I never thought I'd say this....

fathom

Put Scott Podsednik in the leadoff position tomorrow. Put him 1st, AJP 2nd, and move Fields to the 7th/8th spot in the lineup with Getz batting 9th. If this team doesn't get it going soon, we might get too far out of first place and then everyone will call for the team to be broken up.

Lillibridge actually got one hit so they probably see that as progress and will keep playing him. Yikes.

Your suggestion is as good as any.

Might as well go down fighting with Pods and AJ at 1 and 2.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 9, 2009 -> 04:10 AM)
How about we do this when Getz stops hitting and Podsednik starts?

I like Getz, but even he is struggling now. He's 3 for his last 20. You could also put him in the 2nd spot, but AJP seems like a perfect fit for that right now. As we were talking about in chat, the 2nd hitter usually gets the most fastballs. The problem with that is we have our worst fastball hitter in the 2nd spot.

Getz SHOULD be a 2nd, 8th or 9th place hitter.

It is what it is.

The only fix for now would be to put Nix at 3B and let Alexei try to get hot again. You could also put Alexei in CF, but Josh Fields is looking horrible, striking out 30-35% of the time, which is fine if he had 7-10 homers, but he's getting blown away consistently by 92-94 MPH fastballs right across the heart of the plate. Solution 3 would be to but Betemit at 3B and Ramirez in CF instead of Lillibridge, who needs to go Charlotte with Contreras. (Yes, Brent had one of the few hits tonight, but he's still not a major league hitter or threat to the opposition.)

Maybe Thome should sit (like Alexei) and you should give Betemit his AB's at DH. Thome is now below the Mendoza line and looking like a shadow of his former self.

Quentin has had more bad at-bats pulling off everything and popping up than anyone the last two weeks.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 8, 2009 -> 10:12 PM)
I like Getz, but even he is struggling now. He's 3 for his last 20. You could also put him in the 2nd spot, but AJP seems like a perfect fit for that right now. As we were talking about in chat, the 2nd hitter usually gets the most fastballs. The problem with that is we have our worst fastball hitter in the 2nd spot.

They have nothing to lose trying to jump-start Ramirez by putting him at this spot.

Move Nix over to 3B for Fields if he continues to struggle and Ozzie decides to "unbench" Ramirez. I mean, while you're at it, bench Thome (for Betemit) and don't bother to play Lillibridge any more than absolutely necessary.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 8, 2009 -> 11:16 PM)
Getz is a rookie, and should be hitting lower down the order.

In a roundabout way...that's the same reason Fields has no business hitting 2nd. Not saying he's a rook...but he's a 7-8 guy plain and simple.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 9, 2009 -> 12:16 AM)
If they're going to play Pods, might as well put him in the leadoff spot.

Getz is a rookie, and should be hitting lower down the order.

Makes perfect sense.

This makes zero sense.

Batting Pods first with Getz 2nd, or Getz 1st, with Pods 9th, those are the two best options.

If it was 2005/06, I would agree Pods should clearly hit leadoff, but we're living in the past with Scotty. He has contributed offensively so far, but it won't hold up over a month or season.

Getz is doing the best job he can at the position, and far better than Cabrera or Swisher, veteran ML hitters, did there.

The most logical thing to do is to put Alexei 2nd to try to get him a steadier diet of fastballs and hope to catch lightning in a bottle like May/June of last year with him when Uribe went down to injury.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 9, 2009 -> 04:07 AM)
Put Scott Podsednik in the leadoff position tomorrow. Put him 1st, AJP 2nd, and move Fields to the 7th/8th spot in the lineup with Getz batting 9th. If this team doesn't get it going soon, we might get too far out of first place and then everyone will call for the team to be broken up.

It is early yet. However, being shut out 5 times already is pretty sad. AJP might bristle and say it's not the offesnes fault and he could be right. It is the whole teams fault. I have watched a number of games on the tube this season and have seen a lot of bad ball being played by the hitters, the defense and the pitchers. Too often it's always in the same game. I believe we have good players the question is how to get them hitting/performing on all cylinders? That comes down to each individual addressing what he is or isn't doing and then doing something to correct his mistakes. That sounds pretty simple and I know it isn't at the major league level, but something good put these guys at that level and they need to figure it out again. Line up changes might help, but the guys you move around have to be performing. We won behind Buerhle but remember that was 5 runs in the 1st inning followed by one run in 17. Unacceptable

Maybe we should trade for Laynce Nix, another once highly touted prospect who fizzled out. He's actually doing pretty good for Cincinnati right now.

I think he'd be a better option than both Pods and Wise, and he'd give us a dominate brother combo on the bench with Jayson.

We're fine with the Danks brothers.

Ryan Freel would have made as much sense as Nix, as he could have taken Lillibridge's spot.

No matter how I feel about Anderson and Fields, they both deserve the chance to determine their fate this season by their play on the field and sitting on the bench...and obviously Ramirez will be back out on that field as well.

If they keep playing Thome, Fields and Lillibridge, they shouldn't sit Alexei as if he's the ONLY reason the team is struggling...it's as illogical as making BA the scapegoat for the team's pitching struggles in 2006.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 9, 2009 -> 04:42 PM)
He's been good on the bases, as he's only been caught stealing once.

IIRC that was a botched hit and run attempt(i think by lillibridge). So he was hung out to dry