AAP: Dayan Viciedo

dayan-viciedo.jpgAn intro from DayanViciedo.com

The Chicago White Sox continued to corner the market on talented young Cubans, agreeing with 19-year-old Dayan Viciedo to a record-setting contract Thursday night.

Viciedo’s four-year, $11 million major-league deal guarantees him more money than anyone signed out of the June draft or any player under 21 signed as an international free agent. Mark Prior’s $10.5 million bonus set the record for a college player, Detroit’s Rick Porcello received a $7.28 million major-league deal out of high school two years ago and Oakland gave 16-year-old Dominican Michel Inoa $4.25 million this year.

One year after signing another Cuban defector, Alexei Ramirez, to a four-year deal and watching him finish second in the American League Rookie of the Year voting last season, the White Sox promised Viciedo a shot at their third-base job despite him never taking a professional at-bat outside his home country.

“He’ll have to earn it, and I expect him to give a good fight for that position,” said Jaime Torres, Viciedo’s agent. “If I were a betting man, I’d be that he’s there.”

Chicago’s willingness to put Viciedo in an open competition pushed them past three other teams, Torres said, one of which was offering more than $11 million. Viciedo’s familiarity with Ramirez, as well as the presence of Cuban Jose Contreras, helped sway him toward the White Sox.

Swells of interest overwhelmed Viciedo’s initial showcase last week, when more than 100 scouts gathered in the Dominican Republic to watch him hit, run and throw. The next day, another workout drew 75 people, and Torres figured it would translate into a contract bigger than the $11 million.

“I honestly think this young man is worth a lot more,” he said.

Cuban defector Dayan Viciedo impressed with his power in his first outing in the 2009 spring training with the Sox in Glendale, hitting 2 home runs in his 26 A-game at-bats. Ozzie Guillen gave him the nickname "The Cuban Tank", a reference to Alexei Ramirez's nickname "The Cuban Missile".

The now 19 year old checks in at 5'11", 240.

Viciedo's batting is still a work in progress though, he only hit .231 in his first training camp. He struggled to start off the year after being sent to Birmingham, AA ball. He is currently hitting .214 with an OPS of .557, and has committed 7 errors at 3rd base. He has 30 k's and 2 BB's.

Worth noting; the White Sox only have Viciedo for 4 years, no matter what, so he will be up soon regardless.

Dayan @ Baseball Reference

Dayan @ Minorleaguebaseball.com

I expect him to start turning things around at the tail-end of this month and go on to have a pretty good season in Bham. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked to see him in Chicago come August (thats because I have little faith in Josh Fields).

That bat flip is going to be epic in Chicago. He's struggled quite a bit in BHam, but he's been slowly improving. Despite the average, he's been a huge run produce for them. Lot's of RBIs.

A couple of bloggers/indymedia people sat down with some folks from the Sox last night, and a key question was asked about Viciedo's contract that is totally good news and worth noting.

HAHN

*Answered a long-standing question about the contracts of Alexei Ramirez and Dayan Viciedo. Yes, both are under White Sox control for six years like any other drafted player. That makes it a helluva lot easier to be patient with Viciedo.

This is spectacular news, because it means that Viciedo still is under the Sox's control for 6-7 seasons and they don't have to worry about dumping him when he's 24...they can let him have a full year in the minors, or more if needbe, and still be able to get a slice of his prime 27-28 year old years before he really hits the big time.

The exact amount of time he's under our control depends on when his arbitration clock is started...if he's in the minors for a while, that current contract could run out before he becomes arb eligible. The Sox would likely try to take advantage of that to buy out some of his arb eligibility with a contract extension if he performs well.

HD Video of Viciedo from the side during a couple AB's. I believe Samuel L. Jackson was yelling in one of them.

I'm not sure if I like his hand positioning yet. It's possible he could be setting himself up for a fair number of strikeouts with how he works those. That's not a problem if he can take a walk as well, and I haven't seen a ton of video on him so I could be wrong but that looks to be a fairly long swing.

Final numbers for Viciedo in the month of may:

AB 116

R 11

H 34

2B 6

3B 0

HR 2

RBI 20

BB 3

SO 23

SB 1

CS 1

AVG 0.293

OBP 0.314

SLG 0.397

OPS 0.711

Significantly better than his .234 BA and .543 OPS in April, but still a long way to go. Still needs to work with the strikeouts/walks. Patience may be the key for him. Worth noting is that he closes the month on a 7 game hitting streak, hitting .414 over that stretch.

• 1 month later...

Last night's 0/6 with 2 k's didn't do much to help his numbers this month, but overall, here is how Dayan finished up June.

June

G 26

AB 107

R 23

H 29

2B 5

3B 0

HR 3

RBI 13

BB 9

SO 13

SB 2

CS 1

AVG 0.271

OBP 0.331

SLG 0.402

OPS 0.732

Best thing from his June numbers? The K/BB ratio. Prior to June, he had 42 k's and 5 BB's. He nearly tripled his walk total on the season last month. That means he's picking his pitches better.

He finished the month somewhat slowly, the 0/6 yesterday has him hitting .225 in his last 10 games. His batting average was down from .293 in May, although his OPS went up 20 points from may. He's getting there, the K/BB ratio is a good sign. If he can get that around 1:1, he'll have 1 more thing to start showing off, and that's the power. And yes, he's hit some bomb home runs, but now he needs to start hitting a lot of them.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 12:01 PM)
tell me how folks in the organization see Dayan as a 3Bman in the bigs? I see 19 errors so far and wonder, if aposition switch might be in order? Can he handle 3B defensively?

He's so young. I'm not worried about his defense yet.

• 1 month later...

It may finally have clicked for DV in July. Here's his numbers for the month:

AVG 0.303

G 24

AB 89

R 13

H 27

2B 3

3B 0

HR 4

RBI 9

BB 4

SO 12

OBP 0.354

SLG 0.472

OPS 0.826

Pretty much everything there is the best of the season except for the still too low walk totals. But his numbers since the AS game are through the roof. 4 HR, .364/.397/.636/1.033.

I think we have to temper the Miguel Cabrera Lite idea...but anything approximating Carlos Lee's career with the White Sox would still be a bargain for this guy.

He has a great arm, which is something Lee was lacking, and he seems quicker and more agile at 3B (from what I saw in ST) than Lee or Konerko ever did...not that either were close to acceptable at that position.

• 4 weeks later...

With the exception of RBI's, every one of Dayan's numbers went the wrong way in August (1 day left in the month but I'm out of town on the morrow). Lower average, OPS, 0 HR, more K's, only 3 BB's.

August

G 22

AB 86

R 11

H 23

2B 4

3B 0

HR 0

RBI 20

BB 3

SO 17

SB 0

CS 0

AVG 0.267

OBP 0.297

SLG 0.314

OPS 0.611

Those numbers are especially disappointing considering how much of a roll he was on at the end of July. Maybe he's getting a bit worn down from the season? No idea how long a Cuban season is.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dayan played in the AFL, but only got in 4 games before leaving the league with an injury. His numbers were impressive in his short stint:

4 G, 18 AB

.333/.350/.556/.906

1 2B, 1 HR, 6 RBI

1 BB vs 6 K

Should be interesting to see how he does in 2010, after steadily improving in 2009.

• 4 months later...

DV was assigned to Charlotte this year pretty early in training camp, so we didn't see much of him up with the big boys this year.

He's started off the season with his stats looking disturbingly like those of last season. 6/24 for a .250 batting average, 2 2b, 0 HR, 1 BB, 8 k's.

Don't know if it's noted in this thread yet, but he's a 1b now!

Come on kid, flex your power.org.