ETA: YOUTH MOVEMENT?

JDsDirtySox

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JDsDirtySox @ May 8, 2009 -> 09:43 PM)
At what point do pull the plug on this team and start a youth movement.

June 1st?

July 1st?

Please don't wait until 2010.

Its not time yet. Even if you gave up on the season today, which would be silly we have a hard time with large money on the contracts for the year in a bad economy. So you have to eat money, and thats not the sox MO. Then you have the secondary issue of starting arbitration clocks early. Let the kids get more experience at AA, then if this thing is a dog give them a taste this year.

People might want Dye or Konerko, but there is still a lot of money left on the table comparible to what the current value is.

Edited by southsideirish71

July 1st. This team doesn't seem competitive in far too many games. Put Richard in the starting rotation, play Alexei at either SS or CF, and see what they have. Also, when Anderson is healthy, you absolutely have to give him the chance to prove what he can do. If he reverts back to hitting .235 with terrible ABs, you get rid of him this offseason. Please, please no 300 ABs for Pods this year.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 8, 2009 -> 07:45 PM)
It should have been done 2 years ago. Start to clean house KW. There are tons of teams who could use a Jermaine Dye or a Paul Konerko right now.

Didn't enjoy the division title last year?

The biggest problem about begging for a youth movement right now is that the 4 young guys who looked so great last year (Alexei, CQ, Danks, Floyd) all are struggling mightily right now. If 2 or more of those guys finish this season with huge doubts going into next year, then the rebuilding process will be 10x harder.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 8, 2009 -> 09:51 PM)

^^^^^^^^^^^

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Plus... we don't have anybody in AAA except a couple of potential relievers and a couple of possible back-up position players.

Ride this year out.

Give the guys in AA a chance to develop before throwing them to the wolves.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 9, 2009 -> 12:51 AM)

What the hell does that have to do with anything? Yes, the stretch run was awesome, but what's the point if you're going to get clobbered in the playoffs? The point is to put your team in the best position to win the World Series. Are you telling me that you were satisfied with the way the team was put together last year and this year? Give me a f***ing break Balta.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 9, 2009 -> 01:01 AM)
We looked great last night, then this?

Oz needs to implode again. Was Harrison that good? Even AJP who has been hot, didn't get a hit.

Is it possible this guy simply deserves credit?

Harrison did nothing to shut this team down. He threw mostly fastballs and we just couldn't hit him. We have a horrible approach at the plate. Unless its a hanging breaking ball or a fastball down the pipe, we can't hit s***. Even then we don't get hits. Ask Alexei.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 8, 2009 -> 09:47 PM)
July 1st. This team doesn't seem competitive in far too many games. Put Richard in the starting rotation, play Alexei at either SS or CF, and see what they have. Also, when Anderson is healthy, you absolutely have to give him the chance to prove what he can do. If he reverts back to hitting .235 with terrible ABs, you get rid of him this offseason. Please, please no 300 ABs for Pods this year.

Yikes!

How about we let the month of May play out first, and then in the mean time we can go out and get somebody who deserves a shot a lot more than Clayton Richard does. If starters were only supposed to last 3IP then Richard might be an All-Star against LH-heavy teams, but since the expectations are beyond that, PLEASE no Richard.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 9, 2009 -> 04:06 AM)
Yikes!

How about we let the month of May play out first, and then in the mean time we can go out and get somebody who deserves a shot a lot more than Clayton Richard does. If starters were only supposed to last 3IP then Richard might be an All-Star against LH-heavy teams, but since the expectations are beyond that, PLEASE no Richard.

Well, he was supposed to be in the starting rotation this year if Contreras/Colon wasn't working. It can't hurt to give him a shot, as we're going to need to find a few starting pitchers for next season.

Do we have any journeymen in AAA who can actually pitch 6-7 innings and give up 3 runs max?

If not, have Paul Byrd pay the Sox for the opportunity to pitch as well as Pedro.

In a new concept, they can pay the Sox a couple thousand for each tryout start.

DJ Carrasco might be the most logical person to start, but they should PROBABLY first go to Richard or Broadway, because it only makes sense to try pitchers who theoretically could be here the next 2-3 years.

We need to replace Jose and probably Colon after this season, so at least two starters are needed.

Torres, Van Benschoten, Egbert, Marquez (right now, for sure) and Whisler just don't profile as big league pitchers, but they simply won't bring up Poreda and Beckham and start their arbitration clocks in what could be a lost season.

My choice for one spot start would be Omogrosso (he pitched last night for BIRM) and then working long-term to build up the arm strength of Richard and/or Broadway to give one or the other 4-5 consecutive starts to show what they can do.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 8, 2009 -> 10:08 PM)
Well, he was supposed to be in the starting rotation this year if Contreras/Colon wasn't working. It can't hurt to give him a shot, as we're going to need to find a few starting pitchers for next season.

I think most of that was lip service though. There's no way Kenny is going to sign an old Bartolo Colon coming off an injury to block a talented young SP prospect that he feels is ready. He probably got Colon to back up Contreras or something and hoped that he wouldn't have to stick with Marquez and CR/AP for very long if it came to it. Now that Count has blown up, I can see Kenny going to Richard, but I think everyone knows he's not the answer at all as a SP. He's not going to just suddenly develop the repertoire to pitch 5+ innings against Major League hitters over the span of a few starts, and I thought the plan was to put him in the pen, use him sparingly, and have him work on his overall game there.

What I'd do is call up the Braves and see what Johnny Morton costs. He's not a world beater, but he's a young guy who is out of the Braves' plans and is posting solid peripherals in Triple A. I'd rather see the Sox target a guy like that and give up a middle of the road prospect or two than run Richard out there, because IMO doing that is basically throwing away games for the Sox as well as risking ruining Richard's confidence. Either do that, or try out another FA like Byrd on an incentive-laden deal and hope to catch not lightning in a bottle, but mediocrity in a bottle.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 8, 2009 -> 10:19 PM)
DJ Carrasco might be the most logical person to start, but they should PROBABLY first go to Richard or Broadway, because it only makes sense to try pitchers who theoretically could be here the next 2-3 years.

We need to replace Jose and probably Colon after this season, so at least two starters are needed.

Torres, Van Benschoten, Egbert, Marquez (right now, for sure) and Whisler just don't profile as big league pitchers, but they simply won't bring up Poreda and Beckham and start their arbitration clocks in what could be a lost season.

My choice for one spot start would be Omogrosso (he pitched last night for BIRM) and then working long-term to build up the arm strength of Richard and/or Broadway to give one or the other 4-5 consecutive starts to show what they can do.

Omogrosso would probably be a better choice to replace Broadway in the bullpen IMO. At least then maybe we'll come up with a guy who can pitch one useful inning here and there instead of a guy we only want to go to if the game is out of hand and we want to save the important members of our staff.

I don't like the idea BTW of replacing Contreras with something you know that for the most part isn't going to be any better. I'd rather keep running him out there with the hope he changes things up if we're not going to go outside the organization for either a young guy who profiles as a starter or a healthy veteran with a track record.

Edit: I would probably agree with you on Carrasco being the best choice, but if possible I'd rather leave him in his current role. The LR/inning saver type is a very important role in a bullpen when you can find a guy who can keep you in a ballgame. We may have found someone in Carrasco so I'd like to keep him there, especially for the period when the weather really starts warming up and our sluggers can win some 7-6, 8-7, 10-8 type of games for us.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 9, 2009 -> 03:28 AM)
I don't like the idea BTW of replacing Contreras with something you know that for the most part isn't going to be any better. I'd rather keep running him out there with the hope he changes things up if we're not going to go outside the organization for either a young guy who profiles as a starter or a healthy veteran with a track record.

Well, it's happened

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 8, 2009 -> 10:28 PM)
Omogrosso would probably be a better choice to replace Broadway in the bullpen IMO. At least then maybe we'll come up with a guy who can pitch one useful inning here and there instead of a guy we only want to go to if the game is out of hand and we want to save the important members of our staff.

Whether it's Charlotte or the bullpen, he has to get a feel for that forkball again. He can't pitch at 91-93 like he used to pitch at 94-97. Not only that, but, even more demoralizing, any baserunner with average speed who reaches first base is almost automatically in scoring position at some point.

Ozzie didn't seem too confident going to the bullpen would help much, but it seems they prefer he stay with Cooper and maybe Alexei, too.

It doesn't seem like any team would be willing to give up a really legit "young/er" pitching prospect at this point in the season.

Richard might not make it, but he's been throwing 92-96 recently (if you believe the guns), and we've seen the likes of Bergesen and Harrison have success (maybe they would succeed only against the Sox!) with the same stuff that Richard has.

I would probably agree with you on Carrasco being the best choice, but if possible I'd rather leave him in his current role.

OM God! Carrasco. Please say no.

I know nothing about our minor league system except for Beckham/Poreda big-name types, but it is pretty sad if we are trotting pitchers out there in AAA and AA who have no chance to pitch a big league game.

Who are these bodies and how bad must they be that they can't be a possible No. 5 starter in the bigs?