Baseball Rules

knightni

7/10 because the test is hard, and in 30+ years have not seen some of the scenarios nor read the rule book.

Missed an easy one. And have a complaint about another. Oops, thought through it and realize my mistake. Great quiz.

i got 8 of 10....i missed the stupid how many ways to get to 1st base one....and "A runner is on first with no outs. The batter hits a line drive that accidentally hits the runner, still standing on first, in the leg. The ball rolls to the first-baseman, who tags the bag. What’s the call?"......i should have known that one though

I got 7 of 10 as well. The one about how many ways a player can reach 1B was complete BS anyway, as some of the rules aren't even enforced.

I f***ed up on the one about the player standing on 1B getting hit in the leg. After I clicked the wrong answer, I immediately released how stupid I was.

And for the last one about ERA, how the hell did they get 4.76?

ERA = (Earned Runs X 9) divided by (Total Innings Pitched)

It says that the pitcher gave up 2 runs in the first five innings (doesn't specify if they are earned or not though). Then it says the in the sixth (again, doesn't really specify if it's the sixth inning, or going into the pitchers sixth inning of work), it says he puts the first two runners on, gets the next two outs, and then is taken out for a relief pitcher who gives up a hit scoring one run, but then gets out of the inning.

Am I stupid, or is the final line on the pitcher 5.2 IP, and at least 1 ER (could be 3 ER, but they didn't specify in the first) given up?

How in hell is the ERA than 4.76?

I missed the number of ways to get to first.

I also missed an easy one about the runner on first. I did not see the difference between tagging the runner first or second.

And the balk, but I just misread the question. I'll admit a couple were guesses on my part. I only *knew*, with absolute certainty, 4 or 5.

I got 8 out of 10. Honestly, I cheated on the ways to get to first. I was just really curious. I was only able to come up with like 5 ways to get to first on my own.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE (daa84 @ May 14, 2009 -> 05:47 AM)
i got 8 of 10....i missed the stupid how many ways to get to 1st base one....and "A runner is on first with no outs. The batter hits a line drive that accidentally hits the runner, still standing on first, in the leg. The ball rolls to the first-baseman, who tags the bag. What’s the call?"......i should have known that one though

Those are the same two I missed. I had no idea on the amount of ways you can get to 1st base and than on the other one I still think I'm right but apparently I was wrong.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 14, 2009 -> 05:49 AM)
I got 7 of 10 as well. The one about how many ways a player can reach 1B was complete BS anyway, as some of the rules aren't even enforced.

I f***ed up on the one about the player standing on 1B getting hit in the leg. After I clicked the wrong answer, I immediately released how stupid I was.

And for the last one about ERA, how the hell did they get 4.76?

ERA = (Earned Runs X 9) divided by (Total Innings Pitched)

It says that the pitcher gave up 2 runs in the first five innings (doesn't specify if they are earned or not though). Then it says the in the sixth (again, doesn't really specify if it's the sixth inning, or going into the pitchers sixth inning of work), it says he puts the first two runners on, gets the next two outs, and then is taken out for a relief pitcher who gives up a hit scoring one run, but then gets out of the inning.

Am I stupid, or is the final line on the pitcher 5.2 IP, and at least 1 ER (could be 3 ER, but they didn't specify in the first) given up?

How in hell is the ERA than 4.76?

5/2/3 innings with 3 runs given up. If he had given up 3 runs in 6 innings it would have been a 4.5 ERA, so in this case he had a little less, thus if you do the math, his ERA was actually 4.76.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ May 14, 2009 -> 10:14 AM)
8/10. I missed number of ways to reach first base, and I did not answer #9 because I didn't think any answers were correct. I still don't think the answer they gave is right. How can you tag a runner out when he is standing on a base?

He is forced out.

9/10. Didn't get #3 and didn't want to guess. didn't bother to think about trade replacements, but I didn't want to guess. I didn't look at the ESPN article bu off the top of my head I came up with:

Single

reach on a dropped ball (error) reaching on a throwing error. Not sure if they are the same

Force out

Fielder's choice

HBP

Pinch running, replacing an injured player (think they are the same)

dropped third strike

Walk, inntenional walk (not sure if they count the same)

sac fly (if the OF drops the ball it counts as sac fly and an error, but I'm not sure if it's separate from reaching on an error.) The Yankees had 3 sac flies in an inning a few years ago.

There are was an umpire can call a ball with a pitch being thrown, but its not a balk.

An umpire calls a ball if a pitcher touches his tounge with his foot on the rubber. Brendan Donnelly was going berserk when getting it called on him a few years ago against the Sox. I think that's what you were trying to say.

5/2/3 innings with 3 runs given up. If he had given up 3 runs in 6 innings it would have been a 4.5 ERA, so in this case he had a little less, thus if you do the math, his ERA was actually 4.76.

Just using logic the pitcher had 5.2 innings under his belt so his ERA wouldn't be an even 3.00, 4.50 or 6.

QUOTE (daa84 @ May 14, 2009 -> 07:47 AM)

8 of 10 as well missing the exact same 2.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 14, 2009 -> 11:38 AM)

I'm such a retard. Instead of putting 5 and 2/3 or .667, I was putting in 5.2 like a f***ing idiot. I feel really stupid now.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 14, 2009 -> 09:48 AM)
7/10, and question 3 is just stupid and doesn't reflect any actual baseball knowledge. If they wanted to go obscure rules, then ask about one of them specifically.

I read this thread without participating in that lame quiz. There is no way anyone could have gotten all ten ''right''

Those obscure rules you mentioned are in no way rules in the first place. 23 is far from the right number of ways to reach first base. A walk and intentional walk are the very same thing. ''If a game is suspended with a runner on first and that player is traded prior to the makeup, another player can take his place'' is most definitely incorrect... that player would just be classified as a pinch runner. Fielders interference? Fielders do not interfer, though they do obstruct. Spectator interference? Goes into the boxscore as hit. Etc, etc, etc.

Edited by qwerty