Tony Sanchez, C, Boston College

2667973.jpeg

Class: Junior

Hometown: Miami, Fla.

High School: Miami Killian

Height / Weight: 6-1 / 220

B/T: R/R

Per John Sickels on April 23rdth:

Having a breakthrough spring, Sanchez is hitting .366/.459/.686 with 12 homers for Boston College. He is getting buzz as the top college catching prospect in the draft, pushing past Trevor Coleman of Missouri who has had a rough spring, and is clearly a candidate for the first round on the basis of his power and defense.

Note: Minorleagueball.com has the WhiteSox taking Sanchez with the 38th pick.

2009 Performance - Through May 9th

In his junior year so far...

.365 BA

.465 OBP

.691 SLG

1.165 OPS

14 HR, 17 doubles, 41 RBIs in 181 at-bats

26 BB / 32 K's

Cape Cod League (2008)

He spent the summer with the Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox of the Cape Cod League leading them in hitting with a .326 average with three homers and 18 RBI in 34 games. He was also named to the CCBL All-Star game as a starter for the East Division. After the season was over, he was named to the All-Cape League team as one of the two catchers.

From the BC Website:

AS A SOPHOMORE (2008)

One of three players to start all 53 games ... led the team in batting average (.313), hits (66), home runs (9), RBI (45), slugging (.517), and OPS (.911) ... had 17 multi-hit games ... registered a hit in 25 of the first 26 games played and had a hitting streak of 23 games .... went 3-for-4 with two homers and a career-high six RBO in the season finale vs. Wake Forest (5/17) ... went 3-for-4 and had an RBI against Maryland (5/3) ... recorded two hits with a double, RBI, and two runs at Dartmouth (4/30) ... went 2-for-5 at Rhode Island (4/8) with a home run, double, and four RBI ... had three this in the previous game vs. Duke (4/6) ... went 3-for-4 with a triple, RBI, and a run at Virginia (3/22) ... had two hits and a home run in consecutive games at Clemson (3/14, 3/15) ... had three RBI on 3/14 ... went 3-for-6 with a double and an RBI at Florida Atlantic (3/5) ... went 2-for-4 with a pair of doubles and RBI vs. Mount St. Mary's (2/29).

AS A FRESHMAN (2007)

Played in 50 games, starting 48 contests ... made 38 starts at catcher ... ranked third on the team in batting average .318 (57-for-179) ... totaled 28 RBIs ... recorded a .402 on-base percentage ... registered 17 extra-base hits - 16 doubles and one home run ... collected 18 multiple-hit games ... ranked first on team in hit by pitches (10) ... threw out 23 of 60 stolen-base attempts (38.3 percent) ... hit at a .481 clip (13-for-27) during career-best eight-game hitting streak ... tallied two hits in his collegiate debut - against Vanderbilt (2/25) ... went 3-for-4 with a home run and three RBI at Georgia Tech (3/18) ... collected two hits and four RBI against Maryland-Eastern Shore (5/13).

BEFORE BC

Three-year catcher at Killian High School ... played for head coach Pete Hertler ... was a three-time All-Dade County selection ... served as team captain in 2005 and 2006 ... led his team in every offensive category in 2006 ... Killian advanced to the Florida state finals in 2005 ... graduated from high school with a 4.0 grade point average.

PERSONAL

Enrolled in the College of Arts and Sciences ... Tony is the older of Jorge and D'Marie Sanchez's two children ... born May 20, 1988.

Articles:

Tony Sanchez talks BC Baseball (a 2008 interview)

Edited by scenario

I really like Sanchez, if we could get him with either our 2nd or 3rd pick I'd be all over that. I don't think his ceiling is quite high enough to take him at no. 23, but I like I say, I'd really like him with one of our other picks.

Who is a good comparison for me?:

Upside: Brian McCann

Actual: Russell Martin

Downside: Doug Mirabelli

If he could be anything close to Martin with the stick i would love to have him in our line up

Martins Career Line

.284/.374/ .426 .800

Sanchez would be a very nice pick and I agree with you beautox, if he's anything like Russel Martin we've gotten ourselvse a hell of a pick. Sanchez seems like the type of bat that could be a very good middle of the order hitter. I don't see him hitting for 40 HR power, but you could be talking about a .300, .360+, 20-30 HR type of line and that would be pretty damn awesome coming from the catcher spot.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (BearSox @ May 20, 2009 -> 12:24 PM)
He's clearly the no. 1 college catching prospect right now, and it seems he can come off the board anywhere from 20-40. Here is a good scouting report on him with a little video:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2009/...content=sanchez

I dont' know, Indiana's catcher Phelgey is projected higher by certain publications and I've seen quite a few people rave about Phelgey's leadership and intangibles as well. In fact, aside from Bailey (whom I love from a potential stud back-stop perspective, ie, true defensive catcher) Phelgey and Sanchez are both two guys I like quite a bit with both having the upside of being pretty solid offensive catchers. I still don't know if I take a catcher until around our 2nd 2nd rounder and I hope Bailey falls to our 3rd round pick and than he's great value there, you'd just have to go a bit above slot to sign him.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 20, 2009 -> 12:24 PM)
He's clearly the no. 1 college catching prospect right now, and it seems he can come off the board anywhere from 20-40. Here is a good scouting report on him with a little video:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2009/...content=sanchez

I dont' know who to compare him to, but I think he's a guy that could be a lot like AJ in a sense, but with a bit better defensive upside. And I say that as a compliment. I'm talking a mid .280 hitter with 10-20 hr's, and hopefully unlike AJ a solid OBP. Oh and currently a bit more speed than AJ. Probably the safest of the catcher picks.

From what I've heard about Phegley, there are still question marks as to if he can actually stay behind the plate.

But he's shown he's been able to hit. However, which conference is has tougher opponents, the Big 10 or ACC?

Putting on a good performance today. Per BA:

Tony Sanchez, who is likely to be the first college catcher has put on a nice show here in the middle innings. He ended the Florida State fifth by throwing out Tyler Holt, perhaps the fastest player at this event, trying to steal second base. Then Sanchez smoked a line drive to center field in the sixth to drive in BC’s first run. But he was thrown out at the plate when he hesitated coming around third base on a dropped line drive by left fielder Mike McGee.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 20, 2009 -> 04:15 PM)
From what I've heard about Phegley, there are still question marks as to if he can actually stay behind the plate.

But he's shown he's been able to hit. However, which conference is has tougher opponents, the Big 10 or ACC?

The ACC... Florida St, Virginia, North Carolina, Miami = all teams better than anything in the Big 10, at least year in, year out.

I really want a catcher early in the draft, and I would love Sanchez. That said, I think I'd be excited about just any of the top catcher prospects, except for Phegley (haven't read many good things about his D). I want someone that has a realistic shot at staying at Catcher. At least with a high school kid, we can hope they develop defensive skills. If a college guy isn't that good behind the plate now, I'm not sure he'll ever be.