Just the pitching staff

NorthSideSox72

Alright, these team overhaul threads are maybe a bit much. So let's go simple. What do you do, right now, with the pitching staff? Who do you move in or out (within the organization)? Do you change the rotation order? Bullpen/Rotation moves?

I'll throw mine out there...

MB and Danks are obviously fine.

Colon is OK, for now, but you need to have a Plan B ready for his slot.

Floyd is not fine, but I think he can BE fine. Looks to me like he's painting too much, but also not believing in his breaking stuff. His curve hasn't been as good a lot of the time this year as it was last year. I think if he can work with Coop to get more into the strike zone with his breaking stuff early in the count, and not throw away so many pitches, he'll be alright.

JC gets sent down, Ozzie puts Richard in there, but I don't think he's ready to start. I'd actually rather put Carlos Torres in the rotation and give him a shot at it first. I don't see him being spectacular by any means, but I think he can be successful for more innings than Richard could right now.

Aside from the obvious back 4 of the bullpen, the three others should be Carrasco, Gobble and Broadway. Gobble is now your LOOGY.

I send Richard back down to AAA to take Torres' spot in the rotation, because I think he can be a solid starter, but needs to get back into that mindset. if Torres struggles, Richard comes up next.

Oh and, next bullpen arm up should be Link.

So the final result is:

Buehrle

Floyd

Danks

Colon

Torres

Jenks (CL)

Linebrink (SU)

Dotel (SU)

Thornton (SU)

Broadway (LR)

Carrasco (LR, mop up)

Gobble (LOOGY)

NEXT IN PEN: Link from AAA

NEXT IN ROTATION: Richard from AAA

I love it when NSS tosses out the acronyms ;) To save someone from looking it up

LOOGY = lefty one out guy

btw, well thought out post. You probably took a few minutes writing, editing, and thinking before pressing submit -- Thank you.

Thinking about your post, there is a range of options, albeit a small range, based on the available resources. This is one that has potential to work here in May. Thinking ahead, at some point it will become what is best for development, not trying to win today. This list then becomes obsolete and someone like Colon may be dispensable.

Which highlights the kind of moves that K-Dubya and Ozzie have to be thinking about. K-Dubya has to be thinking on a longer horizon than Oz, who is thinking on a longer horizon than many fans on a message board who want to win it all, today.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 12, 2009 -> 09:37 AM)
Whats the word on Link? I skimmed through Future Sox board and didnt see anything on him. Would he be a better option than Broadway?

Link is a closer, at least for now. He has an AAP page in Future Sox, but it hasn't been updated recently.

He's in Charlotte right now as their closer, where so far he has a 2.70 ERA, 1.26 WHIP, and 21 K in 16.2 IP. Last year in AA B-Ham his ERA wasn't quite as good at 3.02, but he did have 66 K in 56.2 IP, and 35 saves, which led all pitchers in the minor leagues. He just turned 25, and was acquired in the Rob Mackowiak trade. Pads drafted him in the 25th in 2005. Has a sinking FB but velo is only in the 90-92 range, but also has an above average slider, and can throw both and his change-up consistently for strikes.

He's NOT Bobby Jenks. Different model. Closer to Keith Foulke, if even that.

It doesn't seem fixable to me in the near term. Contreras looks washed up. Lets face it he wasn't bad, he was brutal. He doesn't trusts any of his pitches and he's using all sorts of gimmicks and various deliveries that are fooling no one. Is Floyd a one year wonder? I hope not. Broadway and Richard are not and never will be Major League pitchers. They are of course welcome to prove me wrong. As for Gobble, what is it with trying to rejuvenate KC rejects? I'm not convinced about Colon, and if either Danks or Buerhle decide to slump then we're really in trouble. I just hope the group in Birmingham continues to improve. The next few years could be very rough.

MB, Danks are fine for now.

Colon will be ok for a 4th starter, will give us innings and a chance to win if offense decides to play too.

Give Poreda a shot already, let him start.

This rotation depends on Floyd, he's been awful so far, you can tell it's all in his head. IIRC he was throwing no hit ST games, KW had to tell him to calm down it's only March, the kid has the stuff, just needs to be confident.

QUOTE (tommy @ May 12, 2009 -> 02:55 PM)
Colon will be ok for a 4th starter, will give us innings and a chance to win if offense decides to play too.

His past 3 seasons suggest otherwise.

2006: 56.1 IP

2007: 99.1

2008: 39.0

QUOTE (BobDylan @ May 13, 2009 -> 08:01 PM)
His past 3 seasons suggest otherwise.

2006: 56.1 IP

2007: 99.1

2008: 39.0

You act like there's no reason for that, he just happened to not pitch much. He went down with a shoulder injury that started in 2006 and wound up requiring surgery in 2007. 2008 was spent mostly rehabbing. There's an entirely reasonable progression there, which suggests that it's entirely plausible he could give you more innings than that this season.

Guarantee he won't break down? Of course not. But all 3 of those were due to the same injury, and that injury was treated with surgery in the middle of the stretch.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2009 -> 10:03 PM)
You act like there's no reason for that, he just happened to not pitch much. He went down with a shoulder injury that started in 2006 and wound up requiring surgery in 2007. 2008 was spent mostly rehabbing. There's an entirely reasonable progression there, which suggests that it's entirely plausible he could give you more innings than that this season.

Guarantee he won't break down? Of course not. But all 3 of those were due to the same injury, and that injury was treated with surgery in the middle of the stretch.

I do? Boy... I guess, now that I look back on it, it wasn't my greatest work. If I could do it again, I'd have written that I was pointing at his injuries instead of assuming my audience could imply it.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ May 13, 2009 -> 08:11 PM)
I do? Boy... I guess, now that I look back on it, it wasn't my greatest work. If I could do it again, I'd have written that I was pointing at his injuries instead of assuming my audience could imply it.

It's all one injury though!

Here, I can play the same game.

2006: 121 IP

2007: 0 IP

2008: 76 IP.

Now, can I automatically assume this pitcher can't give me 150 innings this year? He's already thrown 40. Those are the #'s for Liriano. All 3 of those years were down years in IP because he had Tommy John Surgery. He's pitched 40 innings already this year...because he's recovered from the surgery.

It was one injury. He's had surgery. Hopefully it's corrected. There's no logical reason to assume that because he had surgery on something he can never recover.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2009 -> 10:21 PM)
It's all one injury though!

Here, I can play the same game.

2006: 121 IP

2007: 0 IP

2008: 76 IP.

Now, can I automatically assume this pitcher can't give me 150 innings this year? He's already thrown 40. Those are the #'s for Liriano. All 3 of those years were down years in IP because he had Tommy John Surgery. He's pitched 40 innings already this year...because he's recovered from the surgery.

It was one injury. He's had surgery. Hopefully it's corrected. There's no logical reason to assume that because he had surgery on something he can never recover.

Notice my use of the word "suggest" in the initial post, please. Thanks.

QUOTE (Wanne @ May 14, 2009 -> 12:28 AM)
I kinda doubt it...but he shoulda been here anyway...

That 5.18 ERA and 1.54 WHIP that he's putting up in Arizona against the weak NL West with no DH and facing the pitchers would fit in beautifully in AAA next to Jose.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2009 -> 10:44 AM)
That 5.18 ERA and 1.54 WHIP that he's putting up in Arizona against the weak NL West with no DH and facing the pitchers would fit in beautifully in AAA next to Jose.

He's had 2 awful starts and 5 good ones. He's doing a lot better than the White Sox #3 starter at the moment.