Although it's early, Buehrle getting the Cy Young

wilmot825

Is this finally the year Mark Buehrle wins a Cy Young award to go with his awesome career highlights? He is quietly 5-0 and has the control to contest for the award. Not to mention he "knock on wood" has never had a trip to the DL in his career, makes him a solid canidate. It is about time a class act guy like Mark get the national attention as being THE best pitcher for a season.

i love when the kool-aid makes you oblivious to the brilliant seasons being turned in by non-sox players. obviously Zack Greinke is the front runner right now, because he's been (SHOCKER) better than Mark by far.

I think that MB is probably one of the most underrated pitchers in all of baseball. He's been our number one guy for almost an entire decade which is just about unheard of anymore in the majors. He is incredibly consistent and durable pitching over 200 innings every season and generally giving the team a chance to win most every time he takes the mound. He doesn't have great stuff but gets by on guile, command, control and guts. This however doesn't tend to get you a Cy Young because he's never going to get 200k's or have a low 2's era. But i'll take him for what he is and let him continue to quietly be one of the best pitchers in the game.

An all-star berth would be nice recognition though, because he is having an awesome season so far.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ May 8, 2009 -> 02:09 AM)
I think that MB is probably one of the most underrated pitchers in all of baseball. He's been our number one guy for almost an entire decade which is just about unheard of anymore in the majors. He is incredibly consistent and durable pitching over 200 innings every season and generally giving the team a chance to win most every time he takes the mound. He doesn't have great stuff but gets by on guile, command, control and guts. This however doesn't tend to get you a Cy Young because he's never going to get 200k's or have a low 2's era. But i'll take him for what he is and let him continue to quietly be one of the best pitchers in the game.

An all-star berth would be nice recognition though, because he is having an awesome season so far.

Actually, Mark does have great stuff, just not great velocity.

Crowning anyone Cy Young this early, even Greinke, is silly.

QUOTE (wilmot825 @ May 7, 2009 -> 10:47 PM)
Oh I understand Greinke is a leader by far, I'm just saying is there a possibility Mark can do it this year

Yes. If Greinke steps in front of a bus. Other than that, no.

QUOTE (wilmot825 @ May 8, 2009 -> 03:47 AM)
Oh I understand Greinke is a leader by far, I'm just saying is there a possibility Mark can do it this year

I for one think you are right, but it is early and their are others doing really good. Mark stepped up on Thursday night and showed he is the ace of our staff and if he continues pitching well he would be considered for the award I am sure.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 8, 2009 -> 02:07 AM)
Poreda isn't even close to ready and luckily I believe the Sox know this.

He's coming off a rain shortened no-hitter, has a 1.85 ERA, and 28Ks in 27.1 IP. "Isn't even close" is being a bit tough on AP don't you think? He needs to work on the walks, but clearly, he's closer than you're giving him credit for.