BearSox

Is Josh Fields a bust?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Josh Fields

• Yes
    • No
    • Still too early
    • He's not the bust, Greg Walker sucks

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 27, 2009 -> 08:51 AM)
Wow, BearSox, I'm in the "Fields f***ing blows" camp, but Jayson Nix... really?!?!

Yes, he ran into a couple fastballs which he pulled over the left field fence yesterday, but the guy does not have a better approach than Fields, nor does he have a better outlook for the future.

That being said, Fields is awful, and will never hit higher than .245 in a Major League season. Now, if it still came with the 23 homers in 100 games pop that'd be one thing, so I guess we'll be forced to wait and see.

I'll tell you one thing though. Beckham's bat will be much more valuable at 2B. I wish Kenny weren't being so short-sighted and forcing him to learn a position in the minors just to try to scratch out a division title this year.

Tell me how Nix does not have a better approach than Nix. Please tell me. From watching them, they look like two complete opposites.

Please tell me what Nix is doing wrong at bat.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 27, 2009 -> 09:02 AM)
Fine, keep telling yourself that a .194 average means anything when a player has had only 36 AB's, and might I add 36 sporadic AB's. Lets say Nix goes on a little hot streak and goes 8 for his next 15 AB's. His average will already be over .300. But again, that doesn't really mean s***. It is idiotic to use average as any type of indicator of how a hitter is in only 36 AB's. It is equally idiotic to boast about a high average in 36 AB's as well. The earliest BA is relevant is past 100 AB's.

It's not a matter of bias. Nix looks a whole lot better up there than Fields. Nix looks nice and relaxed up there with a good stance and good approach with a nice swing. Fields is all tight and wound up at bat, with a bad approach and a looooooooong swing. If that's not looking better at plate, I don't know what is.

And there is no reason not to think Nix has a ton of potential in his own right. Former 1st round pick who was a highly regarded prospect. He fizzled out in Colorado, but then again, Colorado had to get rid of someone with all the MI they have now. And he is still only 26, going on to 27 in August. And so far, Nix is showing some of those tools that made him such a highly regarded prospect. Good speed, great range defensively, and really good power.

Um, its not like he was killing Fields in any of the other statistical catetgories either... In reality if Nix were THAT good, the Sox weren't going to get him on a minor league contract. I trust major league baseball GMs over your opinion. Also realize that the biggest hole your "sporadic" AB argument has in it, is that the team is putting Nix into games specificly picked to give him the best opportunity to succeed. Fields is going out there every day against all tough pitching. It is exceeding idiotic to not recognize that fact at all. Nix was batting .194 with this built in bonus. Imagine if he was in there facing tough top of the line guys instead of all cherry picked chances.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 27, 2009 -> 10:06 AM)
Tell me how Nix does not have a better approach than Nix. Please tell me. From watching them, they look like two complete opposites.

They look exactly the same to me.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 27, 2009 -> 12:15 AM)
AJ's slugging percentage is down, his OBP is down, his average is down. Are you stating otherwise?

Sounds like he's getting older. AJ has has the lion's share of playing time for about 5 years now. It's only natural given his approach at the plate that eventually he'd falter and would have a low OBP.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 27, 2009 -> 09:06 AM)

I think their approaches are very similar.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2009 -> 09:06 AM)
Um, its not like he was killing Fields in any of the other statistical catetgories either...

It still doesn't matter, it's been 40 AB's. But if you really want stats, here's a stat: In less than 1/3 the amount AB's, Nix has 1 more homer than Fields.

In reality if Nix were THAT good, the Sox weren't going to get him on a minor league contract. I trust major league baseball GMs over your opinion.

I didn't think much of Nix when we first signed him either. But he has shown a very good approach and swing, and he is earning the right to get some playing time to show what he does have. Fields has had his chance this year, and he has sucked. If we want to put a competitive and young team out there, we gotta look in a different direction than Josh at 3B.

Also realize that the biggest hole your "sporadic" AB argument has in it, is that the team is putting Nix into games specificly picked to give him the best opportunity to succeed. Fields is going out there every day against all tough pitching. It is exceeding idiotic to not recognize that fact at all. Nix was batting .194 with this built in bonus. Imagine if he was in there facing tough top of the line guys instead of all cherry picked chances.

Putting him in situations too succeed? A lot of ball players don't succeed unless they have consistent AB's. It's tough for a lot of players to go in cold and just hit. Also, was the pitcher last night not one of the Angels top starters? And Fields hasn't shown s*** vs. anyone. So even when he is facing crappy pitchers, he still doesn't hit.

Nix can be a GG defender Fields is below average and has zero range. Nix appears to be able to play just about every position on the field. Fields can barely play one.

Neither has proven to be able to hit consistently at the MLB level.

Sox won last night because of defense. It was nice to see.

I will not go BEARSOX here but I think Nix deserves a decent shot at some time.

I also think Anderson needs to bat 9th and Fields 6th. Fields seems to do better in pressure situations that allow him to swing away as oppossed to the numebr two slot in the order.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 27, 2009 -> 09:16 AM)
It still doesn't matter, it's been 40 AB's. But if you really want stats, here's a stat: In less than 1/3 the amount AB's, Nix has 1 more homer than Fields.

I didn't think much of Nix when we first signed him either. But he has shown a very good approach and swing, and he is earning the right to get some playing time to show what he does have. Fields has had his chance this year, and he has sucked. If we want to put a competitive and young team out there, we gotta look in a different direction than Josh at 3B.

Putting him in situations too succeed? A lot of ball players don't succeed unless they have consistent AB's. It's tough for a lot of players to go in cold and just hit. Also, was the pitcher last night not one of the Angels top starters? And Fields hasn't shown s*** vs. anyone. So even when he is facing crappy pitchers, he still doesn't hit.

So essentially your answer is that we can't look at any results in Nix's, so the fact that Nix hasn't been any better this year doesn't matter, it is just that according you he looks better. There is no point in arguing with anti-logic like that. Go ahead with your pitchforks and torches, because there is no point in trying to talk intelligently to you about this.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2009 -> 09:26 AM)
So essentially your answer is that we can't look at any results in Nix's, so the fact that Nix hasn't been any better this year doesn't matter, it is just that according you he looks better. There is no point in arguing with anti-logic like that. Go ahead with your pitchforks and torches, because there is no point in trying to talk intelligently to you about this.

You don't look at the stats for Nix or any player who has had such a limited amount of AB's. You look at how they look at bat, and their overall approach to the game. Nix has shown a real good approach at bat, and shows a really good feeling for the game of baseball. That tells me that he has a shot.

Tell me, why would stats mean anything in 40 AB's? You could go 10 for your next 10 and raise your BA, OBP, and SLG over 100 points. That doesn't mean s***. All players go through either cold or hot spells.

Give Nix a hundred more AB's, or hell, even 50, than I'll take the stats more into account.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2009 -> 10:26 AM)

BearSox is... well... over the top (as usual) but he does have a point. Nix's sample size is small, and he is an inexperienced former first-round pick with sporadic ABs, so his low batting average can be misleading. If he's made improvements, it won't show that way unless he plays every day. It's the same logic Anderson supporters use.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 27, 2009 -> 09:45 AM)
BearSox is... well... over the top (as usual) but he does have a point. Nix's sample size is small, and he is an inexperienced former first-round pick with sporadic ABs, so his low batting average can be misleading. If he's made improvements, it won't show that way unless he plays every day. It's the same logic Anderson supporters use.

I call that speaking da truth :D

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 27, 2009 -> 09:45 AM)

His sample size is small because he isn't that good! If there were people that really believed in him, one of the worst teams in baseball wouldn't have released him, and all of the teams wouldn't have passed on him. You could argue sample size just as easily for Fields if wanted to. And like I said, Nix is getting the advantage of being matched up where he can succeed best, versus Fields who is out there everyday.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2009 -> 10:16 AM)
His sample size is small because he isn't that good! If there were people that really believed in him, one of the worst teams in baseball wouldn't have released him, and all of the teams wouldn't have passed on him. You could argue sample size just as easily for Fields if wanted to. And like I said, Nix is getting the advantage of being matched up where he can succeed best, versus Fields who is out there everyday.

Come on, teams pass on guys all the time, either they dont have the roster space to take the risk or they dont feel the player has a chance, but that doesnt mean the player can improve or be overlooked.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2009 -> 10:16 AM)

Yeah, Pujols sucks. Come on, he wasn't drafted until the 13th round! And Mark Buehrle especially sucks, he wasn't drafted until the 38th round.

Oh, can't forget about Johan Santana and Dan Uggla! They are so bad, their original teams didn't even feel they were good enough to make the 40 man roster.