Although it's early, Buehrle getting the Cy Young

wilmot825

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ May 8, 2009 -> 11:43 AM)
He's coming off a rain shortened no-hitter, has a 1.85 ERA, and 28Ks in 27.1 IP. "Isn't even close" is being a bit tough on AP don't you think? He needs to work on the walks, but clearly, he's closer than you're giving him credit for.

How many pitches did he throw in those 5 innings? That's not going to work at the next level, I don't see how he could be relied on to give this team innings when his command is as unpolished as it is. Really the earliest I'd like to see him in the bigs is September.

It is a long season, and you ain't seen nothing yet. I could see Mark winning a Cy Young. Eventually we will need to celebrate the good guys in baseball and when that time comes, Mark is at the front of the line. And it could be this season. That may be the one great thing that keeps fans interested in the Sox. Why any Sox fan would want to dismiss that in mid May is kind of strange.

Mark has been one of the most successful pitchers in baseball this decade. He's also got a low-effort, repeatable, low injury risk motion, he's baseball smart, and he doesn't rely on velocity. That all says he's got the potential to have a very long career. Pitching to age 40 and beyond is not at all out of the question.

So, if he's not really serious about leaving the game early, I think he's got a great chance of getting to age 40, winning 250 or more games, and getting into the outside boundaries of HOF consideration. If he can find a way to win 20 games at least once somewhere in there, and get a Cy Young in there somewhere... then I think he's better than fringe for HOF in that case.

We'll see what happens this season. Greinke WILL slow down, he's not keeping up a sub-1 ERA obviously, probably not even sub-2, and possibly not sub-3, so he is going to get hit around a bit at some point. Its all still in the air.

Even if he does not receive HoF support, no one will have had as much fun playing the game as Buehrle. For that alone, he has my admiration. The guys that make playing seem like a chore and a job, make me sad.

/lights fuse

I think by the time Buehrle retires, the baseball writers will be looking for the "good guys" in the sport and he'll have a better chance, perhaps better than he deserves. But I would rather go to the HoF and see Buerhle than Bonds, Manny, Clemens, Sosa, etc.

If the Hall is about the best in baseball, I'd give him strong consideration. For the same, albeit opposite reasons you wil not see Rose or Jackson, you should see guys like Buehrle.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ May 8, 2009 -> 11:43 AM)
He's coming off a rain shortened no-hitter, has a 1.85 ERA, and 28Ks in 27.1 IP. "Isn't even close" is being a bit tough on AP don't you think? He needs to work on the walks, but clearly, he's closer than you're giving him credit for.

Well for starters, Ozzie Guillen said he isn't ready, so that isn't exactly an odd opinion.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ May 8, 2009 -> 10:43 AM)
According to the Cy Predictor:

1 Zack Greinke, KC 68.0 (6-0)

2 Roy Halladay, Tor 50.1 (6-1)

3 Mark Buehrle, CWS 44.5 (5-0)

So there's a 162.6% chance that one of those three will win the Cy??

Edited by bighurt4life

It's not a percentage. It's a score derived from a formula--like passer rating or something like that.

Cy Young Predictor

In the The Neyer/James Guide To Pitchers -- co-authored by Bill James and ESPN.com’s Rob Neyer, and published this summer by Fireside -- James presents a method, based on past results, to predict Cy Young balloting. This page provides an in-season snapshot of the Cy Young "race," as figured by the following formula: Cy Young Points (CYP) = ((5*IP/9)-ER) + (SO/12) + (SV*2.5) + Shutouts + ((W*6)-(L*2)) + VB (see below) Victory Bonus (VB): A 12-point bonus awarded for leading your team to the division champsionship (pro-rated based on the current standings).

Buehrle should coach third base when he's not pitching. We only win when he's on the field and he would be no worse waving runners in than our coach in the rare opportunities we need to score a guy from second.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ May 8, 2009 -> 02:09 AM)
I think that MB is probably one of the most underrated pitchers in all of baseball. He's been our number one guy for almost an entire decade which is just about unheard of anymore in the majors. He is incredibly consistent and durable pitching over 200 innings every season and generally giving the team a chance to win most every time he takes the mound. He doesn't have great stuff but gets by on guile, command, control and guts. This however doesn't tend to get you a Cy Young because he's never going to get 200k's or have a low 2's era. But i'll take him for what he is and let him continue to quietly be one of the best pitchers in the game.

An all-star berth would be nice recognition though, because he is having an awesome season so far.

Mark Buehrle is not an ace, he just gets the same results as an ace.

Even if he does not receive HoF support, no one will have had as much fun playing the game as Buerhle. For that alone, he has my admiration. The guys that make playing seem like a chore and a job, make me sad.

/lights fuse

I think by the time Buerhle retires, the baseball writers will be looking for the "good guys" in the sport and he'll have a better chance, perhaps better than he deserves. But I would rather go to the HoF and see Buerhle than Bonds, Manny, Clemens, Sosa, etc.

If the Hall is about the best in baseball, I'd give him strong consideration. For the same, albeit opposite reasons you wil not see Rose or Jackson, you should see guys like Buerhle.

I just hope if he gets in his last name is spelled correctly on his plaque.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 10, 2009 -> 07:27 PM)
You're not the only one. It's been going on for a decade.

I see "Michael Jordon" every now and then too. :chimp :

I usually do not make that error. My spell checker should have caught it. And isn't the usual mistake Burhle?