C Tommy Joseph, HS Arizona

1B Rich Poythress, Georgia

1B Ben Paulsen, Clemson

3B Bobby Borchering, HS Florida

3B Matt Davidson, HS California

OF Jason Kipnis, Arizona St.

OF Brian Goodwin, HS North Carolina

OF Jared Mitchell, LSU

OF Kentrail Davis, Tennessee

OF/P Slade Heathcott, HS Texas

SP Kyle Heckathorn, Kennesaw St.

SP Chad Jenkins, Kennesaw St.

SP Brad Boxberger, USC

SP Zach Wheeler, HS Georgia

SP Andy Oliver, Oklahoma St.

RP Joe Kelly, UC Riverside

RP Jason Stoffel, Arizona

Also, someone needs to add Schuster to the links on the 2nd post of the page.

SLACKER!!! :lolhitting

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys and gals...is it just me, or do the Sox REALLY need on getting an OF with their first round selection???

Let's just say that in the next three to five years, our lineup could be something like...

C Flowers

1b Allen

2b Beckham

SS Ramirez

3B Viciendo

LF Quentin

CF Danks

RF ?????? Gartrell? Retherford?!?!?!? Shelby?

DH Fields(???)

Unless I'm missing someone or something, the Sox do need to add some more quality bats, otherwise they will have to trade just to fill an OF hole and potentially the DH/3B and/or even 1B depending on if the Sox DH' either Tank or Bo II.

Thoughts or am I drinking too much Shiner Bock again???

Edited by OilCan

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 18, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
Ya Matt, I knew that, am an idiot though. Big 12 is a much much more elite baseball conference, but Iowa State isn't the reason why, haha. Texas, OU, Oklahoma State, and Missouri would be those reasons. Hell, Kansas is even playing good right now (and will be in the playoffs).

...and KSU has been herky-jerky in the 12 this season too, go ask the Horns about them.

This will be a fun Big 12 Tourney coming up in a few days though.

QUOTE (OilCan @ May 18, 2009 -> 09:36 PM)
Guys and gals...is it just me, or do the Sox REALLY need on getting an OF with their first round selection???

Let's just say that in the next three to five years, our lineup could be something like...

C Flowers

1b Allen

2b Beckham

SS Ramirez

3B Viciendo

LF Quentin

CF Danks

RF ?????? Gartrell? Retherford?!?!?!? Shelby?

DH Fields(???)

Unless I'm missing someone or something, the Sox do need to add some more quality bats, otherwise they will have to trade just to fill an OF hole and potentially the DH/3B and/or even 1B depending on if the Sox DH' either Tank or Bo II.

Thoughts or am I drinking too much Shiner Bock again???

You are seriously ignoring the rotation, where the Sox still lack potential front of the rotation starters.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 19, 2009 -> 11:07 AM)
You are seriously ignoring the rotation, where the Sox still lack potential front of the rotation starters.

Despite their struggles this season, Danks/Floyd both can be front of the rotation guys. Plus Poreda/Harrel/Hudson/Carter/Infante/Upchurch are all legit prospects, that being said I dont care what position he plays, I draft best player available.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ May 19, 2009 -> 09:44 AM)
Despite their struggles this season, Danks/Floyd both can be front of the rotation guys. Plus Poreda/Harrel/Hudson/Carter/Infante/Upchurch are all legit prospects, that being said I dont care what position he plays, I draft best player available.

Oh I agree about the rotation, I still think the Sox have three solid guys, two of which are young already in there rotation. The problem is of that group you listed, Infante/Upchurch are very raw, Hudson looks good and is the most advanced in terms of a starter, Harrel probably doesn't have big league starters stuff, and Carter is a bit behind Hudson, but again looks promising. Poreda has a big arm, but probably a reliever.

I don't know if any project as potential front of the rotation guys and you need to really make sure you always have an influx since pitching prospects flame out at a pretty high rate.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 19, 2009 -> 11:46 AM)
Oh I agree about the rotation, I still think the Sox have three solid guys, two of which are young already in there rotation. The problem is of that group you listed, Infante/Upchurch are very raw, Hudson looks good and is the most advanced in terms of a starter, Harrel probably doesn't have big league starters stuff, and Carter is a bit behind Hudson, but again looks promising. Poreda has a big arm, but probably a reliever.

I don't know if any project as potential front of the rotation guys and you need to really make sure you always have an influx since pitching prospects flame out at a pretty high rate.

I think you need to start including Charlie Shirek in the discussion of rotation talent a few years down the line.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ May 18, 2009 -> 10:39 PM)
Iowa State dropped their baseball program earlier this decade.

Oh, I had no idea. I guess that explains why they had guys drafted every year until around 2002 and then just stopped.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 18, 2009 -> 10:46 PM)
I'm pretty familiar with it. :)

http://www.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/exhibits/b...reflections.htm

Mainly for NS....a history of ISU baseball. Starts with a picture of them playing baseball around where the Campanile is.

Thanks Heads, I'll take a gander.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 18, 2009 -> 09:07 PM)
I'm planning on doing a lot of profiles tomorrow. Here are the guys I will be focusing on:

C Luke Bailey, HS Georgia

C Austin Maddox, HS Florida

C Trevor Coleman, Missouri

C Wil Myers, HS North Carolina

C Diego Seastrunk, Rice

C Max Stassi, HS California

C Steve Baron, HS Florida

1B/C Tommy Joseph, HS Arizona

1B Rich Poythress, Georgia

1B Ben Paulsen, Clemson

3B Bobby Borchering, HS Florida

3B Matt Davidson, HS California

OF Jason Kipnis, Arizona St.

OF Brian Goodwin, HS North Carolina

OF Jared Mitchell, LSU

OF Kentrail Davis, Tennessee

OF/P Slade Heathcott, HS Texas

SP Kyle Heckathorn, Kennesaw St.

SP Chad Jenkins, Kennesaw St.

SP Brad Boxberger, USC

SP Zach Wheeler, HS Georgia

SP Andy Oliver, Oklahoma St.

RP Joe Kelly, UC Riverside

RP Jason Stoffel, Arizona

Also, someone needs to add Schuster to the links on the 2nd post of the page.

Okay, after I get some lunch in me, I'm gonna crack out as many of these as I can. I'm gonna do the bolded ones first.

An interesting couple bullet points from BA:

There's not even a consensus that the draft is good or not. Evaluators agree on several themes, however:

• The '09 class is shy on elite talent, particularly in terms of college hitters.

• Pitching will dominate the draft, not just the first round.

• The economy will play a role in the draft.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 19, 2009 -> 01:07 PM)
Anyone know who the MVP of the Cape Cod League was last year?

Pretty sure it was USC SS, Grant Green. He's not lived up to expectations this year and I've heard talk of him falling on draft boards but there's still a few teams considering him in the top 5 and Pads at #3 have been linked to his name a lot as they apparently are planning on going cheap in the draft.

More Stuff from BA, relating to a guys the Sox have been linked to (more through speculation than anything else, but mocks have had these guys as potential Sox targets):

The paucity of hitters should result in the few players scouts agree on, such as outfielders Marc Krauss (Ohio), A.J. Pollock (Notre Dame) and Tim Wheeler (Sacramento State) and catchers Josh Phegley (Indiana) and Tony Sanchez (Boston College), shooting off the board higher than their talent might warrant.

And below is why I'm excited to have the supplemental and additional 2nd round pick's:

"This is the best depth draft from the second to fifth round I've ever seen," another veteran director said, "and the first round's horrible. It's one of those years you have to have the understanding, 'I won't laugh at yours if you won't laugh at mine.' It'll happen in the top 10, somebody will say, 'I can't believe that pick.' "

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 19, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)
I think I'm officially in the boat for A.J. Pollock at pick no. 23.

I love going college pitching, but I also love Pollock a lot. If the projectable lefties are gone, I take Pollack and than go heavy on the high upside, more raw pitchers that will be available in rounds 2-6.

Here's the top end guys that Boras is currently set to represent:

Stephen Strasburg - RHP - SDSU

Dustin Ackley - OF - UNC (starting to play CF)

Nick Green - SS - USC

Donovan Tate - OF - Georgia (High School)

James Paxton - LHP - Kentucky

Andy Oliver - LHP - Oklahoma State

Jacob Turner - RHP - High School (one of the top 5 prep pitchers in the draft)

Keith Law's top 100 prospects list is up but it's only for subscribers. Are we allowed to post that stuff here?

Here's the link anyway:

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/draft2009/i...tory?id=4161981

Just a couple of quick notes from his list:

9 of his top 10 are pitchers

In something of a shock he has James Paxton at #3

Soxtalk favourites Rex Brothers and A.J. Pollock are at #27 and 36 respectively.

EdIT: Wrong link first time round.

Edited by Ozzie Ball

Should be an interesting draft for us. I expect us to revist Brett Basham and Christopher Cron in this draft who were former picks. I'm also sure we'll see some guys/projects with high eras in college taken in later rounds who either need a mechanic tweak, or to develop better their secondary pitches (like the Dominion boys, esp. D. Carter who was already bringing it with his 95+ gas but now has the command) Should be pretty interesting also to see half of soxtalk pissed at a pick. :lol:

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 19, 2009 -> 08:26 PM)
Should be an interesting draft for us. I expect us to revist Brett Basham and Christopher Cron in this draft who were former picks. I'm also sure we'll see some guys/projects with high eras in college taken in later rounds who either need a mechanic tweak, or to develop better their secondary pitches (like the Dominion boys, esp. D. Carter who was already bringing it with his 95+ gas but now has the command) Should be pretty interesting also to see half of soxtalk pissed at a pick. :lol:

Unless Strasboug falls and we pass, are people really going to wind up all that pissed at anything? I mean, the stuff people keep saying is that this is a very deep draft but doesn't really have many people at the very top. That means that even if we reach for someone, he's going to be a guy with a reasonably good shot, and at the same time, we're not exactly going to be passing on anyone big because there aren't that many of them.

Balta you should know by now it happens every year on this site, especially since I've been here. There's always a guy most people here would want who fell but we take a guy with a 8+ era in college or a .230+ ba and at the time it's actually pretty accurate as to why we would get mad. Yea we trust our scouts, but you also know that there's times in the later rounds where we just flat out pass on the better player (I.E. Suzuki for Lucy) Luckally last season the philosophy has changed, also having a top 10 pick and earlier picks in rounds doesn't hurt either. ;) We got alot of draft picks this season, so it should be very interesting. I'm sure there will be a guy who will fall in the first cause of signability issues (happens most of the time) and it'll be interesting to see what many think we would do if he was in our laps with our pick.

I only have time for 1 profile today, and I'm gonna knock that out in a couple minutes... but, if I have time this weekend, I plan on doing a mock draft. It'll be tougher this year since outside of the top 5 or so, there's not gonna be a huge difference between the players taken at 10 overall and 20 overall like there was last year, but I'll try my best.

I'll give you guys a sneak preview though... Bit of a surprise, I have Strasburg going no. 1 overall! Shocker, I know.