5/11 Games

scenario

Wow, where did Stefan Gartrell come from all of a sudden? Not sure if its the protection he gets in that lineup, but... he's now got a 1.016 OPS, and he's hit 7 home runs in just 92 at bats in a tough HR ballpark (that's about twice his rate from last year). OBP over .400.

I realize he's 25 and repeating AA (sounds a bit like Cook a couple years ago), but he was highly touted at one time. Maybe he's ready for that kind of consideration again?

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 12, 2009 -> 12:14 AM)
Is the Retherford situation basically that he's at 2B to get at-bats with the plan to move him elsewhere later on, or is he actually a 2B prospect now? How is he doing over there? Maybe he becomes kind of like our Blake DeWitt or something, but with a little bit more pop.

I think he's doing fine over there. But, his best tool is his .300 caliber hitting prowess. So, he's a "find him a spot" guy.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 12, 2009 -> 10:47 AM)
I really wish Allen would get a shot to at least check out some at-bats for the big club.

He will, but it doesn't make much sense right now. Unless one of the Konerko/Thome/Betemit/Dye club gets hurt or traded, there is really nowhere for him to play. He'll get his shot soon enough.

I love that whole damn B-Ham lineup. I don't see a player in there who isn't high potential to be a major league contributor.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 12, 2009 -> 11:49 AM)
He will, but it doesn't make much sense right now. Unless one of the Konerko/Thome/Betemit/Dye club gets hurt or traded, there is really nowhere for him to play. He'll get his shot soon enough.

I love that whole damn B-Ham lineup. I don't see a player in there who isn't high potential to be a major league contributor.

I love 6 of them. I don't think David Cook will ever amount to anything and Gartrell maybe only as a 4th OF. I don't know enough about Retherford but he certainly is intriguing.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 12, 2009 -> 11:25 AM)
So now what with Gordon Beckham on the DL, and Jordan Danks moved to Birmingham? Might David Cook go to AAA?

Danks moved to B-Ham??? I didn't see that.

Not sure about Cook to AAA, it makes sense, but who loses out in Charlotte?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 12, 2009 -> 05:47 AM)
Wow, where did Stefan Gartrell come from all of a sudden? Not sure if its the protection he gets in that lineup, but... he's now got a 1.016 OPS, and he's hit 7 home runs in just 92 at bats in a tough HR ballpark (that's about twice his rate from last year). OBP over .400.

I realize he's 25 and repeating AA (sounds a bit like Cook a couple years ago), but he was highly touted at one time. Maybe he's ready for that kind of consideration again?

Gartrell came from the same college as Poreda and always was thought of as a rather toolsy player. He's starting to put things together.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 12, 2009 -> 11:56 AM)
I'd rather Gartrell get some time in AAA since I think he has more a future than Cook.

But as I said in the other thread, I think they like keeping the band together in AA. Cook is looked at less as part of that band, and at 27 or 28 or whatever he is, he needs to be in AAA.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 12, 2009 -> 12:59 PM)
But as I said in the other thread, I think they like keeping the band together in AA. Cook is looked at less as part of that band, and at 27 or 28 or whatever he is, he needs to be in AAA.

But Gartrell is already 25. It comes down to whether or not they think he would benefit more by staying with "the core" or by getting more experience at AAA. Several of those guys (Beckham, Allen, Flowers, maybe even Viciedo if he picks it up) have outside to pretty good shots at being in Chicago next year. Gartrell is not one of them. IMO, he needs AAA more than the others so you have to weigh what is best for him and the organization. I tend to believe that it would be better to have Gartrell get extra experience at AAA to more accurately gauge what we have in him.