Would the Sox Draft Strasburg?

Chisoxfn

Hypothetical question. If the Sox had the shot to draft Strausberg, do you feel the organization would take him? I know a lot of people are giving the Nationals flack for maybe not taking the consensus #1 pick due to Boras demanding a $50M bonus, but would the White Sox take him and would you take him?

The guy profiles to be a front of the rotation starter and could immediately jump into your rotation. Most scouts have already said that Strausberg would immediately be the Nationals #1 pitcher. While I don't know if he'll make the jump that easily, his stuff is just awe dropping and he seems to have a very nice delivery, but injuries can easily get in the way of a pitcher and I'll be honest, I'd feel more comfortable giving $50M guaranteed to an offensive prospect coming out of the draft than a pitching prospect because health plays a much larger role in a pitchers success.

I also feel, in fact, pretty much guarantee, that the White Sox would not draft Strausburg and I don't think they would be the only organization that would pass on him. And this alone leads me to another point, MLB needs to allow the trading of draft picks or at least the trading of early round selections.

The Nationals clearly don't have the financial ability to truly put all that money in Strausburg (they still might) but shouldn't they have the option to utilize there leverage and make a deal with the Yanks, Dodgers, Red Sox, etc and get another teams pick plus prospects? Lets make draft picks chips. Maybe throw in a limit to how many picks you can actually trade or something if baseball is overly concerned, but at least allow some mobility of picks because it will better allow the best players to go early in the draft and will also enable small market teams to have a bit more success because they can get something for moving down and taking the "signability" selection.

Like it or not, they would not go that far over slot money. If he fell that far, he'd be falling farther still.

And frankly, I'm not sure I ever like investing that much in a pitcher, no matter who he is, until I know his arm can handle the workload. How many top talent pitchers drop down because of arm trouble when they try to get moved up to the full-MLB-season level? 33%? 50%?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 11, 2009 -> 10:26 AM)
Like it or not, they would not go that far over slot money. If he fell that far, he'd be falling farther still.

And frankly, I'm not sure I ever like investing that much in a pitcher, no matter who he is, until I know his arm can handle the workload. How many top talent pitchers drop down because of arm trouble when they try to get moved up to the full-MLB-season level? 33%? 50%?

Balta, that is my biggest concern. I have a lot of trouble investing big bucks in any sort of pitcher just because of the injury concerns. It's also why I feel it is so important to have tons of pitching prospects in your organization at all times, because if you can than develop those arms, you'll be king. Pitching is always king. You'll be able to trade your talent that develops and nears FA and than slowly bring in new arms, keeping your rotation strong yet cost effective and that allows you to spend more money on the bigger name position players, who tend to be much better FA buys since hitters typically can stay healthy for a much longer time and actually live up to the big money contracts.

In addition, I should point out that when you are allowed to trade draft picks, that it also means you must than have a draft cap or something along those lines similar to what the NBA or NFL uses. This would prevent teams like the BoSox from buying picks and than still taking guys that fell late and offering them huge bonuses. Plus it would just keep things fairer for the small market teams.

If the guy is really asking for $50M, then f*** no, I'm not going to pay that. Now, I don't necessarily think he'll end up getting that much money, but the fact that Boras is asking for that upfront means he's still going to get an absurd amount. As good as this guy is supposed to be, there's no "unproven" player I'd pay that much for. That's just ridiculous. Give me Dustin Ackley and I'm fine with that.

He's not going to get 50mil, not even close, that's just Boras doing his thing. He'll probably end up getting between 15-25 million which is still a s*** ton of money but it's doable.

If we were in position to draft him then you have to do it. How do you explain to your fans why you passed on the best talent in the last decade b/c you were too cheap to pay him (pay him with our money as fans none the less)

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ May 11, 2009 -> 05:14 PM)
He's not going to get 50mil, not even close, that's just Boras doing his thing. He'll probably end up getting between 15-25 million which is still a s*** ton of money but it's doable.

If we were in position to draft him then you have to do it. How do you explain to your fans why you passed on the best talent in the last decade b/c you were too cheap to pay him (pay him with our money as fans none the less)

Everything that I've read in BA says there's no way he gets 50 million. He'll break the record for a signing bonus (I think Prior set it), but he won't get that much. I do think the Sox would take him though.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ May 11, 2009 -> 03:17 PM)
Everything that I've read in BA says there's no way he gets 50 million. He'll break the record for a signing bonus (I think Prior set it), but he won't get that much. I do think the Sox would take him though.

I see a lot of people speculate that the Nats will go 15M and tell Boras to take it or leave it. If I were Strausburg I'd be hard pressed to accept the deal because if I were near as good as Strausburg could be than you'd be better off signing now and hitting FA a year sooner than sitting and coming back in the draft a year from now. However, I do think he'll end up signing for something between 15 and 25 million and I think the Sox would take him if they could get him for something in that range, although 25 would be the pure max (and I'd be hardpressed to say the Sox wouldn't go past 20).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 11, 2009 -> 05:27 PM)
Oh, if the Nats don't pick him he won't go very far and definately not to the Sox pick, which I believe is 23rd.

Yeah, I checked. The White Sox are picking 23rd. This thread is pointless, he isn't going to fall to 23 unless he needs arm surgery.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 11, 2009 -> 03:29 PM)
Yeah, I checked. The White Sox are picking 23rd. This thread is pointless, he isn't going to fall to 23 unless he needs arm surgery.

Oh, I'm not making it about whether the Sox would draft him, much more the hypothetical because I find it to be a very curious question in general since the Nats are getting so much heat, yet there is a major question whether a large market team like the Sox would even make the move.

Plus the Strausburg case totally supports the need for the ability to trade picks in baseball.

QUOTE (scenario @ May 11, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
If we signed him to a major league contract right away, can we trade him right away?

Imagine the package we could get from the Yankees or Red Sox in that scenario.

You have to wait a year before trading him.

The Sox just don't deal with Boras, PERIOD. They've already released their first Boras signing in forever, Ben Broussard, and that was just a minor league deal.

The Sox and other teams wouldn't sign Porcello for what, $12 million? The Sox have a hard enough time trying to give out $50 million to their established players.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 11, 2009 -> 03:58 PM)
The Sox just don't deal with Boras, PERIOD. They've already released their first Boras signing in forever, Ben Broussard, and that was just a minor league deal.

The Sox and other teams wouldn't sign Porcello for what, $12 million? The Sox have a hard enough time trying to give out $50 million to their established players.

I think its hard to compare Porcello and Strasburg, although I agree in theory that it works since Porcello fell strictly because of his demands but Porcello also had a lot more question-marks than Strasberg who is for the most part regarded as the top collegiate player ever available in the modern day version of the MLB amateur draft. Some would argue the best pitcher available. Obviously that puts a lot of pressure on Strasburg, but pure talent wise, I don't think there has ever been a pitcher entering the draft at the level he's playing at (doesn't mean he'll be the best ever, just stating that he's special).

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 11, 2009 -> 03:58 PM)

But I won't lie, Porcello looks legit. He's still got a lot to learn, but his pure stuff is good enough that he'll be able to hang and develop at the major league level and it appears as if the Tigers are going to handle him right (ie, heavily limit his workload). You'll probably see them even piggy back him with Dontrelle or another starter from time to time this year to make sure he throws no more than 160-170IP's and I mean NO MORE than that.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 11, 2009 -> 05:58 PM)

To be fair, the release had nothing to do with who Broussard's agent was. It was because BB sucked.

If I was Strasburg I would stopped pitching in April and walked away rom my college team. As s***ty as that is, his work load this season will realistically prohibit him from playing this year which could be why Boras has him not sign then next season he starts fresh and joins a team July 1st of next year.

If Washington drafts and signs him to $50M contract the day after the draft how many innings will he pitch this year?

How many has he thrown in college?

I look at it like this Aaron Crow drops to Toronto and they pick him, he could pitch for them this year especially if theyare in a pennent race.

If Strasberg falls, which I doubt in both cases, he will most likely not have an impact his season.

Kind of a big bargaining chip for Crow this year and Strasberg next.