Getz

letsgoarow

QUOTE (fathom @ May 11, 2009 -> 09:01 PM)
He's an ideal #9 hitter.

fathom come on. if he's an "ideal" #9 hitters then very, very few teams in the major leagues have ideal #9 hitters. he'll grow to be a fine leadoff or 2 hole guy.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 12, 2009 -> 02:03 AM)
fathom come on. if he's an "ideal" #9 hitters then very, very few teams in the major leagues have ideal #9 hitters. he'll grow to be a fine leadoff or 2 hole guy.

It's not a negative at all. He'll make a good second leadoff man, but I think you can find a better leadoff man down the road.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 11, 2009 -> 07:08 PM)
It's not a negative at all. He'll make a good second leadoff man, but I think you can find a better leadoff man down the road.

Hopefully someone like D2: the Mighty Danks can fill that role.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 11, 2009 -> 09:01 PM)
He's an ideal #9 hitter.

No he isn't. Not here and off the top of my head no where else in the majors either. This line up is not strong enough up and down the order to put him anywhere else but either one or two. Getz would be the best nine hitter in the majors arguably. As we know nine hole hitters are generally the very worst hitter on any given team. Getz plate discipline is something no one else on this roster can give us at the moment. I do like the idea of having a very good nine hitter, which getz would be, but only if two players are brought in, who year in year out produces at the top of the order. This will be highly unrealistic as we will have even greater needs to address than the top of the line up this off season.

Only in extreme cases (when a player is signifigantly worse than everyone else on the roster) will you see the worst hitter on a team bat 8th instead of ninth (in the american league), but it can be very useful, over the long haul.

Over a full season if (which is yet to happy in recent history)the pitcher bats 8th rather than 9th the outcome is a total of two whole runs.

Getz is ideal leading off as it currently stands. If we can bring in a a right handed top of the order hitter i could see the logic in moving getz to the two hole for the sake of righty/lefty/righty, though that could be debateable if getz does not show at least medicore XBH ability this season... he would be better suited sticking at one.

I personally believe getz will be just fine if we give him for than 21 games to make judgement. I am led to believe he is currently the least of our problems.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE (qwerty @ May 11, 2009 -> 07:39 PM)
No he isn't. Not here and off the top of my head no where else in the majors either. This line up is not strong enough up and down the order to put him anywhere else but either one or two. Getz would be the best nine hitter in the majors arguably. As we know nine hole hitters are generally the very worst hitter on any given team. Getz plate discipline is something no one else on this roster can give us at the moment. I do like the idea of having a very good nine hitter, which getz would be, but only if two players are brought in, who year in year out produces at the top of the order. This will be highly unrealistic as we will have even greater needs to address than the top of the line up this off season.

Only in extreme cases (when a player is signifigantly worse than everyone else on the roster) will you see the worst hitter on a team bat 8th instead of ninth (in the american league), but it can be very useful, over the long haul.

Over a full season if (which is yet to happy in recent history)the pitcher bats 8th rather than 9th the outcome is a total of two whole runs.

Getz is ideal leading off as it currently stands. If we can bring in a a right handed top of the order hitter i could see the logic in moving getz to the two hole for the sake of righty/lefty/righty, though that could be debateable if getz does not show at least medicore XBH ability this season... he would be better suited sticking at one.

I personally believe getz will be just fine if we give him for than 21 games to make judgement. I am led to believe he is currently the least of our problems.

Well put.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 11, 2009 -> 09:50 PM)
I was talking about Getz 3-4 years down the road if some of the young guys can come into their own. The ideal 1-2-3 is Danks, Beckham, and Quentin.

Ideal is Danks, Getz, Beckham, Quentin, Allen/Viciedo, etc

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 11, 2009 -> 10:10 PM)
Ideal is Danks, Getz, Beckham, Quentin, Allen/Viciedo, etc

No, the ideal is: Ricky Henderson (LF), Micky Mantle (CF), Babe Ruth (DH), Lou Gherig (1B), Joe Dimaggio (RF), Roger Hornsby (2B), etc

:)

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 11, 2009 -> 10:28 PM)
No, the ideal is: Ricky Henderson (LF), Micky Mantle (CF), Babe Ruth (DH), Lou Gherig (1B), Joe Dimaggio (RF), Roger Hornsby (2B), etc

curse you.

I do like Getz a lot. I hope he gets out of this offensive funk soon.

In his last eight games, he's 5 for 32 with 3 walks and no RBIs.

Immediately preceding this funk, he had seven out of eight games in which he had 2 or more hits with 6 RBIs and two walks.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 11, 2009 -> 11:21 PM)
I do like Getz a lot. I hope he gets out of this offensive funk soon.

In his last eight games, he's 5 for 32 with 3 walks and no RBIs.

Immediately preceding this funk, he had seven out of eight games in which he had 2 or more hits with 6 RBIs and two walks.

Lots of ways to slice and dice numbers...

Going into tonight's game, he was 4-13 (.307BA and had a .400 OBP) over the last 4 games.

The problem was that he went 1-14 in the 3 games before that... which were the first few games after coming back from his finger injury.

Didn't do too well tonight. 0-5 with 5 LOB... tough night. Had a few nice plays in the field though.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 11, 2009 -> 10:53 PM)
Where's Mays?

I suppose you could take Henderson, put Mays in there, and throw in Honus Wagner at SS and leadoff hitter.

Or, you could also take out Henderson and just replace him with Cobb.

Getz is in a slump and still has a .340 OBP and walks almost as often as he strikes out. He also flashes some speed on the basepaths and has made some smart advances to help get into scoring position. He's hit 5 doubles in his 84 AB, which equates out to over 30 for a full season, so he shows signs of developing power as time goes on. And he plays very good D at 2B. This all from a rookie. If this is Getz in a slump, then I'm pretty darn happy with him leading off for this team.

Down the line in 2010 or 2011, who knows what the team will look like. But unless he skids pretty badly the rest of the year, he looks like a lot better than a #9 hitter to me.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 11, 2009 -> 10:28 PM)

Well played sir :notworthy

I might want to put the Tiger's Ty Cobb in that #2 spot.

I think Getz profiles as an excellent two hitter in the future. If he can learn to turn that lazy fly to left, into a liner or grounder to the left side, his average will consistently hit .300. He has shown he isn't bothered by giving himself up, or by seeing a bunch of pitches, which is a big aid for guys like TCQ hitting behind him.

Guys, Danks is not a leadoff hitter. Get that idea out of your heads. He strikes out far more than a leadoff hitter should. He's a much better fit to be an ideal #3 hitter. Ie, good speed, average, hopefully a good OBP, solid power (not amazing, but 20HR power). Maybe a two hole hitter as well, but not a leadoff hitter. He'll always strike out a good amount, we just have to hope he learns to draw walks at a high rate :)

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 12, 2009 -> 11:39 AM)
Guys, Danks is not a leadoff hitter. Get that idea out of your heads. He strikes out far more than a leadoff hitter should. He's a much better fit to be an ideal #3 hitter. Ie, good speed, average, hopefully a good OBP, solid power (not amazing, but 20HR power). Maybe a two hole hitter as well, but not a leadoff hitter. He'll always strike out a good amount, we just have to hope he learns to draw walks at a high rate :)

I agree. If he were to be a leadoff hitter, he'd be in the mold of Grady Sizemore (one can only hope he becomes that good). However, I hate leadoff hitters like that and they should for sure be batting in the 3-6 spots.