Jim Thome

Dick Allen

Chicago Tribune, pretty interesting, he thinks he's striking out too much, but this article goes total against the "lift and pull" that the White Sox most definitely employ according to this board, so it must be BS:

By Mark Gonzales

Several e-mailers wondered about Jim Thome's high strikeout total, and Thome was more expansive on the subject than he was about elaborating on former teammate Manny Ramirez.

"Unfortunately, a little too much," Thome said before going 0-for-3 with a walk but not striking out in the Sox's 6-0 win over Detroit. "I know we’ve been working and trying to make adjustments in the cage here. If anything, you like to put the ball in play because you can actually get easy RBIs that way. Unfortuantley I haven’t done that.

"We have to continue to work and continue to grind in the cage and make the adjustments that hopefully I’ve done in the past."

Thome agreed that concentrating on hitting the ball up the middle and to left helped him break out of a slump last year.

"I think when I was hitting the ball the other way, I think things were coming together," Thome said. "Obviously, I’m staying on the ball and again, as I said, it just hasn’t happened. If you work hard and continue to put work in and made adjustments, hopefully here it will turn around.

"You can’t necessarily say it was the weather because it’s getting warmer. Ultimately you have to go out and get it done and just has not happened. We need to make that adjustment and get it done."

Thome admits he feels more comfortable facing left-handers but that he has been sitting against most left-handers this season.

"Well, I feel better against left-handers, I do. I think, to be honest, (hitting coach) Greg Walker and I have had this discussion. Against right-handers, I think some times I try to do too much and by doing that, I’ve pulled off the ball a little bit. I need to get back to hitting the ball through the middle of the field."

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ May 8, 2009 -> 11:25 AM)
nice guy, maybe has a year left, but i hope hes not back next year. not even for 1mil

Is this like a forum auto-gen post? Every single mention of Thome and this is guaranteed to be mentioned at least 47 times.

A couple of times in his Sox career, Thome has been thought to be done, only to get hot and make his year's numbers solid.

If he were to come back very cheap, it would be low risk production per dollar, a good amt of it perhaps.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ May 8, 2009 -> 12:08 PM)
Is this like a forum auto-gen post? Every single mention of Thome and this is guaranteed to be mentioned at least 47 times.

i dunno..whenever i hear him mentioned thats what pops up in my mind. :huh

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ May 8, 2009 -> 06:08 PM)

That is an excellent point and I am glad you brought it up. We have some strange opinions sometimes about our veteran players. Next one is Konerko

If anything, you like to put the ball in play because you can actually get easy RBIs that way. Unfortuantley I haven’t done that.

He should have put the ball in play the other night with the man on third against KC.

I don't understand why a guy as powerful as Jimmy doens't hit to all fields enough that teams wouldn't put that shift on.

A lot of people say 1/3 of his homers go to left, blah blah.

Then why is there a shift if he's so effective going to all fields?

Edited by greg775

Wait, are we forgetting that he does absolutely nothing?

I can hear it alrerady..."But his OBP is always around .400 wha wha wha". He is dead wait on the basepaths. Still takes 3 consecutive hits to get him in. "But his OBP is .400 wha wha wha wha, that is such a great OBP wha wha wha, all hail King Jimmy's high OBP" Shut up.

So a guy who gets 1 hit every week and a couple walks, along with 9000 strikeouts in that same week is worth 5 mil+?? Jim "I kill scoring opportunities like it's my one and only profession" Thome is a great man, but he shouldn't back up Quentin, who would really benefit from someone who could rake behind him.

Bat Thome way lower, he isn't feared by anybody any more. Great guy, but I like great Sox teams even more.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 8, 2009 -> 02:12 PM)
That is an excellent point and I am glad you brought it up. We have some strange opinions sometimes about our veteran players. Next one is Konerko

Yep, doesn't matter what the topic is about, it will still come up.

"Thome saves 3 babies from burning building"

First Reply - Thome's a great guy man, I still can't wait for him to leave next year though he's washed up.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 8, 2009 -> 03:40 PM)

I can hear it alrerady..."But his OBP is always around .400 wha wha wha". He is dead wait on the basepaths. Still takes 3 consecutive hits to get him in. "But his OBP is .400 wha wha wha wha, that is such a great OBP wha wha wha, all hail King Jimmy's high OBP" Shut up.

So a guy who gets 1 hit every week and a couple walks, along with 9000 strikeouts in that same week is worth 5 mil+?? Jim "I kill scoring opportunities like it's my one and only profession" Thome is a great man, but he shouldn't back up Quentin, who would really benefit from someone who could rake behind him.

Bat Thome way lower, he isn't feared by anybody any more. Great guy, but I like great Sox teams even more.

I thought we'd be done with posts like this.

Thome's having the kind of year Paulie had last year.

He needs to get his head out of his ass. He's too good for this. It's got to be getting embarrassing for a guy like Big Jim to suck this badly.

Carlos Quentin? What's wrong with the big bopper? He is sucking madly.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 8, 2009 -> 03:40 PM)

His April and May last year were very similar to this one. He ended up scoring 93 runs in 149 games--which is more than a lot of teams got out of their #4 hitter for all 162 games.

Edited by JorgeFabregas

Thome has been a major dissapointment since joining the sox, with exception of his homerun vs the twins. I think this will be his last year, he is just no where near the caliber of player he used to be. Same problem as griffey, the bat speed just aint there anymore. I would like to see JD resigned and put in as our new DH. I am of the belief that your teams best athletes should be all your outfielders, ala the twins or rays.

QUOTE (goAlexei!! @ May 11, 2009 -> 07:01 PM)
Thome has been a major dissapointment since joining the sox, with exception of his homerun vs the twins. I think this will be his last year, he is just no where near the caliber of player he used to be. Same problem as griffey, the bat speed just aint there anymore. I would like to see JD resigned and put in as our new DH. I am of the belief that your teams best athletes should be all your outfielders, ala the twins or rays.

Ummm, no.