Contreras Out of the Rotation

ThunderBolt

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 8, 2009 -> 11:19 PM)
I was sitting behind the White Sox dugout tonight, and I know Contreras was bad and has been bad, but some of the classless people around there are way out of line with what they are yelling at him. The guy is perhaps the biggest reason there is a trophy at that park. He also is a guy that wasn't supposed to pitch until August, if ever again. Remove him from the rotation, but the Count will rise again, and all these "fans" will be singing another tune. I understand the whole, "I bought a ticket, I have a right to be an asshole" talk, the funny thing is most of the people who pop off didn't buy their own ticket, but saying disgusting things like what was being thrown at Jose shouldn't be said to anybody higher than Drew Peterson.

God bless you, Dick. You took the words right out of my mouth (or rather right off of my keyboard).

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

I was sitting behind the White Sox dugout tonight, and I know Contreras was bad and has been bad, but some of the classless people around there are way out of line with what they are yelling at him. The guy is perhaps the biggest reason there is a trophy at that park. He also is a guy that wasn't supposed to pitch until August, if ever again. Remove him from the rotation, but the Count will rise again, and all these "fans" will be singing another tune. I understand the whole, "I bought a ticket, I have a right to be an asshole" talk, the funny thing is most of the people who pop off didn't buy their own ticket, but saying disgusting things like what was being thrown at Jose shouldn't be said to anybody higher than Drew Peterson.

:notworthy I agree wholeheartedly. I was cringing listening to that. It felt like we were Cub fans.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 9, 2009 -> 04:19 AM)

Good post. I completely agree. Real Sox fans have class and support their team and the individual players. I think that some of those characters would even had booed the Big Hurt

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 9, 2009 -> 12:58 PM)
Also, remember, if we do try and pursue Byrd or Pedro, chances are they aren't ready yet.

I would much rather take our chances with Richard or Poreda over some more oldies. Broadway is not a major league starter.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 9, 2009 -> 01:45 PM)
Richard is a reliever. He doesnt have the stuff to get through a lineup more than twice. I would rather see us sign someone like Pedro, or bring up someone who is actually performing well as a starter in the minors.

It makes sense but costs money, therefore it is not even a consideration.

The same types of things get said about players here too. It is embarrassing in any case.

The goal of replacing Contreras should be seeking the best alternative within our organization. As of now, I'd say that's Poreda. And please, can we avoid the "OH, BUT IF HE DOES BAD HIS CONFIDENCE WILL GO DOWN!" line. No, if he is promoted, does poorly, then goes back to the minors and continues pitching poorly (with no injury concerns) then he's just a pussy. And I'll be glad we figured it out now rather then at some point in a future season. He's playing a child's game, afterall. This isn't life or death.

Really, let's just think about this. How difficult is it to perfect a non specialty (knuckleball) pitch? You grip the ball a certain way, throw really hard, and guess what, the ball moves. It's not a difficult concept, yet if he hasn't perfected it by now there's a reason. Two years, one full season within our system, should be enough time. His throwing motion probably limits the possibility for him to consistently throw a breaking ball/slider/offspeed pitch for strikes. If he alters the motion, then his velocity probably plummets. He is what he is, and it wont all of the sudden come to him. However, even with these issues it's still a worthwhile risk to take.

Just give him the opportunity. Stop worrying about arbitration time or whether he's ready. Past pitchers promoted from AA such as Day and Munoz didn't work because they were terrible. All the seasoning in the minors wasn't going to change that. He'll probably be up here next season in some capacity anyways. Does anyone believe he'll learn a lot from this point until their season concludes? Everyone here knows Richard or Carrasco aren't long term options. We're just going to end up losing 4-5 games going with those guys before trying Poreda. Why waste any time? Just go to Poreda now and quit f***ing around.

Edited by Flash Tizzle