ETA: YOUTH MOVEMENT?

JDsDirtySox

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 10, 2009 -> 12:29 AM)
I prefer trading guys in the offseason if you are going to make trades.

We'll get robbed for prospects during the season.

And prospects ain't proven anything yet.

Well Dotel/Dye/Thome are all impending f/a's so the only option would be to trade them sometime this season if we fall out of the division race.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 9, 2009 -> 08:21 AM)
It's to early to panic. Plus as soon as this type of thing gets posted we start to hear about trading our stars who may actually still be performing very well. Tirfed old stuff. Calm down is my sugestion.

+1

Maybe if we're still sucking it up a month down the road we can look into moving a couple of older players, but we're in no rush here to tear the team apart. We're actually in a very good position of having a team that's good enough to compete right now and also compete down the road with the young guys we have coming up.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 9, 2009 -> 11:23 PM)
I don't know what you mean by that. Cruz is 3 years younger at 30 than Dotel is, and he has a much more favorable contract, but it's really no contest who has been the better pitcher over his career, and that is Dotel.

Cruz: 31-31, 3.95 ERA, 309 G, 528.1 IP, 453 H, 232 ER, 54 HR, 273 BB, 545 K, 14 WP, 7-7 H/9, 0.9 HR/9, 4.7 BB/9, 9.3 K/9, 1.37 WHIP

Dotel: 44-36, 3.71 ERA, 511 G, 717.1 IP, 569 H, 296 ER, 92 HR, 319 BB, 877 K, 32 WP, 7.1 H/9, 1.2 HR/9, 4.0 BB/9, 11.0 K/9, 1.24 WHIP

And Dotel missed a bunch of time from 2005-2007 after recovering from surgery. If he's pitching those years, then Dotel completely blows Cruz out of the water. Dotel BTW has only spent parts of 2 seasons in the minor leagues after making his MLB debut, and that was during his recovery. OTOH, 2004 and 2009 (so far) are the only years where Cruz hasn't at least gone to the minors in a rehab stint.

I don't get the lack of overall respect for Octavio around here. Yes he has his moments, but the guy is about as good as they come as far as setup men go. I'm a big Juan Cruz fan, but to say Octavio isn't in Cruz's category (like he's worthy of having his own category or something) is absurd. This is Dotel's last year here in all likelihood, and trust me, we're all going to miss him once he's gone and we're going to some minor leaguer in the 7th and 8th innings when Linebrink and Thornton can't pitch.

It's not as much about their past histories as it is about who will perform the best this year...Octavio Dotel will continue to have his disastrous outings like he did against the Royals this week.

Overall, Cruz is more valuable because he pitches the 8th (rather than the 7th) and he's more likely be to be consistent this season.

Octavio really, really struggled when they had to change roles around with Linebrink's injury last year. I agree, he's looked very good (especially his offspeed stuff) so far this year, and has only had one major hiccup. He's definitely pitched better than Thornton in crucial situations and better than Linebrink as well.

With all that said, I would rather have Cruz than either Dotel or Linebrink (because of his contract and also age/wear and tear).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 9, 2009 -> 08:49 AM)
Some of the White Sox farmhands are going to be dissappointments, but at least they have a lot more that have a shot at being successful now. Rookies generally don't lead teams to championships so there will be some growing pains. I just wonder what slicing $40 million more off the payroll will do to the season ticket base, especially if this year is a tough one, and they don't have playoff ticket money in hand in advance. We'll probably find out next year. (And if that's the plan, watch for the White Sox to hold the line on ticket prices and state how they are doing it for their fans in a rough economy.)

I agree

yeah the pitching hasn't been great, but they're also getting garbage run support. you see Sox down 0-3, 0-4, 1-5 and it's essentially an assumed loss. I was at the Angels game today, watching 5-1 on the board, and thinking of all the ways they could come back with 5 more at bats, but knowing that they've been essentially a group of heartless fold of the tenters once they go down, I wasn't at all suprised to see 6-1, 7-1, with offense shutting down early. They either win by 8 or quit. I wouldn't want to pitch the Sox if I was any one of the guys in that rotation, Danks gave up 1 run through six and didn't get the win!!!

no fire....and at some point, season after season you hv to look to the management. this constant stand there like a lump while strike one goes right down the pipe makes me sick to watch, they end up in an 0-2 hole WAYYY too often and it makes it about impossible to get the edge on pitchers when most guys get behind in the count....and hey!! turns out there's this thing called the "opposite field" where a batter can sit back on a curve ball away and drive it??

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 8, 2009 -> 10:00 PM)
What the hell does that have to do with anything? Yes, the stretch run was awesome, but what's the point if you're going to get clobbered in the playoffs? The point is to put your team in the best position to win the World Series. Are you telling me that you were satisfied with the way the team was put together last year and this year? Give me a f***ing break Balta.

The point of making the postseason is that you have a chance to get hot and win the World Series. I'll take that division title and stick it in my back pocket, regardless of how I felt about rebuilding in 2007 (I was for it). I don't think this team is done yet - though I'm not getting the same feeling I did last year - and so you should try and run some type of competitive product out there atleast until July 1st. If the Sox are many, many games out, then you look into some type of rebuilding/retooling. Not until then.

The point of making the postseason is that you have a chance to get hot and win the World Series.

That is true. Last year's title was fun. We did suck in the playoffs, but we didn't have CQ either and it was his year.

Edited by greg775