Rangers vs. Palehose Game Thread 5/9/09 - 6:05pm CDT - WGN

Brian

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 9, 2009 -> 08:19 PM)
I highly doubt Flowers ever hits over 25 homers in a season.

Really? I thought I remember hearing from JPN that his power is ridiculous.

Josh Fields almost hit 25 in 60-70% of a season, Tyler will easily do it with 81 games in USCF.

Scary that we only have 28,000 fans for a mid-May fireworks game against one of the most exciting offenses in baseball...albeit without Young and Josh Hamilton.

Flowers has power to all fields just like Quentin, but he's not so aggressive...he had 98 walks last year. Very patient hitter.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 10, 2009 -> 01:22 AM)
Really? I thought I remember hearing from JPN that his power is ridiculous.

He does have huge power, but you don't see too many catchers in the non-PEDs era hitting over 25 homers.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 9, 2009 -> 08:24 PM)
He does have huge power, but you don't see too many catchers in the non-PEDs era hitting over 25 homers.

He isnt really a catcher, yet. Right now he wont make it as a catcher in the bigs, he needs to improve ALOT for that to happen, so youre looking at a 1B or DH, and in my mind he has plenty of power to hit 25 or more.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 10, 2009 -> 01:25 AM)
He isnt really a catcher, yet. Right now he wont make it as a catcher in the bigs, he needs to improve ALOT for that to happen, so youre looking at a 1B or DH, and in my mind he has plenty of power to hit 25 or more.

Yes, if he's not a catcher, I agree he'll hit over 25 homers.

If he can learn to be a leader like AJ and build a repoire with the starting staff, there's no reason he can't play the position...he won't be any worse than AJ or Victor Martinez throwing.

Let's give him 18 months in our system before we declare him a DH or 1B.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 9, 2009 -> 08:25 PM)
How do you know he's without it? Maybe he just got ahead of the testing. He is the prize in the Vazquez deal. Him and the $ savings.

You would think the Sox would do a s***load of background checks on a guy who had tested positively in the past. They SHOULD want to make sure taht he is for real and wont get suspended in the future. Plus, you would hope that Flowers is smart enough not to risk getting busted again.

There are alot of ifs out there, and it is possible he still is, but Im pretty confident that he isnt. Again, I could be wrong.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 9, 2009 -> 08:27 PM)
If he can learn to be a leader like AJ and build a repoire with the starting staff, there's no reason he can't play the position...he won't be any worse than AJ or Victor Martinez throwing.

Let's give him 18 months in our system before we declare him a DH or 1B.

Not saying he cant improve, hopefully he has the mindset to become a good game caller and staff manager, we can deal with a weak arm. But his skills are incredibly raw, and he has a long way to go. Im not declaring him a 1b, but its a longshot at this point for him to stick at catcher.