5/9 Games

Heads22

Charlotte (11-17) @ Rochester (13-13)

Carlos Torres (3-1, 0.96) vs. Jason Jones (0-3, 4.44)

6 CT

Birmingham (19-8) @ Montgomery (13-16)

Aaron Poreda (2-3, 1.65) vs. Ryan Morse (2-3, 4.35)

7:05 CT

Winston-Salem PPD

Kannapolis (16-12) @ Lake County (11-16)

Charlie Leesman (3-1, 2.70) vs. Alexander Perez (1-0, 2.28)

Box Score | Audio

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 9, 2009 -> 09:47 PM)
Why did they take Flowers out of the game?

Hopefully not another injury, although Beckham will be back on Monday at least.

If it's not an injury, maybe we decided to cut ties with Corky and promote Flowers. But I doubt that.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 9, 2009 -> 09:23 PM)
Looks like Poreda ran out of gas in the 7th. Still, a promising start.

Aaron said that his back was stiff the whole game. He was told that he would just have to "sack up" and keep pitching. It probably explains why he was up in the zone so much. He was struggling with command of his FB the whole game, but he kept getting out of trouble. He thought he could do it one more time in the 7th.

Kroeger has his OPS up to .858, hitting .405 in his last 10 games with 4 HR and 4 doubles.

Cole Armstrong with a hit raises his average to .146, but also made his second error. He's really struggling.

Brandon Allen now hitting .300, OPS approaching .900.

I just can't get over how good CJ Retherford seems to be, as an undrafted free agent. His OPS is now 1.007. And he seems capable of playing every position on the field.

Fernando Hernandez seems to have figured out the Southern League, in his 2nd year there. Probably time to move him up to Charlotte, pending whatever pitching roster moves the Sox might make.

I don't know where Hawk got the idea that Brandon Allen got off to a disastrous start this season. I think he must have been confused with Viciedo.

Kroeger=Betemit, and Betemit doesn't have a place on this roster. The only difference is that Kroeger could play both corner OF spots, so I wouldn't be against him taking Lillibridge's spot, just because Lillibridge is atrocious.

I'd rather have Kroeger trying to play CF and getting the advantage of his bat than watching Lillibridge flail away. Then again, Kroeger and Pods would be hitting against RHP only, so who knows. Pods is already coming back to reality.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 10, 2009 -> 08:23 AM)
I don't know where Hawk got the idea that Brandon Allen got off to a disastrous start this season. I think he must have been confused with Viciedo.

I don't where Hawk gets any of his ideas.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 10, 2009 -> 11:09 AM)
Anyone up for explaining Lillibridge over Kroeger? We just calling it, "an Ozzie being Ozzie?"

If Betemit hadn't been an absolute hack in his attempts during S/T to play SS, then I think Kroeger might have been up instead of Lilli.

But we had to have a backup SS, Nix was hurt, and Betemit wasn't it... so... there it is.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 10, 2009 -> 06:32 AM)
Kroeger has his OPS up to .858, hitting .405 in his last 10 games with 4 HR and 4 doubles.

Cole Armstrong with a hit raises his average to .146, but also made his second error. He's really struggling.

Brandon Allen now hitting .300, OPS approaching .900.

I just can't get over how good CJ Retherford seems to be, as an undrafted free agent. His OPS is now 1.007. And he seems capable of playing every position on the field.

Fernando Hernandez seems to have figured out the Southern League, in his 2nd year there. Probably time to move him up to Charlotte, pending whatever pitching roster moves the Sox might make.

This is Fernando's third year in B'ham.

QUOTE (moragasoxfan @ May 9, 2009 -> 10:00 PM)
Aaron said that his back was stiff the whole game. He was told that he would just have to "sack up" and keep pitching. It probably explains why he was up in the zone so much. He was struggling with command of his FB the whole game, but he kept getting out of trouble. He thought he could do it one more time in the 7th.

Glad to see he was able to battle through and that 7th should be a good learning experience for him. Also, thanks for the info!

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 11, 2009 -> 10:45 AM)
Hopefully Santos Rodriguez can be the next Boone Logan, but with better mental faculties is "man up" than Logan or Marte.

The Sox scouts really like him. He's got good stuff and is very very young. We'll see if the org can help him and Gilmore develop.