Would the Sox Draft Strasburg?

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 13, 2009 -> 05:29 AM)
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

Article hyping him as possibly the best pitching prospect ever (kiss of death!) at MLB.com

He is without a doubt the best pitching prospect to come out of the draft. Better than Van Poppel, Prior, etc. However, there is a difference between being the best pitching prospect and the best major leauge pitcher. Basically put that his skill-set right now is tops of any prior pitcher at the point that they enter the draft and that I would agree with. Only other guy I could compare him to is Prior, who was filthy in his own right.

Stan Kasten, CEO, Nationals - Kasten has been telling people he'll pay a fair-market rate for San Diego State phenom pitcher Stephen Strasburg but not major league money. If that's the case, the Nationals probably shouldn't bother drafting him. There are plenty of other organizations that say they wouldn't give Strasburg a major league contract, either, but then again there are plenty who feel Strasburg should go right to the big leagues. -- Boston Globe

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 18, 2009 -> 07:10 PM)
So you draft him, and if he doesn't sign you get the #1 pick again next year, plus another top 3 pick or so from how bad Washington is going to suck.

No, they wouldn't get the #1 pick next year if he doesn't sign. They would get another first rounder, but not the #1 pick. They would lose a pick and go down to at least the #2 spot. Not a big drop, but still a drop none the less. Drafting him and not signing him would be a bad move for the franchise though and they really do have to take him. Even if it took 20 million it would behoove the Nationals to do it cause a year from now they could probably deal him with ease and get a ton of cash savings or whatever if they are in a horrid financial position.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 18, 2009 -> 09:36 PM)
No, they wouldn't get the #1 pick next year if he doesn't sign. They would get another first rounder, but not the #1 pick. They would lose a pick and go down to at least the #2 spot. Not a big drop, but still a drop none the less. Drafting him and not signing him would be a bad move for the franchise though and they really do have to take him. Even if it took 20 million it would behoove the Nationals to do it cause a year from now they could probably deal him with ease and get a ton of cash savings or whatever if they are in a horrid financial position.

I thought the new catch in the draft was if you couldn't sign a guy, you got the same pick in the next draft?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 19, 2009 -> 08:03 PM)
I thought the new catch in the draft was if you couldn't sign a guy, you got the same pick in the next draft?

Nope you move down one slot. The newer thing was that it expanded to the first three rounds, I believe. I just know the Nats are picking 10th this year for not signing Aaron Crow and had the 9th pick last year.

Whomever gets the 1st pick in the 2011 draft is going to be lucky. I think most everyone saw video of Bryce Harper, the Sophmore Catcher out of Las Vegas, but below are the ridiculous stats he put up in his high school season.

Try to digest this. He hit .626/.723/1.339 in 115 at-bats. He had 22 doubles, nine triples and 14 home runs, eight of which came in his last seven games. He scored 76 runs while driving in 55. He walked 39 times and struck out just five. He also stole 36 bases in 39 attempts and ended the season on a 23-game hitting streak.

Its quite possible that you'll be able to trade draft picks by 2011 and people are going to be all over this guy, especially given his position. Plus defensive tools and a f***ing stellar bat.