Rangers @ Sox - 5/8 Game Thread

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 8, 2009 -> 05:30 PM)
Ugh, stop finding ways to put Lillibridge in the freaking lineup. Alexei to CF makes too much sense for it to actually happen.

I'm sensing another first career home run tonight.

And by that I mean one walk, two groundouts and one or two K.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 8, 2009 -> 05:32 PM)
I'm sensing another first career home run tonight.

And by that I mean one walk, two groundouts and one or two K.

Brent homered off Joe Thatcher in his 11th career game. Still waiting on his first career CS, GDP and SF.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 8, 2009 -> 05:37 PM)
Brent homered off Joe Thatcher in his 11th career game. Still waiting on his first career CS, GDP and SF.

Why must you always bring facts to the argument?

It's fine to bench Ramirez, but why reward Lillibridge by playing him so much when he's obviously not ready for big league pitching, nor has he played the position enough recently to be at least an "average" ML CFer.

Ramirez in a slump is still 10X more dangerous as a hitter than Lillibridge, and probably just as good or even better defensively.

Pods against LHP is still a .229 hitter with a 600+ OPS hitter...Lillibridge isn't even close to that, and he hasn't shown much ability to steal bases, either.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ May 8, 2009 -> 03:30 PM)
Ugh, stop finding ways to put Lillibridge in the freaking lineup. Alexei to CF makes too much sense for it to actually happen.

You might see Alexei in CF, but I think we'll probably see Nix in CF a bit too (short-term) as the Sox realize how good his bat might be. Defensively he's legit too. He might be a .280-.300 hitter with 20 HR power from an up the middle position (SS/2B/CF). Everyone might ask me, well tahn how did the Sox pick him up so easily, and I'd say that his career was languishing and he happened to make an adjustment just prior to joining the Sox last season and since than his career looks back to when he was one of the better infield prospects in baseball.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 8, 2009 -> 03:50 PM)
You might see Alexei in CF, but I think we'll probably see Nix in CF shortly as the Sox realize how good his bat might be. Defensively he's legit too. He might be a .280-.300 hitter with 20 HR power from an up the middle position (SS/2B/CF). Everyone might ask me, well tahn how did the Sox pick him up so easily, and I'd say that his career was languishing and he happened to make an adjustment just prior to joining the Sox last season and since than his career looks back to when he was one of the better infield prospects in baseball.

This makes no sense...he looks defensively very, very legit at 2b/SS. Why in the world would we put him in CF?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 8, 2009 -> 11:52 PM)
This makes no sense...he looks defensively very, very legit at 2b/SS. Why in the world would we put him in CF?

Especially with how Alexei was mediocre at best at SS.

.261 .332 .415 747 OPS

Those are his CAREER minor league averages over 8 seasons. Throw in 10-15 stolen bases, that's a bottom 3rd major league CFer in terms of numbers.

Now if Brian Anderson could hit .260 with a 330 OBP, that would be great, but Nix has no experience in CF, and just because he made a "good" play in RF doesn't mean he has the ability to just start playing CF with the White Sox.

If they're really sold on Getz/Beckham/Ramirez up the middle, then fine, but it's just as logical to think that Josh Fields might need a replacement. Of course, Nix at 3B is going to be below average offensively, and he won't give you the stolen base totals that Figgins does, nor will he give you a high OBP.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 8, 2009 -> 03:56 PM)
.261 .332 .415 747 OPS

Those are his CAREER minor league averages over 8 seasons. Throw in 10-15 stolen bases, that's a bottom 3rd major league CFer in terms of numbers.

Now if Brian Anderson could hit .260 with a 330 OBP, that would be great, but Nix has no experience in CF, and just because he made a "good" play in RF doesn't mean he has the ability to just start playing CF with the White Sox.

If they're really sold on Getz/Beckham/Ramirez up the middle, then fine, but it's just as logical to think that Josh Fields might need a replacement. Of course, Nix at 3B is going to be below average offensively, and he won't give you the stolen base totals that Figgins does, nor will he give you a high OBP.

I didn't say thats what I would do, but I would definately be trying to get him at bats. I think they should see if he can play SS and than move Ramirez to CF. However, the Sox think Ramirez can be a special defensive shortstop and if thats the case than its Nix that would have to move. And Nix offensive upside might be a whole lot better than Anderson. I'm also not at all saying that he'd be as good defensively as Anderson, but he might be solid. He'd of course have to hit very well to stay, but right now, with the what teh Sox are currently running out in CF, I would consider it.

Looking at his stats in the minors, I see what Caulfield is saying...his numbers don't stand out at any level until 2007-2008 when he started repeating AAA. He didn't seem particularly young for any level, didn't skip any, etc.

So what exactly was it that sold people on him? Give you an example:

Prospect Rankings*

2002 - #10 ranked for COL

2003 - #6 ranked for COL

2004 - #94 ranked MLB

2004 - #5 ranked for COL

2005 - #9 ranked for COL

*According to Baseball America

In 2004 he hit .213 in his first stint at AA and he was still ranked the next year as the Rockies #9 prospect. He had a good year in High A ball in 2003, had an .826 OPS, but it seems like a lot of people can do that and don't get ranked in BA's top 100. What was it that kept him moving upwards? Someone has to have liked something about Nix.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 8, 2009 -> 04:01 PM)
Looking at his stats in the minors, I see what Caulfield is saying...his numbers don't stand out at any level until 2007-2008 when he started repeating AAA. He didn't seem particularly young for any level, didn't skip any, etc.

So what exactly was it that sold people on him? Give you an example:

In 2004 he hit .213 in his first stint at AA and he was still ranked the next year as the Rockies #9 prospect. He had a good year in High A ball in 2003, had an .826 OPS, but it seems like a lot of people can do that and don't get ranked in BA's top 100. What was it that kept him moving upwards? Someone has to have liked something about Nix.

The raw tools.

Bottom line, Nix only really profiles as an offensive "plus" at 2B or SS long-term, but what to do with CF has just as many possible "mehhhhh" options as the future Cy Youngs lining up to replace Jose if he implodes tonight...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 8, 2009 -> 06:03 PM)
The raw tools.

I also cannot see why people want to see more of Nix in the lineup.

Are the raw tools any better than Lillibridge? At least Lillibridge had some success in the minors.

Nix got cut by the Rockies. If you can't hit there you are in trouble.

I'm not necessarily advocating for Lillibridge but I don't see Nix as that much better of an option.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 8, 2009 -> 06:52 PM)

Yep, every amateur scouting report had Nix being a prodigy with the glove. You DO NOT put him in center. Not with Alexei or BA on the team.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 9, 2009 -> 12:15 AM)
I also cannot see why people want to see more of Nix in the lineup.

Are the raw tools any better than Lillibridge? At least Lillibridge had some success in the minors.

Nix got cut by the Rockies. If you can't hit there you are in trouble.

I'm not necessarily advocating for Lillibridge but I don't see Nix as that much better of an option.

Nix looks like a 10 year MLB veteran compared to Lillibridge. Lillibridge is completely overmatched at the plate, and besides his speed, has no tools to really develop. I agree with you though, the Nix love will probably last another week at the most. Then, we'll hear calls again for Alexei in CF and Beckham at SS.