5/12 Games

scenario

Infante got hit around for the 2nd outing in a row. Coming back down to earth a bit.

Cole Armstrong is playing in his 4th straight game - odd, since Lucy had played more games than him before then but they were basically alternating. I wonder if Lucy is hurt.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 12, 2009 -> 07:16 PM)
Infante got hit around for the 2nd outing in a row. Coming back down to earth a bit.

??

Last time out he gave up 1 run in 6 innings.

And this is the first game all year he's given up more than 3 runs.

Maybe KHP can do another Upchurch-esque post for Lillibridge at AAP...

Well, we know who the White Sox see as their future CFer and leadoff hitter, it's Mr. Danks.

Great game by Viciedo, nice to see him break out and start hitting the ball with authority...but he's done a great job quietly collecting RBI's despite his struggles. Now we need to get Flowers heated up again...and Retherford made only his second error of the season, not bad.

Ely, not so good. Phil Rogers mentioned him during the show tonight, and that must have been the old kiss of death.

Edited by caulfield12

First off, some good news about Slayer...his DL stint is retroactive, so he should be activated within two or three days. So, those of you who are going to Jackson, Tennessee to see the Barons, all hope is not lost. The only drawback is you may not see David Cook, because I'm pretty sure he'll get promoted to Charlotte when Beckham's activated. Secondly, I left early, when it was 12-1. But, I saw Danks' first 3 AB's. First impressions, he's definitely got the tools and the talent...and the height, goodness, I think he's actually 6'6" or 6'7". He gets down the line very quickly and he covers ground well in CF. If you were listening, he almost had a homer in his third AB. Missed by a few inches, but it may have been robbed anyway by Chris Heisey. Speaking of him, the Reds got a special player in Heisey. Carolina hit the ball hard all night, Ely and Zaleski weren't getting anything by their hitters.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 12, 2009 -> 11:34 PM)
But, I saw Danks' first 3 AB's. First impressions, he's definitely got the tools and the talent...and the height, goodness, I think he's actually 6'6" or 6'7".

^^^^^^^^^^^^

My first thought when I saw him play in the Arizona Fall League.... "OMG, he should be playing in the NBA". Very tall and very athletic.

Baseball America called him THE most athletic player in the 2008 draft.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 12, 2009 -> 11:34 PM)
First off, some good news about Slayer...his DL stint is retroactive, so he should be activated within two or three days. So, those of you who are going to Jackson, Tennessee to see the Barons, all hope is not lost. The only drawback is you may not see David Cook, because I'm pretty sure he'll get promoted to Charlotte when Beckham's activated. Secondly, I left early, when it was 12-1. But, I saw Danks' first 3 AB's. First impressions, he's definitely got the tools and the talent...and the height, goodness, I think he's actually 6'6" or 6'7". He gets down the line very quickly and he covers ground well in CF. If you were listening, he almost had a homer in his third AB. Missed by a few inches, but it may have been robbed anyway by Chris Heisey. Speaking of him, the Reds got a special player in Heisey. Carolina hit the ball hard all night, Ely and Zaleski weren't getting anything by their hitters.

Sweet, thanks for the good news. Looks like I may get to see Beckham after all... I guess that wouldn't surprise me about Danks if he has grown an inch or so considering he's only 22, but damn, that's tall for a non-pitcher.

QUOTE (scenario @ May 12, 2009 -> 08:13 PM)
Charlotte @ Scranton

Whisler vs. Wang

Carolina @ Birmingham

Ely on the mound

Lynchburg@ Winston-Salem

Game over: WS lost 6-2

Kannapolis @ Lake County

Kanny losing 4-1 in the 7th

I know everyone says hes a non-prospect but Wesley Whisler did it again. 7IP 3H 0R 3BB 2SO. ERA on the year down to 1.76

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 13, 2009 -> 07:38 AM)
I know everyone says hes a non-prospect but Wesley Whisler did it again. 7IP 3H 0R 3BB 2SO. ERA on the year down to 1.76

Yeah, at some point, he's worth a look. He's gotten this far. If Richard or Gobble falter or get hurt, I think Whisler shoudl get a call-up. Maybe look at him in September in any case.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 13, 2009 -> 01:38 PM)

He still has a brutal K/BB rate, unremarkable ground ball rate, an unsustainable HR/BIA rate, a mediocre WHIP. I don't see much to like.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ May 13, 2009 -> 07:56 AM)
He still has a brutal K/BB rate, unremarkable ground ball rate, an unsustainable HR/BIA rate, a mediocre WHIP. I don't see much to like.

Your're right. Peripherals mean a lot more than ERA. Yuo gotta look at WHIP, K/9, K/BB and such. Those tell you more about a pitcher long term than ERA, in my opinion. That's why Dex Carter's last start didn't worry me, but Whisler has horrible peripherals and likely would get crushed in the majors.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 12, 2009 -> 09:34 PM)

Wait till you see his arm in the field. I've seen Danks in person a few times and everytime I walked away impressed. The guy just makes things look so easy out there and I think to an extent people just expected him to be a mega mega star at Texas and since his numbers weren't eye-popping it lead him to fall a bit in the draft. But man the tools are there. I know Dan will agree too cause he too saw him a few times in person at the college level and also fell in love with him.

If he can fix enough of his holes in his swing, he could very well be a Sizemore type of player. Not saying he will be, but that is the type of skill-set he possesses.

Oh and this is about the time I think you should expect to see the Cuban tank break out. He's had over a month to get situated and I think this is when he adjusts and you'll see him really go on a tear. I would not be shocked to see him by August.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 13, 2009 -> 08:55 AM)
Oh and this is about the time I think you should expect to see the Cuban tank break out. He's had over a month to get situated and I think this is when he adjusts and you'll see him really go on a tear. I would not be shocked to see him by August.

I would. He still has a brutal K:BB ratio.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 12, 2009 -> 09:34 PM)

So does JorDanks have like a Jayson Werth kind of build as far as height goes?