Draft Profile - RHSP Mike Leake, Arizona St.

BearSox

Mike Leake, RHSP, Arizona St. - 6'0" 180 lbs. (Throws R | Bats R)

2269232.jpeg

Scouting Report

Strengths: Is a leader and has great poise. Has great command of all his pitches - fastball, slider, curve, and change. Fastball sits around the low 90's with good movement, slider is hard with a downward tilt, and change is considered a plus pitch. Curve is average at best. Has been a work horse. Should progress through the system quickly.

Negatives: Small frame and doesn't have great stuff. Not much upside.

Scouting Report Links

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2009/...p?content=leake

http://forum-soxprospects.com/sreply/17038...ng-Reports.html

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2009/5/2/86...ge-pitchers-for -

Mike Leake, RHP, Arizona State

It is hard to beat Leake's statistical performance this year: 11-1, 1.59, 96/18 K/BB in 91 innings, 53 hits allowed. And Arizona State plays great competition. Leake has exceptional polish, and is rated as a first round talent despite a fastball in the 88-92 range. His slider, curveball, and changeup are all strong, especially the changeup, and his feel for pitching is terrific. Scouts love his competitive instincts and he should move quickly through the minors, even though he doesn't have the ceiling of some of these other guys. He could go anywhere from 20 to 50 on the draft board.

Statistics

2009 - 1.47 ERA | 12-1 W-L | 4 CG | 97.2 IP | 59 H | 18 BB | 104 K | 12 HBP | 18 R | 16 ER | .179 Opp. BA

2007 & 2008 - http://www.thebaseballcube.com/Players/L/Michael-Leake.shtml

Bio

http://thesundevils.cstv.com/sports/m-base...ake_mike00.html

Video

Project Draft Slot

10-25 selection range

Player Comparison

Tim Hudson

My Take

Seems like a pick we would have made moreso 2+ years ago. Now, I'm not so sure. Seems like a solid safe pick, but doesn't seem like the type of pitcher the new draft regime looks to take early on. He's somewhat similar to Broadway, but probably better.

I would not mind him with pick no. 23, but looks like his value has been increasing a great amount. A lot of places now have him in the top 15.

Edited by BearSox

• 2 weeks later...

You have to wonder if people don't like his stuff as much because of the fact that he doesn't feature the good fastball and is already so developed or if its really because his other pitches aren't that good. I've seen him pitch and he made guys look ridiculous in college. Not in the Strausburg sense but he still had a great handle of things and his velocity is good enough. I'd say he's a more complete version of Broadway as opposed to McCulloch and I expect him to be off the draft board when the Sox pick.

Not a power pitcher but a shot to be a #2 or #3 and that ain't bad. I probably pass on him though if he was around at 23, but it depends on what else is out there.

The kid just flat out WINS. At times you don't see how he's always so dominant...but he has consistently done for 3 years at ASU in a pretty tough conference. He's actually a pretty good hitter too and finds the field for Murphy when he's not pitching sometimes. But I think Murphy is saving him now that Spence went down. I'd take him on my team ANY day. Reminds me a bit of Bronson Arroyo.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 19, 2009 -> 03:46 PM)
You have to wonder if people don't like his stuff as much because of the fact that he doesn't feature the good fastball and is already so developed or if its really because his other pitches aren't that good. I've seen him pitch and he made guys look ridiculous in college. Not in the Strausburg sense but he still had a great handle of things and his velocity is good enough. I'd say he's a more complete version of Broadway as opposed to McCulloch and I expect him to be off the draft board when the Sox pick.

Not a power pitcher but a shot to be a #2 or #3 and that ain't bad. I probably pass on him though if he was around at 23, but it depends on what else is out there.

In my best Chris Tucker voice...Don't you EVA, EVA...EVA, EVA, EVA EVA, mention Lance Broadway's name in conjunction with any potential White Sox draft pick as long as you live.

And Mike Leake with a sick performance against UCLA last night (9 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 0 BB 12 SO).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 23, 2009 -> 02:35 AM)
And Mike Leake with a sick performance against UCLA last night (9 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 0 BB 12 SO).

2nd consecutive CG shutout. 2nd consecutive 12K game. Now 14-1 on the year. The dude just wins.

QUOTE (Wanne @ May 23, 2009 -> 01:28 PM)
2nd consecutive CG shutout. 2nd consecutive 12K game. Now 14-1 on the year. The dude just wins.

So did Lance Broadway in college. I want to stay away from Leake. Yeah, he might be a solid, safe choice, but we have seen where that's gotten us in Broadway/McCulloch. There's no denying he has been dominant this year, but I want a more high risk/high reward type pick.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ May 23, 2009 -> 07:08 PM)
So did Lance Broadway in college. I want to stay away from Leake. Yeah, he might be a solid, safe choice, but we have seen where that's gotten us in Broadway/McCulloch. There's no denying he has been dominant this year, but I want a more high risk/high reward type pick.

I like Leake, but i agree with this mentality. We need to take risks.