Sox vs. Tribe 5/13 @ 11:05

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2009 -> 01:26 PM)
Fields is 8/41 in May, hitting under .200.

Too bad Betemit has a stone glove, or that job could be his until Viciedo is ready. Fields swing has gotten really long again, after he had a really nice stroke, especially with two strikes early on. It would be different if we were even getting the power numbers from his like we did in 2007, but we aren't even getting that much.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2009 -> 07:23 PM)
I just hate how every fix we offer is going to wind up with Anderson going to the bench, or winding up in a platoon situation (and he's hitting RHP vastly better than LHP this year).

BA going to the bench is not a solution that's for sure. I hope when he is back and some others get healthy we will satrt seeing some improvement in this offesne. I don't for a minute think Cliff Lee is not a quality pitcher, but another zero run offensive showing is really a sad commnetary on this team. If I am not wrong our team offense must be last in the AL or close.

When a team gets shut out as many times as we do, that points to the hitting coach to me. We have guys who can hit on this team, Konerko, Thome, Dye and others. That tells me that Walker has to go.

Edited by Baines3

QUOTE (Baines3 @ May 13, 2009 -> 02:19 PM)
When a team gets shut out as many times as we do, that points to the hitting coach to me. We have guys who can hit on this team, Konerko, Thome, Dye and others. That tells me that Walker has to go.

The team now has been shutout as many times this year as they have allowed 8+ runs. What about the pitching coach? Sox starters minus Buerhle, have a collective ERA over 6.00.

It didn't take a genius to know today was going to be a very tough day to score runs. I suppose you can blame Walker for JD taking strike 3 with the bases loaded and then getting kicked out of the game, or blamed him for Quentin flying out with the bases loaded. Of course, that would just be silly.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 13, 2009 -> 02:09 PM)
I fully suspect Brent Lillibridge will be among the league leading hitters when they finally come to their senses and get rid of Walker.

How many times Sox been shutout in 6 weeks or scored 1 run! It is not just about today! :bringit

QUOTE (Soxfest @ May 13, 2009 -> 02:26 PM)
How many times Sox been shutout in 6 weeks or scored 1 run! It is not just about today! :bringit

Look at the line-up. Tell me who the Sox can bring right now that will make a line-up like that vs. a Cy Young award winner score the 5 runs necessary to win. Not Gary Ward. He was run out of town.

i wonder about two things, when it comes to the hitters/hitting coaches.

1) Who scouts these opposing pitchers in the minors? It seems like whenever a guy is making his big league debut, or first outing against the Sox, he dominates. Are the guys getting bad info on the pitcher, are they getting no information???

2) Whenever the Sox fall behind early, it seems like they pack it in. No motivation or drive. Fall behind 4-0 in the 5th, and you see guys either swinging for the fences, first pitch swinging constantly or dogging the run to first base. No one wants to work a count or hustle.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ May 13, 2009 -> 02:33 PM)

1) Who scouts these opposing pitchers in the minors? It seems like whenever a guy is making his big league debut, or first outing against the Sox, he dominates. Are the guys getting bad info on the pitcher, are they getting no information???

2) Whenever the Sox fall behind early, it seems like they pack it in. No motivation or drive. Fall behind 4-0 in the 5th, and you see guys either swinging for the fences, first pitch swinging constantly or dogging the run to first base. No one wants to work a count or hustle.

They did load the bases together and put together some walks and singles late in the game.

Neither Dye nor Quentin could come through with the big two-out hit.

It's not really that they gave up, per se, it's that when you have all these holes in the line-up, like Lillibridge and Betemit against a RHP and Fields the way he's going the last 10 days, there's almost no way to sustain an inning without surrendering 3 outs first.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ May 13, 2009 -> 03:33 PM)

Point 1 does seem to be a Sox problem, although teams in general tend to struggle the first time they see a guy. Clearly, the Sox appear to have a worse record in that regard than other teams, but I don't follow any other teams enough to say for sure.

Point 2 is more complex. First, all teams look bad when they fall behind by several runs. Sure, some team or teams every year will be comeback kids and end up with 20 come from behind wins, but most teams look bad when behind by 4 or more runs. Second, the Sox have a lot of HR hitters. Of course they are going to look like they are swinging for the fences. I don't think Point 2 is a "Sox" problem. It's just the way things are, especially on a team that is struggling to pitch, hit, and field.

How many times Sox been shutout in 6 weeks or scored 1 run! It is not just about today!

Like somebody said, what about the pitching then? The pitching as somebody pointed out has sucked in most all games except for Mark/Danks.

Fire Coop as well.

Ultimately KW gets the players and Oz makes the on-the-field decisions. If you want a revolving door, then fire Oz and KW and go that route.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 13, 2009 -> 02:13 PM)
Like somebody said, what about the pitching then? The pitching as somebody pointed out has sucked in most all games except for Mark/Danks.

Fire Coop as well.

Ultimately KW gets the players and Oz makes the on-the-field decisions. If you want a revolving door, then fire Oz and KW and go that route.

Even if we don't like the players on the field this season...seeing what KW has managed to do, going through 1 down season and then managing to rapidly turn around and build a team that wins the division and could have gone farther in the postseason with a few less injuries while at the same time loading up on talent moving upwards in our minor leagues and cutting salary to boot...that's pretty darn impressive.