5/14 Games

flavum

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 14, 2009 -> 02:42 PM)
I guess Gerst is one of those guys who does better at the higher levels.

I was surprised to see that he took Danks' place in W-S but Bureau was on here a couple years ago saying that Gerst was a legit prospect with Jacoby Ellsbury type skills. The jump to high-A is a time where you can really see if a player has the goods or if he's just a fake getting by on talent alone.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 14, 2009 -> 01:54 PM)
Winston-Salem blew a 5-1 lead in the 9th. Lost 6-5 in 10.

Anthony Carter 7.1 IP, 1 hit, 1 run, 2 walks, 7 K's

Mollenhauer 1-5

Marrero 2-3, BB, 2B, R, RBI

Gerst 2-4, HR, 2 RBI

Former White Sox great Michael Dubee with the save.

Kyle "I'm Not Lance Broadway, but close though" McCulloch with another solid start.

Birmingham

Player IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA

McCulloch 7.0 6 3 1 2 5 1 3.48

Edited by Thunderbolt

Kanny beat Lakewood 4-1

Nathan Jones picks up the win in relief.

Check out these numbers for Kannapolis pitchers today...

17 strikeouts and ZERO walks. :o

(Sauer 8, O'Neil 1, Jones 5, and Remenowsky 3.)

I have my fingers crossed and I'm knocking on wood as I say this, but Nathan Jones looks like he's starting to figure out where the strikezone is... and that could be a very interesting and good thing.

On the season, he has 21 K's vs. 6 BBs in 14.2 innings.

Also, Steven Sauer has 26 K's and 1BB on the season. Nice ratio.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ May 14, 2009 -> 07:14 PM)
Kanny beat Lakewood 4-1

I have my fingers crossed and I'm knocking on wood as I say this, but Nathan Jones looks like he's starting to figure out where the strikezone is... and that could be a very interesting and good thing.

If Jones finds command, we have a guy that will be filthy at the major league level.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 14, 2009 -> 07:54 PM)
Is their any reason not to promote him to AAA, at this point? He's been treading water at AA for years, they might as well just give him a push.

I think they will. I wonder if they have Hudson fast tracked and we see him get promoted in a month or month and a half (and McCulloch go up at that point). That is of course assuming Hudson handles Winston Salem well.

QUOTE (scenario @ May 14, 2009 -> 09:14 PM)
Kanny beat Lakewood 4-1

Talk about a perfect guy for Don Cooper... Plus arm who can't find the strike zone. He sounds a lot like Matt Thornton was when he got here.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2009 -> 08:25 PM)
Talk about a perfect guy for Don Cooper... Plus arm who can't find the strike zone. He sounds a lot like Matt Thornton was when he got here.

Um...also sounds like our entire 2007 bullpen. Mike MacDougal, David Aardsma...

Nothing much to report tonight. Clevelan Santeliz was throwing gas tonight, hitting 98 and 97 consistently, plus being "effectively wild." You guys really need to see Stefan Gartrell, how he's not a prospect blows my mind. After the game, I asked Aaron Poreda when he's going up to Chicago, I told him that'll be sooner rather than later. He got a good laugh out of that, although I didn't catch what he said back. You guys are going to like him as a Major Leaguer, he's really personable.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 14, 2009 -> 08:43 PM)
I'd love to see some film on Nathan Jones.

He throws pure filth but was just crazy wild in college. He had trouble finding the strike zone some last year too but seems to be putting it together. Reportedly he sits in the upper 90's with his fastball and has a curve that is just a hammer.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ May 14, 2009 -> 10:41 PM)
He throws pure filth but was just crazy wild in college. He had trouble finding the strike zone some last year too but seems to be putting it together. Reportedly he sits in the upper 90's with his fastball and has a curve that is just a hammer.

His curve is one of the nastiest curves I've seen the past year or two. Its a big time hammer, but his delivery is a wreck and this spring I talked to my friends and basically we all thought there was pretty small odds on him ever being able to repeat that thing. But if he does, wow. And his velocity is a bit over the place or at least it was this spring, one game he'd be upper 90's and unhittable, next game low 90's.

However, thats the spring. And if he at all finds command, look out.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 15, 2009 -> 07:42 AM)
Cook didn't play for B-Ham, system-wide filler guy Javier Colina DH'd instead. Adding fuel to the fire of Cook going to Charlotte rumors.

Can Cook play CF at all? If so, yeah, he'll be the likely call up.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 15, 2009 -> 03:14 PM)
Can Cook play CF at all? If so, yeah, he'll be the likely call up.

He's played all three OF positions in his time in the minors. People here have said he does well at all three, but I haven't read any actual scouting material on the topic.

Looking at his minor league splits by position, he has played CF a fair amount - 50 games in the last 4 seasons. 2008 with B-Ham (his last CF work) he played 22 there, and 39 in right. He is given a +1 in both CF and RF in 2008 on minorleaguesplits.com. So he's probably at least passable, but, that's as far as the stats go.