• Yes
    • No
    • Still too early
    • He's not the bust, Greg Walker sucks

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 26, 2009 -> 08:38 PM)
Evidenced by what? We have seemed to have our fair share of lift and pull hitters over the years.
We have a team full of power hitters in a hitter's ballpark. What do you think they're going to do? Try to poke singles the other way?

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 26, 2009 -> 08:38 PM)
Evidenced by what? We have seemed to have our fair share of lift and pull hitters over the years.

Its not what he preaches. He's not going to make Jim Thome a singles hitter. Jermaine Dye has had a lot of success working with him as has Konerko who was dead in the water with Gary Ward. Carlos Quentin was a MVP guy last year. He's been hurt this season. He works with a hitter's strengths. The White Sox have been a power hitting roster for a long while. The problem with this kind of roster is the inconsistent run totals from game to game. They probably do rely on hitting homers to score too much, but that's not on the hitting coach.

If the White Sox acquired some .320 hitters, I think they would be just fine under Greg Walker.

Its a fallacy that Walker has everyone swinging from the heals.

Who has been a significantly worse hitter when they came to the Sox and who has been significantly better after leaving the White Sox and working with another hitting coach. Please take aging into consideration, and don't use Nick Swisher, because one of the reasons they dumped him was because he refused to listen to White Sox coaches. His hitting coach was Steve Swisher. The answer is nobody. Scott Podsednik hit significantly less homers with the White Sox than he did with the Brewers.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 26, 2009 -> 08:43 PM)
Its not what he preaches. He's not going to make Jim Thome a singles hitter. Jermaine Dye has had a lot of success working with him as has Konerko who was dead in the water with Gary Ward. Carlos Quentin was a MVP guy last year. He's been hurt this season.

If the White Sox acquired some .320 hitters, I think they would be just fine under Greg Walker.

Who has been a significantly worse hitter when they came to the Sox and who has been significantly better after leaving the White Sox and working with another hitting coach. Please take aging into consideration, and don't use Nick Swisher, because one of the reasons they dumped him was because he refused to listen to White Sox coaches. His hitting coach was Steve Swisher. The answer is nobody. Scott Podsednik hit significantly less homers with the White Sox than he did with the Brewers.

Wow, this is TOO easy.

AJ Pierzynski with the Twins: .301/.341/.447/.788

AJ Pierzynski with the Sox: .274/.315/.418/.733

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 26, 2009 -> 08:43 PM)
Its not what he preaches. He's not going to make Jim Thome a singles hitter. Jermaine Dye has had a lot of success working with him as has Konerko who was dead in the water with Gary Ward. Carlos Quentin was a MVP guy last year. He's been hurt this season. He works with a hitter's strengths. The White Sox have been a power hitting roster for a long while. The problem with this kind of roster is the inconsistent run totals from game to game. They probably do rely on hitting homers to score too much, but that's not on the hitting coach.

To add to something that is nearly perfect, if people want to bash Walker for the Sox hitting woes, then he MUST also get credit for turning around some awful hitters. Alexei last year comes to mind. Ditto Konerko's turn around this year.

What it comes down to is this team is still full of veterans, who know how to hit. I'm not sure how Walker makes the Sox better, considering the bad defense, spotty pitching, and overall a slow team.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 26, 2009 -> 08:53 PM)
Wow, this is TOO easy.

AJ Pierzynski with the Twins: .301/.341/.447/.788

AJ Pierzynski with the Sox: .274/.315/.418/.733

Maybe you want to look at those numbers again, because AJ actually hit .295/.332/.438/.770 with the Twins. Also, what about his year with the Giants? Is their hitting coach to blame for his .272/.319/.410/.729 year there? If so, hitting coaches should be the highest paid coaches in the game.

QUOTE (almagest @ May 26, 2009 -> 09:02 PM)
Maybe you want to look at those numbers again, because AJ actually hit .295/.332/.438/.770 with the Twins. Also, what about his year with the Giants? Is their hitting coach to blame for his .272/.319/.410/.729 year there? If so, hitting coaches should be the highest paid coaches in the game.

No offense to you, but I'd take Baseball-Reference's word before yours.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/pierza.01.shtml

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 26, 2009 -> 08:24 PM)
With all due respect, so what? He hit a ball really hard. In Chicago it would have been a homer. You have to start somewhere, and to have Fields squaring up and hitting the ball hard is a good thing for him and team, which is the most important thing. I know you have a thing against Fields, but the team really has no REAL substitute for him until Dayan Viciedo is ready, which could be next year. I don't want to hear Beckham, because the team themselves have said he isn't ready, nor Nix, because he is hitting worse than Josh.

B freaking S. Anyone with any baseball knowledge at all will tell you that Nix has looked about 100x better than Fields has at bat. Nix has had what, not even 40 AB's? And he already has the same amount of homers as Fields. Nix has had sparatic AB's, and still looks a whole ton better than Fields.

He still K'd 3 times yesterday and had another weak AB. So what, he ran into a couple. Talk to me when he shows any resemblance of a baseball player and I might reconsider my opinion of him.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 26, 2009 -> 09:06 PM)
B freaking S. Anyone with any baseball knowledge at all will tell you that Nix has looked about 100x better than Fields has at bat. Nix has had what, not even 40 AB's? And he already has the same amount of homers as Fields. Nix has had sparatic AB's, and still looks a whole ton better than Fields.

He still K'd 3 times yesterday and had another weak AB. So what, he ran into a couple. Talk to me when he shows any resemblance of a baseball player and I might reconsider my opinion of him.

Dude, seriously, stop. We know you hate Fields. Maybe avoid this thread for a while? So every time he gets a base hit, it's going to be luck? He just ran into one. Give me a freakin' break.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 26, 2009 -> 09:03 PM)
No offense to you, but I'd take Baseball-Reference's word before yours.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/pierza.01.shtml

AJ's numbers are very similar to what they were in SF. I guess that was Greg Walker's fault as well. He is hitting for more power. If he hit 6 homers a year with the Sox, people would be complaining about that.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 26, 2009 -> 09:09 PM)
Dude, seriously, stop. We know you hate Fields. Maybe avoid this thread for a while? So every time he gets a base hit, it's going to be luck? He just ran into one. Give me a freakin' break.

Stop, stop what? Stop stating my opinions? Is this not a discussion?

I really have no idea what you are getting so bent out of shape for. I'm stating my opinion. You don't like, please discuss it. Don't tell me stop.

I'm sorry to act like this, but is this not a discussion forum?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 26, 2009 -> 09:33 PM)
AJ's numbers are very similar to what they were in SF. I guess that was Greg Walker's fault as well. He is hitting for more power. If he hit 6 homers a year with the Sox, people would be complaining about that.

AJ's slugging percentage is down, his OBP is down, his average is down. Are you stating otherwise?

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 26, 2009 -> 09:46 PM)
Stop, stop what? Stop stating my opinions? Is this not a discussion?

I really have no idea what you are getting so bent out of shape for. I'm stating my opinion. You don't like, please discuss it. Don't tell me stop.

I'm sorry to act like this, but is this not a discussion forum?

You're repeating the same thing over and over and over and OVER again. We know. You're not discussing anything. You're rambling on about the same exact thing to nobody. We get the point.

The impatience is pretty hilarious here.

A few weeks ago, Fields started to fall apart, as pitchers found the weak point to manipulate (up and/or in heat). He looked bad a couple weeks, then started trying to adjust, and temporarily looked even worse. I said in here, that was actually an encouraging sign, and that he'd likely start coming around. Others echoed the same. But many of you just kept up on the FIELDS IS s*** s***, wanting to make a change NOW, like this is a video game or something.

Don't look now, but he's had hits in his last 4 games, and is 6-for-16 (.375) in that stretch.

No big power yet, though he's starting to hit the ball harder. He's coming back, just as one should expect he would. The question really is, how far "back" will he get? I don't think anyone is saying he'll be a .300 hitter, at all. But he won't be a .200 hitter either.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 27, 2009 -> 07:56 AM)
The impatience is pretty hilarious here.

A few weeks ago, Fields started to fall apart, as pitchers found the weak point to manipulate (up and/or in heat). He looked bad a couple weeks, then started trying to adjust, and temporarily looked even worse. I said in here, that was actually an encouraging sign, and that he'd likely start coming around. Others echoed the same. But many of you just kept up on the FIELDS IS s*** s***, wanting to make a change NOW, like this is a video game or something.

Don't look now, but he's had hits in his last 4 games, and is 6-for-16 (.375) in that stretch.

No big power yet, though he's starting to hit the ball harder. He's coming back, just as one should expect he would. The question really is, how far "back" will he get? I don't think anyone is saying he'll be a .300 hitter, at all. But he won't be a .200 hitter either.

Joe Crede, anyone? There was a LOT of hate for that guy until late 2005 around these parts.

QUOTE (almagest @ May 26, 2009 -> 09:02 PM)

AJ benefited from the carpet in Minnesota just like all those douchebags do right now.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 26, 2009 -> 09:06 PM)

Until last night Nix was hitting .194. The idea that we should be benching someone who was hitting .215, for someone who was batting .194 is laughable. The whole "looks 100X's better" is your bias. Neither has looked good so far, but only one has the potential to amount to something significant. Fields actually has had results at the major league level, Nix's best is far short of that. Fields might not work out, but Nix is a joke as an answer.

Wow, BearSox, I'm in the "Fields f***ing blows" camp, but Jayson Nix... really?!?!

Yes, he ran into a couple fastballs which he pulled over the left field fence yesterday, but the guy does not have a better approach than Fields, nor does he have a better outlook for the future.

That being said, Fields is awful, and will never hit higher than .245 in a Major League season. Now, if it still came with the 23 homers in 100 games pop that'd be one thing, so I guess we'll be forced to wait and see.

I'll tell you one thing though. Beckham's bat will be much more valuable at 2B. I wish Kenny weren't being so short-sighted and forcing him to learn a position in the minors just to try to scratch out a division title this year.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 26, 2009 -> 11:15 PM)
AJ's slugging percentage is down, his OBP is down, his average is down. Are you stating otherwise?

You're repeating the same thing over and over and over and OVER again. We know. You're not discussing anything. You're rambling on about the same exact thing to nobody. We get the point.

He's also a 32 year old catcher, not 24, but keep going. If AJP is ample proof Greg Walker is a bad hitting coach, there aren't any good ones in baseball.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 27, 2009 -> 08:51 AM)
Wow, BearSox, I'm in the "Fields f***ing blows" camp, but Jayson Nix... really?!?!

Yes, he ran into a couple fastballs which he pulled over the left field fence yesterday, but the guy does not have a better approach than Fields, nor does he have a better outlook for the future.

That being said, Fields is awful, and will never hit higher than .245 in a Major League season. Now, if it still came with the 23 homers in 100 games pop that'd be one thing, so I guess we'll be forced to wait and see.

I'll tell you one thing though. Beckham's bat will be much more valuable at 2B. I wish Kenny weren't being so short-sighted and forcing him to learn a position in the minors just to try to scratch out a division title this year.

I think Kenny wants Getz and Beckham on the same infield, and I do too. Beckham is going to force his way on the field one way or another, and right now the weakest link is Josh, because Getz and Alexei have both been better of late.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2009 -> 08:47 AM)
Until last night Nix was hitting .194. The idea that we should be benching someone who was hitting .215, for someone who was batting .194 is laughable. The whole "looks 100X's better" is your bias. Neither has looked good so far, but only one has the potential to amount to something significant. Fields actually has had results at the major league level, Nix's best is far short of that. Fields might not work out, but Nix is a joke as an answer.

Fine, keep telling yourself that a .194 average means anything when a player has had only 36 AB's, and might I add 36 sporadic AB's. Lets say Nix goes on a little hot streak and goes 8 for his next 15 AB's. His average will already be over .300. But again, that doesn't really mean s***. It is idiotic to use average as any type of indicator of how a hitter is in only 36 AB's. It is equally idiotic to boast about a high average in 36 AB's as well. The earliest BA is relevant is past 100 AB's.

It's not a matter of bias. Nix looks a whole lot better up there than Fields. Nix looks nice and relaxed up there with a good stance and good approach with a nice swing. Fields is all tight and wound up at bat, with a bad approach and a looooooooong swing. If that's not looking better at plate, I don't know what is.

And there is no reason not to think Nix has a ton of potential in his own right. Former 1st round pick who was a highly regarded prospect. He fizzled out in Colorado, but then again, Colorado had to get rid of someone with all the MI they have now. And he is still only 26, going on to 27 in August. And so far, Nix is showing some of those tools that made him such a highly regarded prospect. Good speed, great range defensively, and really good power.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 26, 2009 -> 11:15 PM)

So, I'm not suppossed to give my reply back to someone who replies to me? I'm sorry, but that's stupid.

If you disagree with me fine, tell me where I'm wrong and I counter you. But telling me to stop, really?