Are you in or out?

BigSqwert

Belly buttons  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Is your belly button and innie or outie?

• Innie
    • Outie
    • Still have my umbilical cord

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BobDylan @ May 11, 2009 -> 03:08 PM)
That would be the pessimistic point of view, yes. But it is almost entirely speculative, which is not realism. I don't need to argue semantics with you on this, the dictionary has already done it for us.

I'm assuming every time someone slightly misuses a word in any way you have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. It must be incredibly difficult for you on a day to day basis; for that you have my sympathies. I'm also assuming that every time the phrase "a realistic prediction" is used on sportscenter, you must be frothing at the mouth, jumping up and down, and screaming at the top of your lungs "SPECULATION! SPECULATION!"

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ May 11, 2009 -> 05:39 PM)
I'm assuming every time someone slightly misuses a word in any way you have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. It must be incredibly difficult for you on a day to day basis; for that you have my sympathies. I'm also assuming that every time the phrase "a realistic prediction" is used on sportscenter, you must be frothing at the mouth, jumping up and down, and screaming at the top of your lungs "SPECULATION! SPECULATION!"

Thanks for crossing the line here between message board life and every day life, bud.

I'm calling you out specifically, and nobody else. I've seen you on more than one occasion back up your pessimistic antics with nothing more than, 'I'm a realist and you're not.' That is not an exact quote, but I'd prefer not to go digging around for your quotes when you know what you've said. Not only only do you slap the face of every optimist here, but you call them ignorant and blind at the same time. So here's my point: I did not misunderstand what you said in the slightest bit - I'm telling you to read what you say and understand it for yourself, instead of spouting off and calling foul any time somebody calls you the f*** out.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 11, 2009 -> 04:27 PM)
Actually no. People decided to assume that it was but it's actually about belly buttons (see poll).

:lolhitting gee, people here flying off the handle and making assumptions?! Shocking!

QUOTE (Texsox @ May 11, 2009 -> 02:22 PM)
After this thread, I guess I am out.

TexSox-

Without a doubt, you are my favorite poster here. This site would be a real drag without the levity you add. Thanks for the perspective you add to this site.

Pants.

P.S. Can I have sex with you, too?

P.P.S. Ozzie Guillen replaces Alexei with...Ozzie Guillen: First player-manager since Pete Rose.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ May 11, 2009 -> 05:51 PM)
Thanks for crossing the line here between message board life and every day life, bud.

I'm calling you out specifically, and nobody else. I've seen you on more than one occasion back up your pessimistic antics with nothing more than, 'I'm a realist and you're not.' That is not an exact quote, but I'd prefer not to go digging around for your quotes when you know what you've said. Not only only do you slap the face of every optimist here, but you call them ignorant and blind at the same time. So here's my point: I did not misunderstand what you said in the slightest bit - I'm telling you to read what you say and understand it for yourself, instead of spouting off and calling foul any time somebody calls you the f*** out.

Look dude, I apologize. You are correct, I went over the line. We're all frustrated.

I just don't understand how I'm painted as a pessimist when from very early in the 05 season through about september of 06 I was one of the most optimistic people on this board.

My pessimism began in early 07 - for which it was justifited. I didn't see how they were gonna do it last season, but they did it anyway, which I'm happy to admit I was wrong about, but it was very clear that the reasons they did it last season was because of exceptional years by more than a few players who might not have the potential to replicate. The pitching staff suffered at least one major subtraction in the offseason and the additions were questionable. Moreover, I made it clear many times that I bought into the BABIP theory with Floyd and it seems completely relevant after all, and that extension looks about as bad a move as we could've ever dreamed because of it, which is something I was really afraid of. I could not see Alexei and Quentin being that good, especially Alexei in the clutch with his 1,000 grand slams. One month in, it's even worse than I thought it was going to be, and more wheels are falling off by the day.

Are there solutions? Absolutely. The solutions are to bag this season, because this team sorely needs to reconfigure. There are several things that have needed addressing for several years - the abundance of dhs, the backup catcher question, CF, and dealing pieces at the deadline to get the talent we need to move forward is the way to go. To that end, I am out - way out. This team has so many fundamental things wrong with it that I can't imagine fixing one or two of them, let alone twenty.

For many teams, optimism would seem appropriate, in particular the 2000, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 and after a few weeks, the 2008 team. For the 2009 team, I have simply not seen a team look this bad since very early 01 or late August 99 and I fear far worse is yet to come.

Go blackhawks.

Prior to Monday's contest, Guillen was asked to explain Cleveland's horrific 11-21 start to the 2009 campaign as he held court with the media during his daily session. He would not place the full onus of present disappointment on Eric Wedge's crew.

"Everybody struggles in the American League," said Guillen with a laugh. "We stink, and we are only three games out. Everyone in this division is not playing good right now."

Judging by the South Siders' performance during the Indians' victory, the White Sox (14-17) are a few steps below good at this point. And to update Guillen's pregame thoughts, the team now sits 3 1/2 games behind the idle Tigers and Royals in the AL Central. But Guillen is not worried about a repeat of the 72-90 debacle from 2007 starting to replay itself.

"No, our bullpen is better than 2007, way better," Guillen said. "We have better players. Right now, this is happening to us as a team, but we went through this before and overcame."

Well, Ozzie is still "in." Since he usually tells it like he truly thinks it is, I'll believe him. We're looking at 14-18, however, with Clayton going tomorrow. Definitely not looking good with Floyd not getting ahead in the count this year.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ May 11, 2009 -> 09:57 PM)
Look dude, I apologize. You are correct, I went over the line. We're all frustrated.

I just don't understand how I'm painted as a pessimist when from very early in the 05 season through about september of 06 I was one of the most optimistic people on this board.

My pessimism began in early 07 - for which it was justifited. I didn't see how they were gonna do it last season, but they did it anyway, which I'm happy to admit I was wrong about, but it was very clear that the reasons they did it last season was because of exceptional years by more than a few players who might not have the potential to replicate. The pitching staff suffered at least one major subtraction in the offseason and the additions were questionable. Moreover, I made it clear many times that I bought into the BABIP theory with Floyd and it seems completely relevant after all, and that extension looks about as bad a move as we could've ever dreamed because of it, which is something I was really afraid of. I could not see Alexei and Quentin being that good, especially Alexei in the clutch with his 1,000 grand slams. One month in, it's even worse than I thought it was going to be, and more wheels are falling off by the day.

Are there solutions? Absolutely. The solutions are to bag this season, because this team sorely needs to reconfigure. There are several things that have needed addressing for several years - the abundance of dhs, the backup catcher question, CF, and dealing pieces at the deadline to get the talent we need to move forward is the way to go. To that end, I am out - way out. This team has so many fundamental things wrong with it that I can't imagine fixing one or two of them, let alone twenty.

For many teams, optimism would seem appropriate, in particular the 2000, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 and after a few weeks, the 2008 team. For the 2009 team, I have simply not seen a team look this bad since very early 01 or late August 99 and I fear far worse is yet to come.

Go blackhawks.

Good post.

I'm all for both pessimism and optimism, it's the only thing that makes this board tick with good dialogue. In fact, I'm probably a pessimist myself, and I hope I haven't dissuaded you from posting anything negative. There are plenty of proud people of that ilk around here, as I'm sure you've noticed. I just don't like when people defend it by calling it a realistic approach - especially in early May.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ May 11, 2009 -> 10:07 PM)
TexSox-

Without a doubt, you are my favorite poster here. This site would be a real drag without the levity you add. Thanks for the perspective you add to this site.

Pants.

P.S. Can I have sex with you, too?

P.P.S. Ozzie Guillen replaces Alexei with...Ozzie Guillen: First player-manager since Pete Rose.

Well, when it comes to baseball, or any subject for that matter, I'm an idiot, or so I've been told (repeatedly). :lolhitting At least I can laugh about it.

I have mentioned this before, but I will repeat it for the new posters. After 30+ years of following this team, you have to enjoy the sport and the entertainment that is White Sox baseball. Perhaps I am one of the last of Veecks "World's biggest saloon" holdouts. We are not Yankee fans who can expect to win a Championship a few times per decade. So I accept what is on the field and enjoy the season. I am not going to lose sleep over it, getting mad about it is about as sane as getting mad because Jennifer Aniston made a crappy movie and you are a fan of hers.

Allow me to post a few Bill Veeck quotes that I appreciate.

The most beautiful thing in the world is a ballpark filled with people.

Bill Veeck

The true harbinger of spring is not crocuses or swallows returning to Capistrano, but the sound of the bat on the ball.

Bill Veeck

There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball.

Bill Veeck

What can I do, I asked myself, that is so spectacular that no one will be able to say he had seen it before? The answer was perfectly obvious. I would send a midget up to bat.

Bill Veeck

Somewhere in there is why I love White Sox baseball. A long time ago I accepted I may never see a Sox World Series, I was wrong. But I have accepted I may never see another one. Every win, every player like Mark Buehrle or Frank Thomas, is to be cherished. So some fans, including many here, can get frustrated and s*** all over my team, but that is your choice and how you want to enjoy this team. The saloon is big enough for everyone. Just don't get annoyed when I cheer when you want to spew a profanity laced diatribe at the team.

I often times wonder if many of the negative posters here are just trying to convince themselves how smart they are about baseball by posting the 1001 ways a team can fall apart and lose.So in the end who is smarter? The fans who enjoy the boys of summer, or those who spend so much time and energy saying this team sucks?

QUOTE (Texsox @ May 12, 2009 -> 07:32 AM)
Well, when it comes to baseball, or any subject for that matter, I'm an idiot, or so I've been told (repeatedly). :lolhitting At least I can laugh about it.

I have mentioned this before, but I will repeat it for the new posters. After 30+ years of following this team, you have to enjoy the sport and the entertainment that is White Sox baseball. Perhaps I am one of the last of Veecks "World's biggest saloon" holdouts. We are not Yankee fans who can expect to win a Championship a few times per decade. So I accept what is on the field and enjoy the season. I am not going to lose sleep over it, getting mad about it is about as sane as getting mad because Jennifer Aniston made a crappy movie and you are a fan of hers.

Bill Veeck

The true harbinger of spring is not crocuses or swallows returning to Capistrano, but the sound of the bat on the ball.

Bill Veeck

Bill Veeck

What can I do, I asked myself, that is so spectacular that no one will be able to say he had seen it before? The answer was perfectly obvious. I would send a midget up to bat.

Bill Veeck

Somewhere in there is why I love White Sox baseball. A long time ago I accepted I may never see a Sox World Series, I was wrong. But I have accepted I may never see another one. Every win, every player like Mark Buehrle or Frank Thomas, is to be cherished. So some fans, including many here, can get frustrated and s*** all over my team, but that is your choice and how you want to enjoy this team. The saloon is big enough for everyone. Just don't get annoyed when I cheer when you want to spew a profanity laced diatribe at the team.

I often times wonder if many of the negative posters here are just trying to convince themselves how smart they are about baseball by posting the 1001 ways a team can fall apart and lose.So in the end who is smarter? The fans who enjoy the boys of summer, or those who spend so much time and energy saying this team sucks?

That is a great last paragraph. If you are miserable, you are doing it wrong. Turn off the TV and find something you enjoy instead.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 12, 2009 -> 07:55 AM)
That is a great last paragraph. If you are miserable, you are doing it wrong. Turn off the TV and find something you enjoy instead.

What is really strange is that many of the posters who posted all winter variations on how many different ways this team will suck, are now upset the team is living down to expectations. I am not suggesting that we just blindly cheer whatever crap the organization trots out there, but a little perspective on what real trials and tribulations are, and an appreciation of the game for the game's sake, goes a long way.

QUOTE (Texsox @ May 12, 2009 -> 07:32 AM)

Bill Veeck

Bill Veeck

Bill Veeck

Bill Veeck

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

All posters at soxtalk should be required to read this before posting.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 12, 2009 -> 07:55 AM)
If you are miserable, you are doing it wrong. Turn off the TV and find something you enjoy instead.

I had that come to Jesus moment one weekend in 2006. I was tired of letting my emotions ride on a bunch of strangers who happened to wear the White Sox uniform. I decided I was either going to start enjoying the game of baseball win or lose, or quit it for good. I made a rule for myself that if I started to get angry while watching/listening to the game, I had to turn it off and do something else. If that didn't cure me, I would tackle all those home improvement projects my wife envisions for my summer. Lucky for me the remedy worked. I still have season tickets and a game I can enjoy for its simplicity and complexity all rolled into one.

Edited by Pants Rowland

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ May 12, 2009 -> 08:44 AM)
I had that come to Jesus moment one weekend in 2006. I was tired of letting my emotions ride on a bunch of strangers who happened to wear the White Sox uniform. I decided I was either going to start enjoying the game of baseball win or lose, or quit it for good. I made a rule for myself that if I started to get angry while watching/listening to the game, I had to turn it off and do something else. If that didn't cure me, I would tackle all those home improvement projects my wife envisions for my summer. Luck for me the remedy worked. I still have season tickets and a game I still can enjoy for its simplicity and complexity all rolled into one.

When they piss you off in the first inning do you just get up and leave the ball park? :P

Honestly that would be awesome.

QUOTE (Texsox @ May 12, 2009 -> 08:01 AM)
What is really strange is that many of the posters who posted all winter variations on how many different ways this team will suck, are now upset the team is living down to expectations. I am not suggesting that we just blindly cheer whatever crap the organization trots out there, but a little perspective on what real trials and tribulations are, and an appreciation of the game for the game's sake, goes a long way.

I have a different perspective. I understand the economics of this team. I understand that at some point the core of the 05 team is at its end as far as age for the most part and that reinforcements are being groomed at AA. The process of sprinkling in youth, and starting to move to a newer younger core that can complete for the next 6 years is being built. Its been built with the last few drafts, through some trades, and will be through this draft. I can live with short term crap, to get a long term winner. This is the ebb and flow of whitesox baseball. We are spoiled as a fanbase that we compete every year, where a lot of franchises don't. I am content to ride out this season, try to compete but not to ruin the overall mission of building a constant contender. You cheer for the sox to win. But in the end, as you have said we pretty much all had a feeling about this season so why would anyone get bent out of shape over an expected result is beyond me.

A few points:

You can be extraordinarily critical of a team and still enjoy the simple things about a baseball game/experience.

If the team is down in the first inning, you don't leave, but quite often based on how the team looks you have a very good idea of whether they are capable of winning or losing a game by the middle of the third (which is about where we are right now).

Those people who are critical of the team would like nothing more than to be positive about the team, and quite often probably are.

And thanks for the good response, bd.

Boy am I glad I didn't she'll out the cash to get MLB Extra-Innings this year,I'd be fuming at the crap KW and co. have put out as a pro ball club.I'll just watch them online and when they look like they are well on their way to getting shutout (again),I'll just wander into a porno site and This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you.

That always makes my day...

QUOTE (shipps @ May 12, 2009 -> 08:47 AM)
When they piss you off in the first inning do you just get up and leave the ball park? :P

Honestly that would be awesome.

I did Friday night.

My problem is not that the Sox suck, there appears to be hope on the horizon. I would rather suck and get a high draft pick than wallow in mediocrity and end up with Lance Broadway.

My problem is envy and primarily that the cubs may be good and enjoy the season and post season success while I am left to do something that I do not enjoy as much as watch the Sox. I know this is twisted but that is the way it is. If I could turn on sportsradio now and never have to hear about the cub, I would be fine with a 77-87 season.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 12, 2009 -> 12:02 PM)
My problem is envy and primarily that the cubs may be good and enjoy the season and post season success

Just wait. If we fall into last place and the Cubs start picking it up again, Cub fans will be relentless on us. And we have no excuses. Can't say any of our best players are injured and can't say we're in a tough division. We just flat out stink.

And for as badly as the Cubs have played so far they're still only 2.5 games out of first and are a couple games above .500. If we continue to falter this is going to be a horrendous summer.

QUOTE (JustWin @ May 12, 2009 -> 12:55 PM)
Just wait. If we fall into last place and the Cubs start picking it up again, Cub fans will be relentless on us. And we have no excuses. Can't say any of our best players are injured and can't say we're in a tough division. We just flat out stink.

And for as badly as the Cubs have played so far they're still only 2.5 games out of first and are a couple games above .500. If we continue to falter this is going to be a horrendous summer.

Who cares what cub fans say about your team. You own the ultimate trump card of all. When my cub friends decided to drive the nail a bit deep I always say this to them.

"Ah I hope you get to experience what we did in 2005. I remember game 2 of the world series with the Konerko slam and the pods walk off. I was there. In my rain pancho, wearing my winter coat underneath. I remember the stadium rocking as we filed out. What a night. A few days later, I remember the moment when the last out was recorded in Houston. I have mementos and a commemorative DVD that I can watch over and over to get my fill. Now if you wish to find a cubs fan that had the same experience just get yourself a shovel or a Ouija board and have yourself a day."

Edited by southsideirish71

You own the ultimate trump card of all.

Then they say "stop living in the past". Or I've had some laugh and say "ha, the Sox won the world series and they're still 2nd fiddle to the Cubs." It's very, very annoying which makes the Sox losing/Cubs winning days that much harder to take.

QUOTE (JustWin @ May 12, 2009 -> 02:01 PM)
Then they say "stop living in the past". Or I've had some laugh and say "ha, the Sox won the world series and they're still 2nd fiddle to the Cubs." It's very, very annoying which makes the Sox losing/Cubs winning days that much harder to take.

A cubs fan telling you to stop living in the past is a joke. This is the same fanbase that kills goats, then hangs said goats from their favorite dead drunken broadcaster's statue. They have destroyed a guys life ( Bartman) because their shortstop couldn't catch a ground ball. They have blown up baseballs, and then have eaten said baseball to kill some mythical voodoo hatchet job. Their entire fanbase believes that a goat of all things is what is keeping them from glory. The living in the past trump card is one that a cub fan cannot throw down.