Danks promoted, Beckham to DL...

JPN366

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 12, 2009 -> 11:43 AM)
Remember, minor league Dl is just 7 days as opposed to the 15 day DL that the major leagues is.

Then why promote Danks? For just 7 days? Seems like a weird move.

I think we see Cook, or possibly Gartrell, sent to Charlotte.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 12, 2009 -> 09:55 AM)

I can't imagine they'd promote an actual prospect and then just send him back down. Someone's going to be moving up to Charlotte when Beckham is ready to go again.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 12, 2009 -> 11:57 AM)
I can't imagine they'd promote an actual prospect and then just send him back down. Someone's going to be moving up to Charlotte when Beckham is ready to go again.

Cook makes the most sense. They want Gartrell, Shelby and Danks to get time out there, Cook has been in Charlotte before, he's old and needs to move up to have even a slight chance in the majors, and Cook is not looked at as part of this elite "class" we are building in AA.

Charlotte's roster is heavy on infielders and light on outfielders.

It would make perfect sense to promote Cook since he can play multiple positions.

A change might be good for him at this point too. He absolutely dominated the Southern League last year. Destroyed it. Not sure keeping him there this year is helping him. In fact, it could be hurting him.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 12, 2009 -> 12:25 PM)
Daryle Ward was put on the DL in Charlotte, so they have an open spot for David Cook. Plus, playing time wise, Cook won't see much time with Danks in B'ham.

That pretty much seals it, IMO. Ward to DL, Cook to Charlotte.

Question, though... if Anderson or Wise do their rehab in Charlotte, do they take up a roster spot down there?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 12, 2009 -> 12:27 PM)
That pretty much seals it, IMO. Ward to DL, Cook to Charlotte.

Question, though... if Anderson or Wise do their rehab in Charlotte, do they take up a roster spot down there?

I saw a quip last night that suggested Anderson will spend a couple of days in Charlotte... probably this week... and could be back with the big club by Friday.

This could result in Lillibridge going to Charlotte. Not sure if/how that affects roster management decisions for the Knights, but it might.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ May 12, 2009 -> 12:48 PM)
I saw a quip last night that suggested Anderson will spend a couple of days in Charlotte... probably this week... and couple be back with the big club by Friday.

Good news!

Anyone know the roster rules? Does he take up a roster spot during that time for Charlotte?

Also, when Wise comes back, seems likely he stays in AAA (unless Pods goes away). That would also be a roster spot.

With Ward on the DL, who are the Charlotte starting OF's right now? Kroeger, Restovich and Negron? I'd bet Cook rotates with those guys between OF and DH. Not sure what would happen when Wise returns though.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 12, 2009 -> 01:06 PM)
Jordan Danks' very first promotion. Hopefully, the first of many.

Well, technically he was "promoted" from Kannapolis to the AFL and then he didn't go back to Kanny, so I guess that's something of a promotion.

Are Danks and Shelby the only two players in our organization that are rated 80+ for speed and power at thebaseballcube.com?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 12, 2009 -> 03:24 PM)
Well, technically he was "promoted" from Kannapolis to the AFL and then he didn't go back to Kanny, so I guess that's something of a promotion.

Are Danks and Shelby the only two players in our organization that are rated 80+ for speed and power at thebaseballcube.com?

You're assigned to the AFL, you don't get promoted there.

This was his first promotion

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 12, 2009 -> 09:55 AM)

What does promoting Danks have to do with Beckham. They play other positions so I'd imagine long term the Barons will be moving Cook up to AAA. Danks will be getting the AB's and barring a failure will be sticking in AA for the rest of the season (or a collasal success which has him promoted to Chicago, but I'd be hard pressed to see him doing anything but spend all season in Bham).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 12, 2009 -> 01:10 PM)
What does promoting Danks have to do with Beckham. They play other positions so I'd imagine long term the Barons will be moving Cook up to AAA. Danks will be getting the AB's and barring a failure will be sticking in AA for the rest of the season (or a collasal success which has him promoted to Chicago, but I'd be hard pressed to see him doing anything but spend all season in Bham).

If, hypothetically, Anderson fails when he gets benched behind Wise for the next 2/3 of the season, and D2: the Mighty Danks performs well at AA, any chance we'd see him at the end of this year/early next year in the real show? Or is he just too raw still?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 12, 2009 -> 03:10 PM)

They have nothing to do with each other - just happens to be that Beckham hits the DL the same day that Danks is promoted, which prompted the discussion of the now crowded OF in B-Ham.

Matt Inouye was released from Kanny, Zack Larson & Brandon Short were promoted to Kanny from extended spring training. Now, let's see who takes the open roster spots in Charlotte and W-S.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 12, 2009 -> 03:37 PM)
Matt Inouye was released from Kanny, Zack Larson & Brandon Short were promoted to Kanny from extended spring training. Now, let's see who takes the open roster spots in Charlotte and W-S.

Who are Zack Larson and Brandon Short?

I figured if they released Inouye, they'd bring up Dubler.

Too bad on Inouye - looked for a while like he might make a nice utility guy down the line.